Valaika claimed again, Kline DFAd

interloper

33 minutes ago, Philip said:

To be fair, Griffey did that to a whole lot of pitchers.

He did, but I dunno.  That Pennington homer was just different.  That swing was a controlled, furious violence that was unlike any of the other swings I've seen.

It made a Nike commercial, which I can't find anymore.  I can't find it anywhere, really.  I want to see a video of it now but no such luck.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  Shortly after the 2:15 mark

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

The whole 2nd round that year has produced a total of 10 WAR to date.  With Alex Wood having 11 WAR.  So he has more than 100 percent of the WAR from that round.  Elias drafted Nolan Fontana at 61 who didn’t play in the big leagues last year and had -0.2 WAR on his career.

I’m not sure I understood you, if Alex Wood had 11 WAR, and the entire second round had 10 WAR huh? You must have omitted something pertinent.

Not too surprising considering that he's one of the oldest players on the 40-man.

Figure they expect him to clear or perhaps to bring him back if/when he gets waived later this offseason, much like Valaika/Alberto. I admit I don't quite get the point of Valaika when we have Urena. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Win Column said:

Not too surprising considering that he's one of the oldest players on the 40-man.

Figure they expect him to clear or perhaps to bring him back if/when he gets waived later this offseason, much like Valaika/Alberto. I admit I don't quite get the point of Valaika when we have Urena. 

Wynns, Armstrong, Givens, Sulser, Iglesias, Wojciechowski, Cobb and Davis are all older than Kline.  That does not count ST invitees  Williams, Rodgers, Hunter Cenvenka and Valdez who are also older.

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He did, but I dunno.  That Pennington homer was just different.  That swing was a controlled, furious violence that was unlike any of the other swings I've seen.

It made a Nike commercial, which I can't find anymore.  I can't find it anywhere, really.  I want to see a video of it now but no such luck.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  Shortly after the 2:15 mark

Man those were fun to watch.   Such a sweet swing.    And the look on Pennington’s face was priceless.   

• Upvote 1

Pat Valaika may well be a better defensive 2B than Alberto.  Better hands  and more range.   And he can backup SS which would be competition for Urena.   He also has an option left which neither Alberto or Urena have.

Offensively Valaika has never really had a good shot at the everyday spot but in the season he got 195 at bats he hit for an 817 OPS.  However that was in Colorado which doesn't prove he can hit in the Baltimore.  Nor does hitting well in Albuquerque.    

Alberto still has to prove he can hit righties in the majors.  If he does he is an everyday player..  With he doesn't he is a platoon player.   If Valaika beats Alberto out at 2B then Alberto could move into a platoon with Ruiz at 3B.  That is not Alberto's best defensive position but it would keep him in the lineup vs lefties.

All this begs the question that if Elias thought Valaika had a chance to beat out Alberto at 2B than why did he DFA him?   

Valaika has his work cut out for him to make the team in ST.  His option allows him be to be sent to Norfolk.   Its something to watch though.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Wynns, Armstrong, Givens, Sulser, Iglesias, Wojciechowski, Cobb and Davis are all older than Kline.  That does not count ST invitees  Williams, Rodgers, Hunter Cenvenka and Valdez who are also older.

I think being the 9th oldest out of 40 players would qualify as being "one of the oldest".  

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Pat Valaika may well be a better defensive 2B than Alberto.  Better hands  and more range.   And he can backup SS which would be competition for Urena.   He also has an option left which neither Alberto or Urena have.

Offensively Valaika has never really had a good shot at the everyday spot but in the season he got 195 at bats he hit for an 817 OPS.  However that was in Colorado which doesn't prove he can hit in the Baltimore.  Nor does hitting well in Albuquerque.    

Alberto still has to prove he can hit righties in the majors.  If he does he is an everyday player..  With he doesn't he is a platoon player.   If Valaika beats Alberto out at 2B then Alberto could move into a platoon with Ruiz at 3B.  That is not Alberto's best defensive position but it would keep him in the lineup vs lefties.

All this begs the question that if Elias thought Valaika had a chance to beat out Alberto at 2B than why did he DFA him?   

Valaika has his work cut out for him to make the team in ST.  His option allows him be to be sent to Norfolk.   Its something to watch though.

Valaika probably has more a future with the team than Ritchie Martin.  For 2020, I think Valaika can get AB's at 3B vs LHP.  

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Valaika probably has more a future with the team than Ritchie Martin.  For 2020, I think Valaika can get AB's at 3B vs LHP.  

That could be. Urena blocks him for right now, as he has no options. I presume they will carry Sisco, Davis, Wilkerson, and Urena on the bench... with Stewart going to the IL for his ankle surgery and DSJ taking his place in the field. Wilkerson and DSJ interchangeable in that scenario.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd have to write out a 26 man roster, assuming Iglesias at SS for 160, can we really carry Alberto, Ruiz, Urena, Wilkerson, and Valaika?  I think it works if Wilkerson is also the 4th OF that occasionally plays 2B.  

Iglesias has been in the majors for 8 years.  He has never started more than 136 games.