If you are going to move Villar to save money you might as well release Davis

atomic

50 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It does the opposite of saving money. It costs $563,500. 

Davis was a lot better last year than 2018. He actually had three productive month-long chunks of games, April 13 - May 17 (.273/.341/.506), June 21 - July 21 (.300/.357/.460), August 28 - September 28 (.222/.364/.500 although only 11 games). 

For three months he was actually a productive player, although he played like absolute garbage the rest of the season, March 28 - April 12 (.000/.132/.000), May 18 - June 19 (.093/.183/.130), July 22 - August 27 (.105/.232/.228).

If he was merely mediocre during his cold stretches rather than worse than a pitcher, he would have been at least replacement level.

My guess is that they want to give the new coaching staff one final crack at him before releasing him.

Nobody, including Davis is trying to fix Davis anymore. Davis basically said so himself when he said he had no intention of going to any hitting school this off season. There is no magic coach that can fix what is broken beyond repair.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nobody, including Davis is trying to fix Davis anymore. Davis basically said so himself when he said he had no intention of going to any hitting school this off season. There is no magic coach that can fix what is broken beyond repair.

I believe he did say he's working with someone Elias asked him to work with, though. Additionally, they started a new routine late last season that he plans to carry over. I'm not 100% on that, but I thought I read something like that.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I believe he did say he's working with someone Elias asked him to work with, though. Additionally, they started a new routine late last season that he plans to carry over. I'm not 100% on that, but I thought I read something like that.

I'll wait until next spring and let Jim Palmer tell us what he actually did this offseason! :D

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I have a weird feeling if he can't hack it for most of the season, there will be some kind of unprecedented thing that will happen. Like, he will actually decide to retire. Or they'll start some kind of Orioles charitable fund with his salary. Or he'll be a figurehead for the O's charitable work as a whole. They'll find SOME way to not just DFA and be done. Davis will have some kind of role that makes ownership feel better about the terrible contract.

Just my gut on it. 

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Oh, I know, and I don't expect anything, I have been pushing for him to be released. Hopefully if he does nothing in Spring Training and other players are clearly better he will be let go at the end of March before the season starts, like Jay Gibbons was.

Though I expect that DJ Stewart not being ready until around Opening Day and wanting to play service time games with Mountcastle will probably keep him on the Opening Day roster.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

First of all, I can't believe atomic is still here.

Second, Davis has nothing to do with Villar.  It's an apples and beets comparison.

Third, I am all in favor of releasing Davis.  I think it's the one thing we can all agree on.

Beets are terrible, Villar isn't.  Man you messed up big time.  Beets to apples!

One of our strategic objectives is to finish among the worst teams in baseball so that we can have a strong draft position.  Moving Villar worsens our team and improves the Marlins.  Keeping Davis keeps our team mediocre.  I think someone once posted the expected WAR by draft position.  If dealing Villar helps us finish one slot worse in ranking and one slot better in draft position, then dealing Villar away might sell itself.

2020 will be a lot like 2019 - trying to field a bottom three major league team while not playing an embarrassing brand of baseball on the field - not in terms of W-L, but in terms of avoiding looking like the Bad News Bears.  At the same time, take a few fliers on young guys available in the Rule V draft and elsewhere, promote some prospects to the majors and try to make strides towards 2021/22. 

14 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

One of our strategic objectives is to finish among the worst teams in baseball so that we can have a strong draft position.  Moving Villar worsens our team and improves the Marlins.  Keeping Davis keeps our team mediocre.  I think someone once posted the expected WAR by draft position.  If dealing Villar helps us finish one slot worse in ranking and one slot better in draft position, then dealing Villar away might sell itself.

2020 will be a lot like 2019 - trying to field a bottom three major league team while not playing an embarrassing brand of baseball on the field - not in terms of W-L, but in terms of avoiding looking like the Bad News Bears.  At the same time, take a few fliers on young guys available in the Rule V draft and elsewhere, promote some prospects to the majors and try to make strides towards 2021/22. 

I agree.

Goal #1 - Get #1 pick in 2021

Chris Davis is not only taking up a roster spot. He's taking up the easiest one to find a replacement for (hitters).  If we had to some massively over-paid and old SS. That wouldn't be as much of an issue. You're not likely to see a ton of those pass waivers besides light hitting glove first types.

You do often see decent hitters with no/limited defensive profile pass thru waivers. Guys that do have some chance of bouncing back/hitting well.

Edited by Scalious

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree.

Goal #1 - Get #1 pick in 2021

Fans and websites are already giving the Orioles grief for tanking, but what are you gonna do - the tanking system works. And we should absolutely be taking advantage of it. Why wouldn't we in this division? 

Baseball is set up this way, I don't think you can blame teams for tanking at all. It's (part of) a proven method for small-to-mid market winning. Sucks! But I'm glad Elias gets that. The hell with the critics. I will see those same critics in 5 years when they're all praising our smart/well-run organization and farm system. Just like they did with the Rays, just like they did with the Astros.  

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Fans and websites are already giving the Orioles grief for tanking, but what are you gonna do - the tanking system works. And we should absolutely be taking advantage of it. Why wouldn't we in this division? 

Baseball is set up this way, I don't think you can blame teams for tanking at all. It's (part of) a proven method for small-to-mid market winning. Sucks! But I'm glad Elias gets that. The hell with the critics. I will see those same critics in 5 years when they're all praising our smart/well-run organization and farm system. Just like they did with the Rays, just like they did with the Astros.  

The big market teams can sure blame them. They are footing the bill to cover the teams operating cost while you don't attract any fans to the stands.

I agree completely, however releasing Davis is not about saving money, because as people mention every single time this topic comes up, the money has already been spent. Releasing Davis is about sending a signal to the fans, and about opening up an important spot on the roster. It has nothing to do with saving money. But yes, they should dump Davis.