Definite Interest in Adeiny Hechavarria

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, if we get Hechavarria I’d expect him and Alberto to be the keystone combo most days, though we might want to add a left hand hitting infielder who hits righties well.    

Holt is a lefty and can play all over the place he has innings at 1, 2 3 , ss, rf and lf

I habe no issue with signing AH, but here's what worries me:

He is probably the top guy we go after and often teams don't get their first choice. If we are aiming for Hech, I wouldn't be shocked if we end up with someone a peg or two below, and that would be very uninspiring... This year's SS class is so very meh. So here's hoping the O's sign Adeinny Hechavarria... I guess?

9 hours ago, sgillespie31 said:

I habe no issue with signing AH, but here's what worries me:

He is probably the top guy we go after and often teams don't get their first choice. If we are aiming for Hech, I wouldn't be shocked if we end up with someone a peg or two below, and that would be very uninspiring... This year's SS class is so very meh. So here's hoping the O's sign Adeinny Hechavarria... I guess?

If they are trying to lose, filling a batting order with 7 or 8 guys with a .300+/- OBP is a good thing

Mike’s goal is to get cheaper. My goal is to get better. It is possible to get meaningfully better without spending too much or jeopardizing  “The Plan”

Despite his WAR, Villar was extremely frustrating to watch. Im happy with Martin and I think he will continue to improve.

But if we can find someone better, for insignificant additional pay, that’s the main thing. If this guy, whose name I can’t even begin to spell, is an upgrade, sure why not? 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, if we get Hechavarria I’d expect him and Alberto to be the keystone combo most days, though we might want to add a left hand hitting infielder who hits righties well.    

Just when I get over the Villar trade, you pull me back down!

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hechavarria at one time was an extremely good defensive SS.    The last two years, BB-ref has rated him as a touch below average, Fangraphs a touch above average.    I’m going to assume he is still a very solid defender.    On that basis, I wouldn’t mind havIng him for a year if he’s cheap, realizing that he’s a nothing with the bat.   He’d be a stabilizing presence in the infield.   And by the way, Alberto proved to be a very good defensive 2B.    The pitchers would be happy with them up the middle.   

And it doesn't matter much if he doesn't hit much. Bonus if he does. Practically Elias' first words in Baltimore were defense up the middle. That's what I expect him to look for.

AH. I like the abbreviation. I’m stealing that. 

AH is exactly what we need. A really good defensive SS, but a really bad hitter. So we won’t look terrible on the field while we’re losing 11-2 every game. 

AH also allows us to keep Martin in AAA for some ABs and draft a project like Juivier/Newton in the draft. 

6 hours ago, weams said:

Evidently they got shouted down by the team building faction. Down for the count. 

Sound to me that they got shot down by Elias. His mouthpiece mentioned that he was too expensive. Looking at his BBRef page he made 2.5 million with the Reds last year after salaries of 6 MM , and 4.6 MM the 2 previous years. If $3 million +\- is too much we can expect nothing beyond the Rule 5, Waiver Wire types, and AAAA players. 

Iglesias is only 29 it might be a good idea to put him on a 2-3 year deal at 3-3.5 per. 

We don't have anything for SS. IMO Martin needs at least year in AAA for his bat to catch up. If and when he is ready you can move Jose to Utility Infield.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Sound to me that they got shot down by Elias. His mouthpiece mentioned that he was too expensive. Looking at his BBRef page he made 2.5 million with the Reds last year after salaries of 6 MM , and 4.6 MM the 2 previous years. If $3 million +\- is too much we can expect nothing beyond the Rule 5, Waiver Wire types, and AAAA players. 

Iglesias is only 29 it might be a good idea to put him on a 2-3 year deal at 3-3.5 per. 

We don't have anything for SS. IMO Martin needs at least year in AAA for his bat to catch up. If and when he is ready you can move Jose to Utility Infield.

I think you have to come to the realization that we’re not going to give any guaranteed money to any position player. 

I’d say some other stuff about this specific topic, but I think you have to grasp that concept. We all do. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is.