Adley so far: 0-8, 1 walk, 5 Ks

interloper

14 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

I’m a little concerned not just because of this spring but the combination of last year in the minors and this spring. He hasn’t shown anything at the plate. I did see some video of some good looking bp sessions but that’s the only positive I can think of. 

Does anyone remember the bad start Cal Ripkin had in his first year.

Imagine they had a re-draft tomorrow. Would Adley be picked outside of the top 5? If he was 3-8 this spring would he be validated as a future star? If we have a cold front does that global warming is a myth? Lots of guys underwhelm in the minors without really putting up impressive stats (Manny, Halladay) but the talent is obvious. I’m not at all concerned. Has anyone said that he looks bad at the plate? No, the numbers just haven’t been there. Seriously short sample size. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Win Column said:

Maybe he'll be a bizarro Wieters of sorts: somewhat above-average in the minors, HOF-level MLB career.

In any instance, not at all worried. 

He's just managing expectations.  The only reason Wieters was a disappointment was that he OPS'd 1.000+ his first full year in the minors and Baseball Prospectus used their comp-based PECOTA system to briefly spit out Johnny Bench-level numbers for him.  If he'd OPS'd .725 at Bowie then had his real MLB career he'd be fondly remembered here.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's just managing expectations.  The only reason Wieters was a disappointment was that he OPS'd 1.000+ his first full year in the minors and Baseball Prospectus used their comp-based PECOTA system to briefly spit out Johnny Bench-level numbers for him.  If he'd OPS'd .725 at Bowie then had his real MLB career he'd be fondly remembered here.

I still very much remember Wieters fondly. I think you're pretty crazy if you don't. He's one of the most successful homegrown All-Stars that we've produced in the last decade. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I still very much remember Wieters fondly. I think you're pretty crazy if you don't. He's one of the most successful homegrown All-Stars that we've produced in the last decade. 

I do, too.  But if you ran a poll right now the overwhelming sentiment about Wieters would be that he fell far short of expectations.  He was supposed to personally rescue the O's from the 1998-2011 era, and he ended up being but a small part of that.  Not unlike Eddie and his inability to personally overcome the mid-80s Orioles disdain for signing free agents or developing prospects.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I do, too.  But if you ran a poll right now the overwhelming sentiment about Wieters would be that he fell far short of expectations.  He was supposed to personally rescue the O's from the 1998-2011 era, and he ended up being but a small part of that.  Not unlike Eddie and his inability to personally overcome the mid-80s Orioles disdain for signing free agents or developing prospects.

Yep.  Fell short of expectations for me but he was still really good.  

Rutschman may be someone who takes some time to get comfortable. 

He has also basically been a pinch hitter and I would think is very focused on his defense. Vaughn did a little bit better in the minors last year but it wasn’t anything spectacular.  

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We should sticky this post. It will be absolutely hilarious to read for a long time. 

For example... “Damn.  Remember how bad things were back in 2020?”

Certainly hope it will be hilarious. I’ll make it my avatar in four years either way. 

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Man did the Orioles front office go from the best to one of the worse in a decade. Free Agency certainly hurt the Orioles as they allowed home grown talent like Grich and Garland (which worked out) to be signed away but the minor league system really dried up once the final wave of Dennis Martinez, Mike Flanagan and Eddie Murray came up. Obvious Ripken was a great selection, but after that, the well went very, very dry as Mike Boddicker and maybe Storm Davis were really the only impact players/pitchers to come up after Ripken for some time. Probably until the next wave of Pete Harnish, Steve Finley and Bob Milacki came up and the Orioles bed that dry by trading Harnish and Finley away in the awful Davis trade that had to be done after they traded disgruntled Eddie Murray. 

• Upvote 2

Seems to early to overreact and put to much pressure on the guy.  We all thought he was the best pick.   If he doesn't turn out to be a great baseball player we will have to live with that when it comes about. 

But the high failure rate of draft picks in MLB is a reason that I think tanking is not the best idea.   The Astros got really lucky that one of their first overalls didn't take their offer or they would have only had Correa for three years of being the worst team in baseball.