Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

32 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I do think the competition for starting spots at Frederick, Bowie and Norfolk will be fiercer than in the past so we should have fewer 28+ year-old gap fillers who will serve as the 6th-9th starters for the Orioles, which will be nice.

You’re going to see lots of piggybacking early on. Competition drives success. Pitchers will want to start. Let the cream rise to the top. 

At this point you gotta say our 2019 draft was really good, and we’re fixing the 2018 draft. Cadyn Grenier. 

It’s similar to how we acquired the two guys from the 2018 int’l signing period for Cashner. 

Keep in mind that we have good data on these college pitchers from 2019. They aren’t just some random guys the Angels were offering. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yep. Mancini would be a truly bittersweet trade (I don't really buy that descriptor for Bundy), but I can't say I'd be against it. That said, I also don't agree that Mancini will 100% miss a window of competitive Orioles baseball, nor do I think it's all that bad to have a guy like him help usher in the next wave. 

But - if we're going for a full firesale, then giddyup.

Why put Trea through the pain of beling the only guy left after this purge?

I agree ...its now time to rip the whole Bandaid off!

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Good return.  Define good return and then expect less.  Mancini is a DH who put up solid numbers last year.  Is that his new normal?  

We have Nunez, Mountcastle, and Stewart.  We can get a DH and 1B out of that group.

Mountcastle may be as good a hitter as Mancini in a couple of years.    Nunez and Stewart never will be.    I think many posters underrate Mancini.    First of all, he’s not bad at 1B at all.    Not an OF, but at least he can play it in a pinch.   Second, he’s a very good hitter.     Great approach and a willing learner.    I think he’ll be an above average hitter for a 1B/DH for the next 3 years.   Ergo, he should have decent trade value.    

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yep. Mancini would be a truly bittersweet trade (I don't really buy that descriptor for Bundy), but I can't say I'd be against it. That said, I also don't agree that Mancini will 100% miss a window of competitive Orioles baseball, nor do I think it's all that bad to have a guy like him help usher in the next wave. 

But - if we're going for a full firesale, then giddyup.

I'd be happier with a firesale if it meant aggressive (or even standard) promotion on kids in the minors.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd be happier with a firesale if it meant aggressive (or even standard) promotion on kids in the minors.

Bradish and Brnovich and even Mattson kind of fits the every pitcher once through the order thing, if they really want to aggressively push the envelope. 

Mattson is a 4 pitch reliever, looks like a spin rate guy, fringe velocity, was 88-91 at times but still missed bats. Some deception with a late arm stab, but nothing crazy. Went 9+ batters 19 times this season, not a one inning guy. Velocity was up t93-94 in the AFL

Just now, RZNJ said:

So, you believe Mancini's 2019 is his new normal or close. I like Mancini and like his approach as well.  I don't like the word never.  Stewart put up great numbers in AAA last year. Nunez was inconsistent but very impressive at times.  Hyde said Mancini was just scratching the surface of his potential. I don't think Elias shares that opinion.

Yeah but... let's say last year was Mancini's average production level. That's still a pretty rare hitter. It's not a rare defensive player, but it's not like hitters with that profile grow on trees.

He's got value to the O's whether or not he stays or goes.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mountcastle may be as good a hitter as Mancini in a couple of years.    Nunez and Stewart never will be.    I think many posters underrate Mancini.    First of all, he’s not bad at 1B at all.    Not an OF, but at least he can play it in a pinch.   Second, he’s a very good hitter.     Great approach and a willing learner.    I think he’ll be an above average hitter for a 1B/DH for the next 3 years.   Ergo, he should have decent trade value.    

I think one of Trey's biggest assets is that he is a right-handed hitter who hits the ball to the opposite field with authority. Teams like the Yankees prefer that kind of hitter to a left-handed pull hitter because they are not as susceptible to the shift.