Mount Sportsmore

NJOriolesFan

A little project I was working on inspired by Mike & Mike on ESPN is the Mount Sportsmore by city. I was having difficulty coming up with a 4th for Baltimore so maybe you guys can help. Likely it would be an Oriole, but perhaps someone else. My stipulations are that I put an athlete on only ONE Mount Rushmore and to attempt to make it consistent with the place that he excelled as an athlete, not necessarily where he was born, with the exception of some athletes that were not tied to some local team. In some instances maybe even a coach/manager is very representative of that city/state.

For Baltimore, it was clear who the first three should be

Cal Ripken Jr., Brooks Robinson and Johnny Unitas, but who would be the fourth? It is likely an Oriole: Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer or Eddie Murray or is it Earl Weaver or should it be Alan Ameche, Lenny Moore or Ray Lewis or even Weeb Ewbank. Your thoughts?

By the way, here are some of the other cities/regions I decided on.

Boston: Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Bobby Orr, Ted Williams

(Carl Yastrzemski, Ray Borque, Bob Cousy and John Havlicek were considered)

New York: Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle

(Amazing that some of the other storied "New York" guys are really New Jersey guys, like Lawrence Taylor, Bill Parcells, Bill Bradley, etc.--Devils and Nets, Giants and Jets are Jersey teams not New York teams---Walt Frazier, Y.A. Tittle, Joe Namath, Tom Seaver were all considered but how do you take one of the baseball guys out)

Philadelphia: Julius Erving, Wilt Chamberlain, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton - I strongly considered Rocky Balboa as the 4th but I think the other 4 are good.

Washington DC - Walter Johnson, Sammy Baugh, Earl Monroe, John Riggins-I also considered Joe Gibbs and John Thompson and Jason Simontacchi (just kidding)

Atlanta - Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, Greg Maddux, Eddie Mathews-No significant enough football players for me-I did however seriously consider Dominique Wilkins instead of Eddie Matthews.

Chicago - Michael Jordan, Walter Payton, Ernie Banks, Dick Butkus. So many more to choose from Gayle Sayers, Mike Ditka, Mike Singletary, Scottie Pippen, Ryne Sandberg, Bobby Hull

Pittsburgh - Roberto Clemente, Terry Bradshaw, Mario Lemieux, Willie Stargell- this would be one of the most beloved of all the groups. Right up there with Baltimore.

Detroit - Joe Louis, Barry Sanders, Gordie Howe, Ty Cobb

Cleveland - Jim Brown, Otto Graham, LeBron James, Bob Feller

Cincinnati - Oscar Robertson, Pete Rose, Anthony Munoz, Johnny Bench

Kansas City - George Brett, Satchell Paige, Lenny Dawson, Hank Stram

Los Angeles - Magic Johnson, Sandy Koufax, Kareem-Abdul Jabbar, Jerry West

Milwaukee - Brett Favre, Bart Starr, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor

San Diego - Tony Gwynn, Dan Fouts, LaDanian Tomlinson, Kellen Winslow

San Francisco - Willie Mays, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Bill Walsh

Miami - Dan Marino, Don Shula, Larry Csonka, Dwayne Wade (maybe a little premature)

St. Louis - Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Albert Pujols, Rogers Hornsby

Houston - Hakeem Olajuwon, Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, Nolan Ryan

Dallas - Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith

Minnesota - Fran Tarkenton, Rod Carew, Johan Santana, Alan Page

Indiana - Bobby Knight, Peyton Manning, Knute Rockne, A.J. Foyt

Open for argument, discussion, ridicule. Definately want thoughts on 4th from Baltimore, and don't say Babe Ruth, Lefty Grove or Al Kaline. Or even Bob Wade :)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived