Orioles All-Time "Last Gasp" Team, Part 1 (C/IF)

TronBlaster

1 minute ago, TronBlaster said:

Vlad wasn't great in Baltimore, and it was borderline painful watching him run the bases, but he did bat .290 over 560+ at-bats with 30 doubles, which is actually pretty impressive for a final season (though he only walked 17 times -_-

OPS+ of 98, he sure wasn't Ted Williams out there in his final year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TronBlaster said:

Vlad wasn't great in Baltimore, and it was borderline painful watching him run the bases, but he did bat .290 over 560+ at-bats with 30 doubles, which is actually pretty impressive for a final season (though he only walked 17 times -_-

Will Clark was actually alright here when he was on the field...when he was on the field being the key.  .877 and .866 OPS.  He killed it in STL when we traded him.

1B, I'll also nominate Kevin Millar.  He was pretty terrible by the end.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Will Clark was actually alright here when he was on the field...when he was on the field being the key.  .877 and .866 OPS.  He killed it in STL when we traded him.

1B, I'll also nominate Kevin Millar.  He was pretty terrible by the end.

Naw, Millar's last gasp season was 2009 in Toronto.

Remember when he tried to get ownership to change their mind on beards?  Leadership!

37 minutes ago, TronBlaster said:

? Rick Dempsey, 1992

This may be a controversial choice, since the beloved Dempsey obviously had plenty of success with the Orioles before leaving in '87 to play for the Indians, Dodgers, and Brewers. But his triumphant return to Baltimore in 1992, at age 42, was not so triumphant, as he batted .111 in eight games before hanging up his catcher's mitt and rain delay pillow for good in exchange for the microphone.

Career highlights: 1,000+ hits in a career that spanned four different decades (1969-1992), 1983 World Series MVP, Orioles Hall of Fame

Orioles Last Gasp: 1 hit, 2 walks in 8 games

The one hit was a bunt single and it came late in an extra innings.   It was his only hit as an Oriole after 1986.   I was there for it, and he was my favorite player of all time.

He had returned to Baltimore for the last day of the 1991 season to take part in the Memorial Stadium closing ceremony, even though he was still playing for Milwaukee at that point.   He got to play a few games in Camden Yards.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if your criteria is not playing after been here...Reynolds, D-Lee and Guillen aren't nominees.  

Millar sucked.

I don't think a guy collecting over 600 plate appearances in his third consecutive season with the team qualifies.   He was .5 WAR his last year in Baltimore and -.7 in Toronto.

His pay dropped from 3.8M to 850K.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think a guy collecting over 600 plate appearances in his third consecutive season with the team qualifies.   He was .5 WAR his last year in Baltimore and -.7 in Toronto.

His pay dropped from 3.8M to 850K.

CoC, why you gotta wet blanket everything all the time?  Why you gotta be so extra?  I'm merely playing by the loosely defined rules that were defined in the OP and here you come in acting all serious about something that's a fun topic.  Who cares if it was his third consecutive season?  He was well into the downside of his career when he came here.  Fine, Millar, not an honorable mention, happy?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

CoC, why you gotta wet blanket everything all the time?  Why you gotta be so extra?  I'm merely playing by the loosely defined rules that were defined in the OP and here you come in acting all serious about something that's a fun topic.  Who cares if it was his third consecutive season?  He was well into the downside of his career when he came here.  Fine, Millar, not an honorable mention, happy?

My version of happy.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TronBlaster said:

I loved having Vlad on the team. He made a fairly dismal season a lot more watchable.  I agree that it wasn't too shabby for a last gasp.