Passan: Betts and Price to Dodgers

Can_of_corn

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Red Sox have won 4 World Series since he became the owner, after going 86 years without a title.    I’d say he has stewarded the franchise just fine. 

He can both be a good owner and want to severely hamper the quality of the team just so he can make a few extra millions atop his mass of wealth

3 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

He can both be a good owner and want to severely hamper the quality of the team just so he can make a few extra millions atop his mass of wealth

I don’t see it that way, but speaking as an Orioles fan, I am glad that the luxury tax places some level of deterrence on the Yankees’ and Red Sox’s willingness time spend limitless funds on payroll.     They’re already spending way beyond the capacity of most other teams and I’m glad the problem isn’t worse than it already is.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see it that way, but speaking as an Orioles fan, I am glad that the luxury tax places some level of deterrence on the Yankees’ and Red Sox’s willingness time spend limitless funds on payroll.     They’re already spending way beyond the capacity of most other teams and I’m glad the problem isn’t worse than it already is.

I agree to a point, but the Red Sox shedding payroll for what can short-term be equated to shedding for the hell of it allows team owners like Bob Nutting (and dare I say even the Angelo's) to justify not paying close to any of their players.

Think of how many Johnathan Villar situations can now be compared to the financially overpowering Red Sox trading their best player to save the payroll.

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

And they can sign him as a FA still. It's comical to see anyone criticize the way the Red Sox have been ran over the last 20 years.

If (and it's a big if) they do this, then I will 100% eat crow and call this a genius move, because I like Verdugo and Graterol.

I don't think this is the case, because if they were intent on keeping him, they would have just simply offered him a not-shit offer before moving him.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

This sums it up for me. There's absolutely no reason why the Red Sox should be trading away one of the best players in the game in his prime just because they don't want to pay him.

They traded away ONE YEAR of Betts.

He was determined to test the market after this season.   And now that he has a choice in the matter, he probably doesn't want to play in Boston, a city that has a long reputation of not being a great place for African-American players.

So if they were fairly confident he was gone, you have to look at the deal as giving up 1 year of Betts for a potential 5 years of Verdugo.

39 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

I'm actually quite surprised at how much the Dodgers have been willing to give up on their SP depth this off season. Hill and Ryu walk which made since given their depth, particularly from the left side. They just traded Maeda and Stripling now though. Sure, they get Price and have him along with Kershaw and Buehler at the top, but what comes next? I guess they're counting on Wood bouncing back and Julio Urias finally giving them a full season in the rotation? Of course, they do still have May and Gonsolin along with some others ready to graduate, but Stripling was a righty with a bit more experience. It seems they're now set to start the year with four southpaws in the rotation.

With Stripling in Anaheim now, is it possible Bundy doesn't make the rotation or gets demoted during the season? Tehran, Ohtani and Stripling are probably ahead of him (though Stripling's experience as a swing man may come into play). Heaney is the "established" guy on the team and Griffin Canning showed some promise. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that--barring injury--Bundy could find himself going to the bullpen at some point. Unless Ohtani can become an ace after not pitching last season, this team still lacks top end arms, but the rotational depth is a lot better now.

28 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

If (and it's a big if) they do this, then I will 100% eat crow and call this a genius move, because I like Verdugo and Graterol.

I don't think this is the case, because if they were intent on keeping him, they would have just simply offered him a not-shit offer before moving him.

Even if they do not bring Betts back, this is a smart move. Trading Price helps out almost as much as the talent they brought back.

Do you remember how they benefitted from the last time LA bailed them out?

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Verdugo.  Oft injured.  Not likely to reach all star potential.  Multiple reports of a lack of professionalism, work ethic, a lot of attitude.

It is purely anecdotal, but on one of Fangraphs podcasts, Justin Mason has repeatedly alluded to "stuff" about Verdugo he can't talk about. 

I'm sure Red Sox fandom will give him unwavering support through any bumps stepping into Mookie's job.