O's claim Travis Lakins, DFA Stevie Wilkerson

interloper

2 hours ago, REDMAN said:

Doesn't work like that, pensions work on years and months accumulated and healthcare is taken out of their pension per Dave Johnson, the ex oriole pitcher who had 3 1/2 years in MLB. Wilkerson has far less , and it takes 10 years to be fully invested.

MLB 

Major League Baseball has the best pension program of all professional sports. A big-league player needs a short amount of time—just 43 days of service—to qualify for a pension benefit. Forty-three days of service can guarantee an MLB player a $34,000 per year pension benefit. One day on an active roster qualifies a player for full comprehensive medical benefits.

MLB players qualify for an annual pension after 43 days of service and for full comprehensive medical benefits after one day on an active roster.

Major league baseball players become fully vested in their pensions after 10 years of service. It is not uncommon for retired baseball players with over 10 years of service to receive over $100,000 annually upon reaching the age of 62. Baseball has the most well-funded pension program with estimates valuing the plan at over half a billion dollars.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I liked Stevie.  Not sure what anyone expected of him last year.  Yeah, not the best ballplayer around but he played hard, hustled, did whatever was asked of him.  For a "blue collar" town like Baltimore, you'd think a guy like Stevie would have been better received.

Elias DFA'ed him for another "depth" arm, so everyone loves this move.

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I liked Stevie.  Not sure what anyone expected of him last year.  Yeah, not the best ballplayer around but he played hard, hustled, did whatever was asked of him.  For a "blue collar" town like Baltimore, you'd think a guy like Stevie would have been better received.

It's hard to be well received when the team wins 100 games in 2 years and no one is watching the games. 

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

On a winning team, he would be much better received IMO.  But since we’re not and are in dire need of arms, it’s a whatever move.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wilkerson was a fun guy to have on a bad team, but he really is a below average major leaguer overall. He'll pass through waivers and still have a chance to compete for the 26th spot.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Blue Collared Steve got popped for roids then became Stevie so the PED suspension wouldn’t be the first thing that popped up when when googling him. 

Maybe that’s why he wasn’t everyone’s favorite. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Liking a guy and thinking he’s a good baseball player are two different things.   I think he did OK considering the situation he found himself in.    In the minors, he was primarily a 2B, had done utility work at 3B/SS and a handful of games as a corner OF.    In the majors last year, he started 58 games in CF, 21 games as a corner OF and 6 at 2B.    So, his defensive flaws were exacerbated by being very inexperienced at the positions where he was used.    Nevertheless, he had his moments, like his amazing catch in RF in the final game.   As wildcard pointed out many times, he hit RHP decently.    He could be useful to a team if used correctly.    But he may not fit our roster, and he sure has been helpless against LHP.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Wilkerson was a fun guy to have on a bad team, but he really is a below average major leaguer overall. He'll pass through waivers and still have a chance to compete for the 26th spot.

Plus he had also been suspended for the PEDs so it was not like he was a squeaky clean poster boy to hype up. 

14 hours ago, Philip said:

As I understand it, one single day in the big leagues gets you healthcare, and I think 44 days in the big leagues gets your pension. Is that incorrect?

Not the way that Dave Johnson explained it on MASN, the way he explained it is like social security and medicare, you can buy health insurance through your pension, and pensions are not fully vested until you have 10 years in, there are no more benefits after serving 10 years. Dave had 3 1/3 years in MLB, he said his pension is small compared to a fully vested pension, he didn't get into their healthcare system because he already had one he liked. Don't get confused about active MLB players who receive healthcare and start their pensions and retired MLB players, the rules are different.

• Upvote 1