MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

2 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

If games are cancelled or played with no crowds, that is revenue not coming in.  Can MLB afford that?  I'm sure the sponsors wouldn't be too happy.

They've endured lockouts before, but I'm wondering how this factors into players contracts.  Would they still have to pay the players? 

A compromise might be postpone it for maybe a month.  In 2001 they did this for a week, I think, after 9/11, (too lazy to lookup). 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

What? I had still 55 percent in stocks. I sold PG , SBUX, and TGT last year as their prices got too high for me.  And I also sold KHC at a loss.   I didn't see anything worth buying. I wasn't timing the market last year. I just didn't see anything worth buying.  When I say I was timing the market, I saw 3 weeks ago where this was headed. I did the math. Started selling stuff off.   I try to good stocks when they are at 52 week lows for no real reason.  Got burnt on KHC though.  

Probably worth noting at this point that I cannot, and am restricted from trading, individual stocks.  Again, I hope those who have made decisions recently end up okay.  Everyone has different risk portfolios, probably best for us to leave it alone here. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

What? I had still 55 percent in stocks. I sold PG , SBUX, and TGT last year as their prices got too high for me.  And I also sold KHC at a loss.   I didn't see anything worth buying. I wasn't timing the market last year. I just didn't see anything worth buying.  When I say I was timing the market, I saw 3 weeks ago where this was headed. I did the math. Started selling stuff off.   I try to good stocks when they are at 52 week lows for no real reason.  Got burnt on KHC though.  

You're missing a lot of words here. Surely a savvy investor like yourself wouldn't make such errors!

15 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Actually young have not have many or any severe cases. Mostly young children

seem to be immune.Not as much young adults.But without testing here we shall see.Flu has hit the young hard this year But hit everyone. Tens of thousands. But only about 42% of adults get the flu shot.

Good luck to everyone  My mom is almost 90 and has a cough and sniffles and wanted to be tested.Was told no because no fever and no travel..Don't have enough tests .Don't find that comforting. As of the end of last week ,US has tested the least out of the major countries per million.We need to get this fixed and quickly. Talk is cheap.

I feel for you.

Currently, the flu is still way more deadlier than CORNA. Thousands die yearly in the US alone from the flu.

My last flu shot, it put me in bed for 5 days with the flu. Go watch an army base and when they do the flu shot, see the long lines at sick call.

There is so much confusing information out, but the one thing that I saw from a gov post, that the major difference in CORNA, is a shortness of breath and pneumonia systems as its a respiratory virus.

They claimed rarely will you have fever, sniffles or cough.

So far here in Md, the only confirmed cases, are those that have traveled overseas.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I feel for you.

Currently, the flu is still way more deadlier than CORNA. Thousands die yearly in the US alone from the flu.

My last flu shot, it put me in bed for 5 days with the flu. Go watch an army base and when they do the flu shot, see the long lines at sick call.

There is so much confusing information out, but the one thing that I saw from a gov post, that the major difference in CORNA, is a shortness of breath and pneumonia systems as its a respiratory virus.

So far here in Md, the only confirmed cases, are those that have traveled overseas.

I don't recall that ever happening.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I feel for you.

Jon Kitna has thrown way more passing yards than Patrick Mahomes.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall that ever happening.

My son saw it, whenever he was stationed jsut to mention getting sick from it and I saw it, but that was an Air Force base.

I get it, the flu shot is a personal issue, some feel strongly one way or the other, usually none are MEH about it.

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

My son saw it, whenever he was stationed jsut to mention getting sick from it and I saw it, but that was an Air Force base.

I get it, the flu shot is a personal issue, some feel strongly one way or the other, usually none are MEH about it.

Really the flu shot is not a personal issue.  Young infants cannot get the flu shot. When you get the flu shot you prevent the spread of the disease in the community thus protecting infants from death.  People should get the flu shot every year.  My family and I get the flu shot every year and the only time I got the flu was the year I didn't get it.  Fortunately the rest my family did get the flu shot and they did not get sick. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I see the baseball season being played with perhaps a few postponements or rescheduling later in the season.. cases in China ans South Korea are dropping . China has very few cases now. If the US handles this right we could get a handle on it in a few months.

I think we are handling it more like Iran than South Korea.  I am not sure why the President is so much more interest in a stimulus package than working on containing the disease.  Stimulus package won't do anything for the economy if the country is closed like Italy is right now. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think we are handling it more like Iran than South Korea.  I am not sure why the President is so much more interest in a stimulus package than working on containing the disease.  Stimulus package won't do anything for the economy if the country is closed like Italy is right now. 

Election coming up and it is all about the economy .as they say. But all politicians playing to confusion. NY Governor and mayor of NYC,De Blasio  stated different amount of time the virus stays on a surface to spread it. One said a few minutes and the other said as much as 24 hours. 

This is from CDC:

Some human coronaviruses, like SARS, can last for days on surfaces. But one expert says the new coronavirus is more likely to last "hours to a day or so."

Gov. Inslee ,from Washington State wanted swift action and then when they said he may have to shut down some areas he was not happy about that. He is now coming around to some measures.

The Trump administration has pressed some state leaders, including Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, to consider more stringent measures to contain the novel coronavirus, with conversations also focused on curbing or discouraging the departure of cruises as soon as this weekend, say people familiar with the talks.

Wonder why people are confused. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Election coming up and it is all about the economy .as they say. But all politicians playing to confusion. NY Governor and mayor of NYC,De Blasio  stated different amount of time the virus stays on a surface to spread it. One said a few minutes and the other said as much as 24 hours. 

This is from CDC:

Some human coronaviruses, like SARS, can last for days on surfaces. But one expert says the new coronavirus is more likely to last "hours to a day or so."

Gov. Inslee ,from Washington State wanted swift action and then when they said he may have to shut down some areas he was not happy about that. He is now coming around to some measures.

The Trump administration has pressed some state leaders, including Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, to consider more stringent measures to contain the novel coronavirus, with conversations also focused on curbing or discouraging the departure of cruises as soon as this weekend, say people familiar with the talks.

Wonder why people are confused. 

I think in times of great strife people are looking for a leader who can lead more than short term economic conditions.  

• The CDC is expanding its guidance for people at extreme risk of serious illness, like those over 60 or with underlying health conditions. 
  • Those over the age of 60 should start stocking up on enough groceries and medications to have on hand, the CDC said. 
  • Those at greatest risk of serious illness should stay home as much as possible if COVID-19 comes to their community, the CDC said. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/many-americans-will-be-exposed-to-coronavirus-through-2021-cdc-says.html

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think in times of great strife people are looking for a leader who can lead more than short term economic conditions.  

Public was not told because of the war effort.

It was called the Spanish flu. But that was only because Spain, which was not at war, allowed the press to report on it openly. Unlike here.

The first serious outbreak in the United States began at Camp Funston (now Fort Riley) in Kansas. As infected soldiers from across the country made their way to the trenches in France, the virus spread.  

But the nation wasn't told. 

A year earlier President Woodrow Wilson had rammed through Congress the Sedition Act, making it a crime to say or publish anything negative that would affect the war effort.

Barry said, "Wilson created what was called the Committee for Public Information. The architect of that committee said, 'Truth and falsehood are arbitrary terms. The force of an idea lies in its inspirational value. It matters very little if it is true or false.'"

Correspondent Martha Teichner asked, "Was that a license to lie to the American public?"

"It was precisely that," said Barry. "In the United States, you had national public health leaders saying such things as 'This is ordinary influenza by another name.' At the local level the same kind of thing was occurring."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-1918-flu-pandemic-a-cautionary-tale/.