MLB looking into starting the season in MAY

Uli2001

6 minutes ago, scOtt said:

There's a horrible video of a "football" stadium burning up in England recently. Like within the last 30 years, not sure. Pretty scary. Went up like a campfire starting, torched the whole grandstand in like 10 minutes.

Bradford Stadium 1985. Search at your own risk. ;)

4 hours ago, atomic said:

I really think the baseball plan is the most assine things ever.  Read things about NYC.  Policeman went to emergency room for Covid-19 and they said he was fine and should just rest at home. Dies on sidewalk outside of hospital.  Most likely because hospitals was already full of people.

Really we don't need baseball at this time.  And there plan is about as dumb as they come.  Here is an idea shut-down. Wait until they tell you social distancing should end.  Start up schools for a month. If we don't have another outbreak than think about starting sports up again. 

We don't have time or methods to test people daily or care for them in hospitals or them to spread this all over the place.  They have enough money. They should stay home and relax or volunteer to help. 

Every report has been clear that the plan is contingent on things being better than they are now. They aren't looking to play today or tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I prefer to think of it as an insurance company losing.

I chased a rainbow down a one-way street, dead end.
And all my friends turned out to be insurance salesmen .  .  .
                                                     --John Prine

?

7 hours ago, Going Underground said:

This is one way we will get out of it but many people won't like it. Phone tracking and testing .

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/contact-tracing-could-free-america-from-its-quarantine-nightmare/609577/

I for one won't like it.  George Orwell certainly was a prophet, wasn't he?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, atomic said:

I don't see any correlation to 9/11.  That was a one time event.  You didn't die by going to a baseball game. I flew a month after 9/11.  There were soldiers with M-16's all over the airport.  They were able to solve the problem very  quickly by taking actions.  This isn't anyway the same type of scenario.  You notice how like almost every nursing home is having outbreaks and every prison.  This will go through the teams like a fireball. Get big groups of people together in one place and you will have an outbreak.  

It was a terrible national tragedy that baseball played a (small) part in healing. Which baseball could do again in this case.

Sometimes I think you act thick just to be argumentative.

4 hours ago, orioles119 said:

I for one won't like it.  George Orwell certainly was a prophet, wasn't he?

*shudder* Orwell only got the year wrong. About 17 years early.

Not sure which came first. 2001: A Space Odyssey or 1984...

13 hours ago, scOtt said:

There's a horrible video of a "football" stadium burning up in England recently. Like within the last 30 years, not sure. Pretty scary. Went up like a campfire starting, torched the whole grandstand in like 10 minutes.

13 hours ago, scOtt said:

Bradford Stadium 1985. Search at your own risk. ;)

For some reason I read about that in the last six months or so.  The Bradford fire along with the Hillsborough disaster (among others outside England) led to sweeping changes in stadium building standards.  In 1985 you could go to a match and stand in an open terrace or on wooden bleachers.  By the 1990s it was all fire-resistant construction and no more terraces ("all-seaters").  Some places like Germany and even the new Audi Park for DC United have standing terraces, but each row is separated by railings so that you don't have surges of the crowd that lead to crushing and trampling.

Somehow we've avoided huge messes like that in the US, for the most part.  Maybe dumb luck.  I know I've felt like I was on the verge of death as a visiting fan at WVU football games...

13 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I chased a rainbow down a one-way street, dead end.
And all my friends turned out to be insurance salesmen .  .  .
                                                     --John Prine

?

But fortunately, I have the key, to escape reality.

RIP