Adley so far: 0-8, 1 walk, 5 Ks

interloper

17 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I sure hope Rutschman is hitting in intrasquad because not doing well with the bat for this long can definitely play with your head, especially when many of the others in the top 10 (except Witt) haven't struggled.  

I don't think he has any worries at this point and neither should anyone else. Now if we're two months into the Frederick season and he's still not hitting while playing regularly and healthy, then the first bead of sweat may show up. I'd like to see him have more success early on but he's not getting regular playing time and you can probably count on one hand the amount of times Rutschman came in late in games as a sub before this spring, so n one should really be concerned at this point.

Just now, doccat said:

Admittedly, I am a worry wart.   That is simply my nature.    He hasn't hit at all in the minors, and he hasn't even made contact in his brief Spring Training trial....    I'm not in panic mode yet.   Let's wait and see what this year brings.

It would be nice, though, if just one of our top draft picks at some point just exploded onto the scene and tore through the minors....

Hays, Bundy and Wieters all say hi!

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not too worried, but I’d be happier if he were hitting like Andrew Vaughn (.364/.553/.727 through yesterday in 16 PA).    

Andrew Vaughn is a hitting machine.  I think the concerns around him were his size (small for 1B) and defense.  But I don't think there were many doubts he would rake at the MLB level...

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Man did the Orioles front office go from the best to one of the worse in a decade. Free Agency certainly hurt the Orioles as they allowed home grown talent like Grich and Garland (which worked out) to be signed away but the minor league system really dried up once the final wave of Dennis Martinez, Mike Flanagan and Eddie Murray came up. Obvious Ripken was a great selection, but after that, the well went very, very dry as Mike Boddicker and maybe Storm Davis were really the only impact players/pitchers to come up after Ripken for some time. Probably until the next wave of Pete Harnish, Steve Finley and Bob Milacki came up and the Orioles bed that dry by trading Harnish and Finley away in the awful Davis trade that had to be done after they traded disgruntled Eddie Murray. 

In retrospect it was easy to see what was going to happen with the '84-90 something Orioles.  The farm was barren, I don't know the details but starting in '79 or '80 the drafts were pretty awful.  Boddicker was an older rookie in '83, he was drafted in '78 along with Cal.  The only player of consequence in the '79 draft was Storm Davis, their #1 pick was Tim Maples who never made it to AAA.  In '80 Ken Dixon was their best pick, at 2.4 career WAR.  In '81 no one they picked and signed ever got to replacement level in the majors (although they picked Cecil Fielder in the 31st round and didn't sign him).  In '82 the best picks they signed were John Hayban and Bill Ripken, missed signing 6th rounder Walt Weiss.  In '83 they pulled off a rare feat - no one they drafted ever appeared in the majors(!).  In '84 Jeff Tackett and Pete Stanicek (although he didn't sign until they drafted him again the next year) were the headliners.  Jeff Ballard was clearly the best player taken in '85.  Blaine Beatty was the best of the '86 class.  

Finally in '87 they drafted Pete Harnisch, Mike Mussina, Steve Finley, and David Segui.  Although Mussina wouldn't sign until they took him again in '90.

So they literally had a seven year period where almost nobody they drafted even became a regular player, much less a star.  A solid team tries to graduate a regular or two and a few role players every year.  The 80s Orioles struggled to even get the role players.  And this was also when the team refused to sign anything better than 2nd- or 3rd-tier free agents.

I hate to think what would have happened if OPACY didn't get built.  

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I remember the first time upping the difficulty in Super Mega Baseball from 50 to like 75.  I really sucked at the plate.  Now I play at 85 and my good players have averages in the .300s,, with one better than .400.

Well you can grind and level them all up, which helps. I couldn't hack it man, 85 is legit. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In retrospect it was easy to see what was going to happen with the '84-90 something Orioles.  The farm was barren, I don't know the details but starting in '79 or '80 the drafts were pretty awful.  Boddicker was an older rookie in '83, he was drafted in '78 along with Cal.  The only player of consequence in the '79 draft was Storm Davis, their #1 pick was Tim Maples who never made it to AAA.  In '80 Ken Dixon was their best pick, at 2.4 career WAR.  In '81 no one they picked and signed ever got to replacement level in the majors (although they picked Cecil Fielder in the 31st round and didn't sign him).  In '82 the best picks they signed were John Hayban and Bill Ripken, missed signing 6th rounder Walt Weiss.  In '83 they pulled off a rare feat - no one they drafted ever appeared in the majors(!).  In '84 Jeff Tackett and Pete Stanicek (although he didn't sign until they drafted him again the next year) were the headliners.  Jeff Ballard was clearly the best player taken in '85.  Blaine Beatty was the best of the '86 class.  

Finally in '87 they drafted Pete Harnisch, Mike Mussina, Steve Finley, and David Segui.  Although Mussina wouldn't sign until they took him again in '90.

So they literally had a seven year period where almost nobody they drafted even became a regular player, much less a star.  A solid team tries to graduate a regular or two and a few role players every year.  The 80s Orioles struggled to even get the role players.  And this was also when the team refused to sign anything better than 2nd- or 3rd-tier free agents.

I hate to think what would have happened if OPACY didn't get built.  

Interestingly, you can narrow it down to Hank Peters being hired as General Manager and him hiring Tommy Giordano as his Scouting Director. Giordano has always been given credit as the guy who drafted Cal Ripken, and he did, but he basically singlehandily destroyed the Orioles system with his awful drafts including an amazing ability to miss on every single #1 pick.

Perhaps he was a good scout, but his track record as the orioles scouting director is abysmal and he appears to have benefited from the old boys club back in the day. 

In fact that 1979 draft was his only successful draft in which he selected Ripken and Boddicker. It is amazing how bad those drafts were and certainly contributed to the Orioles decline. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/3/2020 at 3:11 PM, interloper said:

BUST!!!! 

Just kidding. 

But is anyone seeing anything in these limited ABs? It seems like he might have some swing holes in the very, very brief times I've seen him. I'm not in love with his batting stance either.

But he doesn't know any of the pitchers and they aren't giving him consistent ABs, so it's impossible to say anything of course.

They gave Cervenka 4 ABs at DH yesterday for some reason when it feels like that would have been a great spot to get Adley some consistent looks. Can't expect him to hit if he's only ever getting 2 ABs every 3 games. 

Maybe we need to let Chris Davis give him some tips since he's raking! ?

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think he has any worries at this point and neither should anyone else. Now if we're two months into the Frederick season and he's still not hitting while playing regularly and healthy, then the first bead of sweat may show up. I'd like to see him have more success early on but he's not getting regular playing time and you can probably count on one hand the amount of times Rutschman came in late in games as a sub before this spring, so n one should really be concerned at this point.

What would you consider “still not hitting?” Is it contact, power, etc?

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Well you can grind and level them all up, which helps. I couldn't hack it man, 85 is legit. 

By "level them up" you mean go on hot streaks?  I mostly play offline against CPU. 

Yeah the hot streaks can really boost a player. On the other hand a cold streak can really kill them, so its a double edged sword. My record is about .560 now with the Blowfish on 85.  Previously I had won the championship with the Sirloins on 80. My pen is very deep, on the other hand its hard for my starters to last more than 5 or 6 innings.  Kind of like the Orioles.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

How did I not know about this game before today?

You gotta go looking for it.  Not advertised widely unlike EA games. I actually wanted a baseball game but my last experience was The Show on PS3 but didn't like the controls or the presentation.  So I did some research. It can feel arcadish at times but actually feels more like baseball than anything else I've tried.