Orioles All-Time "Last Gasp" Team, Part 1 (C/IF)

TronBlaster

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fair enough.  For some reason I thought Eddie was better than he was in the 2nd time here.

I think he had some real key moments.   

8/14 - homered to break 5-5 tie in the bottom of the 8th

9/6 - homered to tie the game in the bottom of the 7th

9/11 - sac fly to win the game in the bottom of the 10th

9/21 - grand slam to break tie in the bottom of the 6th

And, he injected a lot of life into the crowd.   It was great hearing the Eddie chant after all those years.    Got me riled up.   

• Upvote 2

Has anyone mentioned OF/DH Ron Kittle yet?  

Between 1983 and 1986 he averaged close to 29 HR's per year for the White Sox.  He ended up in Baltimore in 1990 at the age of 32 and banged just 22 games in which he hit .164/.203/.295/.498.  He went back to the White Sox in 1991and did just about as bad over 17 games before hanging it up.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Keith Moreland had some good years with the Cubbies before coming to Baltimore at age 35 in 1989.  

In 33 games for the O's, in what would be his last year, he "slashed" .215/.243/.280/.524 

I hate him more than anyone that ever put on the Oriole uniform.   He collected his check, did nothing to help us in a great pennant run, and I believe he just didn't show up for the last game after we had been eliminated.   Good riddance.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I hate him more than anyone that ever put on the Oriole uniform.   He collected his check, did nothing to help us in a great pennant run, and I believe he just didn't show up for the last game after we had been eliminated.   Good riddance.

Same. He didn’t want to be an Oriole and it showed. 

20 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Keith Moreland had some good years with the Cubbies before coming to Baltimore at age 35 in 1989.  

In 33 games for the O's, in what would be his last year, he "slashed" .215/.243/.280/.524 

And he had played decently up until his trade to Baltimore that year.    If he had played decently for us, maybe we would have made the playoffs that year. 

Not sure if he belongs in this thread or not, as he never played the field with the O’s.   

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And he had played decently up until his trade to Baltimore that year.    If he had played decently for us, maybe we would have made the playoffs that year. 

Not sure if he belongs in this thread or not, as he never played the field with the O’s.   

Yeah, that occurred to me after I posted.  

Matt Nokes, ‘95. Hit the ground running w/DET in ‘87 with 32 HR and a T3 ROY finish. Never quite reached those heights again, though he did have a couple 20+-HR years with the Yankees.

He was still “only” 31 when he signed in Baltimore...you’d figure he could spell Chris Hoiles once, maybe twice a week and occasionally get some play at DH. Apparently it was an old, old 31, though. 54 at bats, 6 hits, and 2 HR later, he (and apparently his career) was dunzo.

Speaking of that ‘95 squad, one could probably make a case (such as it is) for Andy Van Slyke, as well.

Until Sid Fernandez came up (excluding Sammy Sosa, whose O's contract will forever be the worst expenditure of money by a baseball team EVER because of its obvious 100% chance of failure when the contract was offered and so can never be part of any list because he will always "win") no one comes close to

Todd Cruz

Came in to play for the O's because our 3B defense was sooo bad, and in 81 games for a World Series winning team, he posted in his 5th full year as a 27 year old major leaguer a .208 batting average and a whopping -0.4 WAR. Everyone forgets how bad he was because we won the Series.

Yes, he played another year of baseball for the O's, and actually improved to a robust 0.6 WAR in 84, but then his MLB career was over. He was bad, came here and was WORSE, and then was gone.

4 hours ago, TronBlaster said:

? Rick Dempsey, 1992

I should also say that the spirit of this list is in no way meant to mock or belittle the careers of these great players, especially Demp. After all, you can't end a great career without having a great career in the first place. Most of us dream of playing even a single minor league game, let alone the awesome careers these guys had. I just think these are interesting stories and curious final chapters to brilliant careers.

198072-12707718Fr.jpg

Edited by TronBlaster
Length
  • Upvote 2