Orioles All-Time "Last Gasp" Team, Part 1 (C/IF)

TronBlaster

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Also at first base, '96 Eddie Murray.  Felt good to have him hit his 500th homer here (a year to the day Ripken broke the Streak) but it wasn't great.  

Whaaaaat?????    Yeah, Eddie wasn’t great for us, but he did manage a .766 OPS with 10 homers and 34 RBI in 64 games.   The team was 50-46 when Eddie arrived but went 38-26 in those 64 games and made the wild card.    To me he was a good contributor down the stretch.    He also had a .967 OPS in the ALDS and .820 in the ALCS.    I was really happy with Eddie’s return engagement.    Fortunately the team didn’t renew him for 1997, when he was truly spent and retired when that season ended.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Whaaaaat?????    Yeah, Eddie wasn’t great for us, but he did manage a .766 OPS with 10 homers and 34 RBI in 64 games.   The team was 50-46 when Eddie arrived but went 38-26 in those 64 games and made the wild card.    To me he was a good contributor down the stretch.    He also had a .967 OPS in the ALDS and .820 in the ALCS.    I was really happy with Eddie’s return engagement.    Fortunately the team didn’t renew him for 1997, when he was truly spent and retired when that season ended.   

Frobby, why you gotta wet blanket everything all the time?  Why you gotta be so extra?  He's merely playing by the loosely defined rules that were defined in the OP and here you come in acting all serious about something that's a fun topic. 

?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:
Frobby, why you gotta wet blanket everything all the time?  Why you gotta be so extra?  He's merely playing by the loosely defined rules that were defined in the OP and here you come in acting all serious about something that's a fun topic. 

?

Nobody disses Eddie when I’m around!   Not even Moose, who deserves a lot of slack.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Nobody disses Eddie when I’m around!   Not even Moose, who deserves a lot of slack.   

I'm with ya. Eddie was my favorite player growing up, bar none. Well, if you don't count Brooks Robinson who retired when I was 7 and was the reason I wore number 5 my whole life.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It was everyone's favorite announcer. ?

112848-7735307Fr.jpg

Nah... Burleson played for us in '87.   We had another shorstop then.   I think he might have missed an inning late in the season, but otherwise he had SS covered all year.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So we agree he wasn't great for us...

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Nah... Burleson played for us in '87.   We had another shorstop then.   I think he might have missed an inning late in the season, but otherwise he had SS covered all year.

I thought we were talking about Ozzie Guillen in 1998 when he was a backup utility infielder at best for Bordick and Alomar. 

I also completely forgot Guillen was an Oriole for all of 18 plate appearances. 

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So we agree he wasn't great for us...

Yeah, I’m not going to overstate things.  The 1996 model Eddie wasn’t nearly the 1977-88 model.    I just have trouble lumping him in with Derrek Lee, who added nothing to a 69-win team.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’m not going to overstate things.  The 1996 model Eddie wasn’t nearly the 1977-88 model.    I just have trouble lumping him in with Derrek Lee, who added nothing to a 69-win team.    

Fair enough.  For some reason I thought Eddie was better than he was in the 2nd time here.