Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but then why tender Bundy who is in a very similar situation? If you going to go all cold and heartless, do you really think Bundy s going to bring much back in trade?

I think there's some chance Bundy brings back more in a trade.  But I don't know for sure. Bundy will not be making $10M this year.

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

FWIW, I think that Elias’ “this gives us a chance to use younger players” is total BS.  Who?  Richie Martin?  Can’t wait.  But, he was determined to cut payroll and he accomplished that.

Yeah, he was seriously reaching there. There is no reason to act like McCoy or Bannon played into this decision at all. This was purely a move to save $3-$5 million from the operating budget next year. Whether that money goes back into the organization or not remains to be seen, but it's a bad precedence in my mind to dump a player like this for basically a low-ceiling lottery ticket.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's trading wins 56, 57, and maybe 58 in 2020 for wins 92 and 93 in a few years.  Hopefully.

You should care about the payroll if that's taking resources away from building the organization and redirecting them to a few extra wins for a 5th-place team next season.

How does this add wins in a few years?  The money saved is going straight into the Angelos' family's pocket.  The player we received will never amount to anything in the majors.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Giving Villar $10M dollars would have been like putting expensive rims and a high end stereo system in a '92 Hyundai Excel. Whether you like the return or not this was the right decision and a terrible one for the Marlins, who seem to have zero direction under Jeter. 

If the money is being banked for future use on a winning team or reinvested into the team to give it an advantage, then I can't argue with that assessment. If it's to just line the owners pockets then they are discounting the paying customers. 

Say what you want about Villar, he was a fun player to watch last year and helped make a bad team tolerable to watch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

How does this add wins in a few years?  The money saved is going straight into the Angelos' family's pocket.  The player we received will never amount to anything in the majors.  

If we're going to assume that all funds not spent go straight to the Angelos' yacht payments and not a penny goes back into the team, then sure, let's have a $175M payroll every year.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but then why tender Bundy who is in a very similar situation? If you going to go all cold and heartless, do you really think Bundy s going to bring much back in trade?

Easily more than Villar and it’s less of a financial risk. 

I never buyed this argument.  If there are multiple teams interested in a player it drivess up return. If only one team is interested you get less return.  If you only have one team interested and you have to trade him than you might get less value.

But as we see in Free Agency guys that only have one team interested in them can do quite well with a good guy bargaining for him.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm pretty sure the other GM's around baseball had a pulse of what was going on in the situation and I bet there's been fluid talks re Villar trade since about June of last season.  I don't think anyone involved was surprised.  The surprise was likely the Marlins actually trading something for him.  

In past regimes posters were pissed that they couldn’t get “insider Info” because McPhail played his cards tight to his sweater vest”

No details were out other than that they were shopping this guy or that guy.

The only information out there that should’ve been available was that he was available due to the fact that we are rebuilding.

The other information wasn’t “the Pulse” of the situation. It was a serious blunder that destroyed their negotiating position.

The Marlins traded for him because they were one of an unknown amount of teams that was more than one that put in a claim. They decided to give up a marginal prospect rather than a bidding war in free agency.

They have to go through the arbitration process that I recall you said would never happen because no one was going to pay him $10 million.

I think they will avoid arb by agreeing to a contract and if he has a good year try to deal him at the deadline. As they are nearly as bad as we are.

All they need to do to win the deal is get more than Easton.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well it just so happens the parties involved in trading for Villar might not be the "best" GM's in baseball.  Cincinnati would be being praised on every national baseball site this morning if they would've picked up Villar.  Instead they signed a player that plays the same position as their best player.  Villar would've been a perfect fit for SD and their leadoff need.  Now they picked up Profar, who is more of a #6-#8 type hitter in a lineup, but hey... they saved 5 million.  :bangwall:

No doubt there were some headscratcher moves being made.  If I thought I was contender and needed a second baseman, Villar would be on my radar when the team is trying to give him away. SD seemed like the perfect fit. Weirdness.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The players they pick with the better draft position.  ?

Maybe.  I'm fine with trading your veterans away for prospects, going with young players and taking your lumps for a few years, and getting high draft picks is part of the benefit of this strategy.  But for some reason I draw the line at "let's give away a good player for nothing just so we can save some money and lose more games to get a better draft pick."  To me there's a fine line between rebuilding and fan abuse, and this trade crossed the line for me.  

2 hours ago, Nite said:

To those saying Villar was given up for nothing need to realize they had already decided to give him up for nothing, and were able to get a scratch off ticket in the end. I'll take that over nothing. 

We'll all take something over nothing, but let's not dust off the HoF mantle for Elias for this move. By indicating the Orioles were most likely not going to tender Villar, any value he did have plummeted. Obviously Villar did not carry a ton of value for whatever reason, but in the end, this was nothing more than a financial decision and we have no way of knowing whether that savings is being re-invested into the team.

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Maybe.  I'm fine with trading your veterans away for prospects, going with young players and taking your lumps for a few years, and getting high draft picks is part of the benefit of this strategy.  But for some reason I draw the line at "let's give away a good player for nothing just so we can save some money and lose more games to get a better draft pick."  To me there's a fine line between rebuilding and fan abuse, and this trade crossed the line for me.  

I'm sure it was about money and not draft position.

13 hours ago, section18 said:

Now what will we get for Bundy, Givens and Mancini? They will be dealt in San Diego at the Winter meetings the week of the 8th -12th if not sooner. Count on it. Maybe we can bring the Norfolk team to Baltimore in 2020.

Just hope it's something better than a 23 year old college senior draft pick that looks like a poor man's John Means.