Caleb needs to come home

wildcard

2 hours ago, weams said:

I'd prefer no connections to those teams that were the perpetuation of our competitive window. It's a new year, a new deal. Out with the old. Give me a bullpen catcher from driveline. 

If we decide we need a cheap veteran player, I won’t hold it against a guy that he played for us previously.    But it also won’t cut much in his favor.    And Caleb is getting long in the tooth.    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

He went on sabbatical  last year to Arizona but he only played 20 games in the majors.  He  had a 806 OPS in the PCL.   He is currently 33.

The average OPS in the PCL was .831 in 2019 and the average OPS of the Arizona Diamondbacks affiliate the  Reno Acess was .871.

I like Caleb, but he is done. I'd welcome him back in a coaching role only. Also the Orioles don't need a catcher. Can Caleb pitch? 

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The average OPS in the PCL was .831 in 2019 and the average OPS of the Arizona Diamondbacks affiliate the  Reno Acess was .871.

I like Caleb, but he is done. I'd welcome him back in a coaching role only. Also the Orioles don't need a catcher. Can Caleb pitch? 

Two appearances 1.1 IP, nothing but zeros. 

3 hours ago, weams said:
PLAYER (10)
POS.
TO
YRS
DOLLARS
AVERAGE SALARY
SIGNED
2019 WAR
2020 WAR
Russell Martin C 37 LAD TBD -   - 0.67  
Jason Castro C 33 MIN TBD -   - 0.67  
Welington Castillo C 33 TEX TBD -   - -0.24  
Robinson Chirinos C 36 HOU TBD -   - 3.81  
Brian McCann C 36 ATL TBD -   - 0.31  
Devin Mesoraco C 32 NYM TBD -   -    

Bryan Holaday C 32 MIA TBD -   - 0.28  
Kevin Plawecki C 29 CLE TBD -   - -0.14  

Josh Phegley C 32 OAK TBD -   - 0.26  
Jose Lobaton C 35 LAD TBD -   -    
John Ryan Murphy C 29 ATL TBD -   - 0.21  

Josh Thole C 33 LAA TBD -   -    
Elias Diaz C 29 PIT TBD -   - -1.32  
Kevan Smith C 32 LAA TBD -   - 0.56  
John Hicks C 30 DET TBD -   - -0.56  
Jonathan Lucroy C 34 CHC TBD -   - -0.64  
Wilkin Castillo C 36 MIA TBD -   -    
Oscar Hernandez C 26 BOS TBD -   -    
Joe Hudson C 29 STL TBD -   - -0.03  
Steve Baron C 29 PIT TBD -   - -0.06  
Rob Brantly C 30 PHI TBD -   - -0.03  
Bobby Wilson C 37 DET TBD -   - -0.66  
Rene Rivera C 36 NYM TBD -   - -0.08  
Juan Centeno C 30 BOS TBD -   - -0.08  
Chris Stewart C 38 SD TBD -   -    
Hector Sanchez C 30 DET TBD -   -    
Dioner Navarro C 36 CLE TBD -   -    
J.C. Boscan C 40 KC TBD -   -    
Rafael Lopez C 32 TOR TBD -  

These guys all appear to be available. 

It's pretty funny that whatever site this list comes from thinks* they can estimate player value down to the hundredths of a win.  That's a 10th of a run, or a fraction of the value of a single strike.  I'm a fairly big advocate of using WAR for a lot of things, but even a half a win in assumed error might be stretching it.

* I'm going to assume that they just posted estimated WAR totals and didn't even think about the absurdity of going to two decimal points.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's pretty funny that whatever site this list comes from thinks* they can estimate player value down to the hundredths of a win.  That's a 10th of a run, or a fraction of the value of a single strike.  I'm a fairly big advocate of using WAR for a lot of things, but even a half a win in assumed error might be stretching it.

* I'm going to assume that they just posted estimated WAR totals and didn't even think about the absurdity of going to two decimal points.

Looks to me like the WAR posted is historic, from 2019. I don't see any WAR posted under 2020.

9 minutes ago, scOtt said:

What were you drinking last night, Absinthe?

A few weekends ago I sipped a little of the green fairy.  If you put your mind to the romantic idea that Poe and other 18th century guys drank it you can get past that it tastes like Listerine mixed with a bit of grain alcohol. Somewhere I have a slotted spoon to drip water over a sugar cube into the stuff.

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Kevin Cron had a line straight out of Ruth's prime on that same Reno team, OPSing 1.226.  Went to Oakland and had a .790.  Caleb is still the .600 OPS guy he's always been.

• Upvote 1