Angels sweep inept Orioles with 6-0 win

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

https://www.orioleshangout.com/2020/04/22/angels-sweep-inept-orioles-with-6-0-win/

It is what it is at this point, but it is fun looking up new ways to describe failure and losing. The minors have really been disappointing.

If the minors don't offer promise than this whole rebuild will just collapse.  You can't keep losing this heavily at the major league level and not be able to at least point to the minors as a glimmer of hope for the future.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the minors don't offer promise than this whole rebuild will just collapse.  You can't keep losing this heavily at the major league level and not be able to at least point to the minors as a glimmer of hope for the future.

100%.  Would be truly awful if things play out this year as they are in the sim, SSS notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Maybe I'm dead wrong about this, but OOTP simulator is "bad team on paper = bad team in sim". Real life has way more variables because real people are way more variable.

Well it'd be weird if the 2020 Orioles in the OOTP sim turned out to be the '27 Yankees.  As fun as that would be, it wouldn't be very realistic.  I can't imagine Santander putting up Babe Ruth numbers with Lou Gehrig numbers from Mancini and Tony Lazzeri numbers from Hanser Alberto (actually Alberto's batting average is like .323 for me, he's 3rd in the league which is pretty cool).  

Real life has some variables but not that many.  The 2020 Orioles are going to be bad no matter what.  And OOTP is a simulator...its not a fantasy world.  So...yeah, bad team on paper = bad team in sim.  Which is to be expected.

I will say, there have been times in managing the games where defensive shifts and alignments have come up huge.  Guarding the lines, infield deep, hard shifts to the left and right sides, outfield shifts and playing deep...have definitely saved runs and stopped innings from getting out of hand.  Pulling starting pitchers after 5 innings because you just know they can't get through a lineup for the third time...those things have guided me to wins, I believe.  But it can't mask that my starting rotation is Dean Kremer, John Means, Cody Sedlock, Ervin Santana and Kohl Stewart.

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well it'd be weird if the 2020 Orioles in the OOTP sim turned out to be the '27 Yankees.  As fun as that would be, it wouldn't be very realistic.  I can't imagine Santander putting up Babe Ruth numbers with Lou Gehrig numbers from Mancini and Tony Lazzeri numbers from Hanser Alberto (actually Alberto's batting average is like .323 for me, he's 3rd in the league which is pretty cool).  

Real life has some variables but not that many.  The 2020 Orioles are going to be bad no matter what.  And OOTP is a simulator...its not a fantasy world.  So...yeah, bad team on paper = bad team in sim.  Which is to be expected.

I will say, there have been times in managing the games where defensive shifts and alignments have come up huge.  Guarding the lines, infield deep, hard shifts to the left and right sides, outfield shifts and playing deep...have definitely saved runs and stopped innings from getting out of hand.  Pulling starting pitchers after 5 innings because you just know they can't get through a lineup for the third time...those things have guided me to wins, I believe.  But it can't mask that my starting rotation is Dean Kremer, John Means, Cody Sedlock, Ervin Santana and Kohl Stewart.

I wish I had that problem. I can't get to the 5th inning within the last week without being down by 6 or more runs.

This is a sim and I'll admit that there are some strange ratings for some players so let's not fall on our sword as this is the be all end all. This is a game that thinks Dwight Smith Jr. is a good defensive  left fielder so it's not perfect. 

I've also noticed when you play the games like I do batter by batter, batters seems to hit much better with two outs. The amount of no one on, two out rallys that end up into multiple run innings is pretty common, so common in fact that I actually assume that is my pitcher gets the first two guys out, that the third guy is getting a hit. Clearly that doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough that I've noticed it over several versions of the game. 

The game seems to give a more realistic long term output when just simulated with no human interaction. I can't back that up with stats, but the extreme way the sim has played of late suggests it was trying to correct for us winning six games straight.

Who knows? As for the minors, many players have ratings that are questionable including some players who have been given ratings at positions they've never played before and made to be their main position.

Some random org guy may have a two and half star ceiling while a real prospect may have a half star potential, which makes no sense. 

So let's remember, while OOTP is the best out there, it's still flawwed when it comes to rating players, particularly minor league players where they've struggled in the past. 

Sure, I'm not having a lot of fun writing up 13-1 defeats every night, but I committed to doing this daily until baseball starts and will continue to do so.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I wish I had that problem. I can't get to the 5th inning within the last week without being down by 6 or more runs.

Yeah, I've had that problem, too.  Especially going up against good lineups like the Yankees/Sox back to back.

But if I somehow get one of these starters through 5 innings, I don't dare let them go 6.  I'll have a guy warming up and if my starter lets a baserunner on, I pull him.  Like yesterday, Kohl Stewart and his 7+ ERA made it through 5 innings giving up 1 run on an economical 60 pitches...even though he still had enough left in the tank, I wasn't going to risk it.  

I read an article years ago about how sports games work...like when playing Madden, all of a sudden the computer goes on a tear and you can't do anything to stop them.  Or a play you know that'll work all of a sudden gets miraculously intercepted...that's the computer's AI kicking in and, as you correctly pointed out, correcting itself for allowing you to score 21 unanswered points and making the game competitive.  That's probably what's happening here with the 2 out rallies.  I've seen some of those, I just figured it's cause my pitching is terrible.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I've had that problem, too.  Especially going up against good lineups like the Yankees/Sox back to back.

But if I somehow get one of these starters through 5 innings, I don't dare let them go 6.  I'll have a guy warming up and if my starter lets a baserunner on, I pull him.  Like yesterday, Kohl Stewart and his 7+ ERA made it through 5 innings giving up 1 run on an economical 60 pitches...even though he still had enough left in the tank, I wasn't going to risk it.  

I read an article years ago about how sports games work...like when playing Madden, all of a sudden the computer goes on a tear and you can't do anything to stop them.  Or a play you know that'll work all of a sudden gets miraculously intercepted...that's the computer's AI kicking in and, as you correctly pointed out, correcting itself for allowing you to score 21 unanswered points and making the game competitive.  That's probably what's happening here with the 2 out rallies.  I've seen some of those, I just figured it's cause my pitching is terrible.

I thought that too, but I've seen the Orioles offense do it a lot as well. I've seen it in previous editions as well. Not sure why batters hit so well with two outs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can you edit the players abilities in OOTP like NBA 2K and other sports video games? That would be one way to do it. I just might tweak Chris Davis into his 2013 version if I was simulating the 2020 O's.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Can you edit the players abilities in OOTP like NBA 2K and other sports video games? That would be one way to do it. I just might tweak Chris Davis into his 2013 version if I was simulating the 2020 O's.

I'm not sure if you can.  It'd probably be more fun just to go back and play as the 2013 team.  

What was really fun was releasing Chris Davis.