MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Where do you live?  My wife is from Long Island.  The number of people we know who have it is in the double digits. The number of people are pretty sure they have it, but can’t/won’t get tested is approaching double digits.

Haven't you heard?  We all have it - that's why they including "asymptomatic" so normal life will never return.

8 hours ago, atomic said:

You were the one who said baseball would start on time. I have been right every step of the way and you have been wrong every step of the way.  You would think you would learn.  

And yeah schools are a lot more important than baseball.  

Congratulations... you win the internet.

7 hours ago, jarman86 said:

Going down that road is going to get a bit more political, but when it comes to recovering from this disease and the spread of the disease, yes I trust Fauci.

Not sure it's political when this is exactly what he said.  He gets paid either way so he doesn't have to experience this inconvenience.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He can't really be a Nats fan.  He was born in New York.  He didn't come to the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda until 1968, which means the Senators were only a thing for three more years and they only had one halfway decent season in that timeframe. 

By my flawless fan reasoning flowchart he should be a Mets fan, since he was born in NY, grew up a Dodgers or Giants fan, when they left he should have become disillusioned, and eventually recovered and started rooting for the Mets.  The only way you become a Yanks fan is if you have some kind of deep, dark, genetic or psychological flaw.  Which I guess he could have, but he seems like a decent chap.

I'm guessing the departure of the Giants/Dodgers scarred him deeply and left him unable to commit to any team.  To go along with his coworkers and neighbors he pretends to be a Nats fan, while secretly wishing that he could go to a new Ebbets Field or the Polo Grounds.

Maybe he didn't become a baseball fan until his later years?

Its like me with basketball.  I root for the Clippers because I didn't get into basketball until i was like 30.  By then I had moved twice. 

4 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

I think when all is said and done we are going to see how massively we overreacted.

But its been our nature to overreact to anything in this country.

I'm sure that's the narrative that you settled on before this really ramped up, so that's the one you'll stick to forever.

Like anything else, this thing has reinforced the fact that no matter what the point of discussion is, roughly 10% of the population will refuse to believe any of it.  Everything is always a big scam or a conspiracy or a cabal run by a big eastern syndicate.

5 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

I think when all is said and done we are going to see how massively we overreacted.

Schools and colleges were closed early as were shops and stores. People started working from home. This would not have played out the same if those places remained 100% open. As of a week ago, over 50 NYC subway workers had died. Just how many innocent people would you be willing to let die so we could all just ignore it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He can't really be a Nats fan.  He was born in New York.  He didn't come to the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda until 1968, which means the Senators were only a thing for three more years and they only had one halfway decent season in that timeframe. 

By my flawless fan reasoning flowchart he should be a Mets fan, since he was born in NY, grew up a Dodgers or Giants fan, when they left he should have become disillusioned, and eventually recovered and started rooting for the Mets.  The only way you become a Yanks fan is if you have some kind of deep, dark, genetic or psychological flaw.  Which I guess he could have, but he seems like a decent chap.

I'm guessing the departure of the Giants/Dodgers scarred him deeply and left him unable to commit to any team.  To go along with his coworkers and neighbors he pretends to be a Nats fan, while secretly wishing that he could go to a new Ebbets Field or the Polo Grounds.

I was born in NY.  I HATE the Stankees.  How did I become an O's fan?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

I was born in NY.  I HATE the Stankees.  How did I become an O's fan?

Me in Upstate NY. I want  to apologize and  I am going to step back for awhile. My friend took a turn for the worse and they want to put him on a ventilator and he thinks it would be the end. i will be back in July for baseball in Arizona.

Be safe everyone and take care.

36 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Me in Upstate NY. I want  to apologize and  I am going to step back for awhile. My friend took a turn for the worse and they want to put him on a ventilator and he thinks it would be the end. i will be back in July for baseball in Arizona.

Be safe everyone and take care.

So sorry. Hope for the best for your friend.

6 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

Yep, ignore China, Italy, Spain, etc., etc., etc. Continue your egocentric journey.

To try to get this thread at least somewhat back on topic, there's a good article about in The Athletic today about what needs to happen before sports can come back: https://theathletic.com/1747847/2020/04/15/data-not-dates-what-doctors-need-to-know-before-sports-should-return-to-normal/

All three doctors know enough to believe that sports won’t be back as we knew them for a long time, even though many states in the U.S. have started to see their hospitalizations and death totals plateau in recent days.

It will be data, not dates, that should determine when it’s wise for people to slowly start getting back to their old routines. Come back too early and there’s a risk that another wave of the virus will hit, perhaps worse than the one the U.S. has already endured.

So far, more than 600,000 are known to have been infected in the U.S., and nearly 30,000 have died. Those numbers are despite a massive monthlong effort in many states to limit social interaction.

If COVID-19 can infect a person only once, like most viruses, then those who have had the virus and recovered would be safe to be in crowds.

“They’d get the green light first for large gatherings,” Chang said.

But if COVID-19 can infect the same person multiple times — like, say, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which is common among children — there will be a much larger problem.

It certainly sounds unlikely that fans will be allowed at any sporting events this year, if they even happen. And even fanless games won't happen unless testing capabilities dramatically improve enough that you could test all players and support staff frequently.

“In a few months, if testing is widespread and the major franchises and teams can test their players and their personnel rather frequently, without limiting the supplies to health care professionals, you could see how it could work,” Chang said.

“You’d be testing a few thousand people and you could test them frequently. That’s a possibility for sports to return in that fashion, but that’s a pretty limited way.”

But the chances of this happening soon are pretty slim.

“We need to be sure that community spread isn’t a major issue anymore, and I just don’t think that’s true at the moment,” Chang said. “We have active community spread.

But we are likely a long way from getting back to normal in the sporting world. At this point, nobody should be guessing at a date. It’s data that will make the call, and there are still so many unanswered questions.

19 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

To try to get this thread at least somewhat back on topic, there's a good article about in The Athletic today about what needs to happen before sports can come back: https://theathletic.com/1747847/2020/04/15/data-not-dates-what-doctors-need-to-know-before-sports-should-return-to-normal/

It certainly sounds unlikely that fans will be allowed at any sporting events this year, if they even happen. And even fanless games won't happen unless testing capabilities dramatically improve enough that you could test all players and support staff frequently.

Yeah, it’s pure guesswork as to when, where and under what exact conditions baseball will return.    I know this:   I’ll be very happy when it’s back, in any form.    I could really use the distraction.