SI: MLBPA rejects 2020 draft proposal - UPDATE 5 round implemented

weams

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting they would have an issue with the plan.  Do they honestly care about these non-union members or are they just trying to set the tone for the next CBA?

I wonder if they are contemplating including minor league players in the MLBPA? The interests of the two groups of players seem to have converged a bit since they first contemplated the idea when the union was established. You gotta get paid when you are bright and shiny, not a 30 year old FA.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting they would have an issue with the plan.  Do they honestly care about these non-union members or are they just trying to set the tone for the next CBA?

Just for drafting more players total that might end up in the MLBPA? Union numbers.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's the forty man.

You are correct. 

Major League Baseball Players Association

Is the union that represents players on the 40-man rosters of the 30 Major League baseball teams and oversees MLB Players, Inc., which exclusively represents the group commercial and licensing activities involving active players. 

On behalf of its members, the union also operates the Major League Baseball Players Trust (www.PlayersTrust.org ), a 501(c)3 charitable foundation that supports youth baseball development as well as a full range of causes and initiatives as directed by its member players.

23 hours ago, weams said:

So when you get promoted to the 40-man you’re automatically in? Do you have to actually join? Do you have the right to NOT join?

if you get sent back down are you stripped of your membership?

edit: I just perused the link you shared. If it addresses those questions, I missed it.If it addresses those questions, I missed it.

Edited by Philip
  • Thanks 2

Kevin Millar was never a union member if I remember correctly, crossed the picket line.  I don't know if "right to work" (god I had that name) state status comes into play at all, although Janus changed everything.

I would imagine once you are in they dont kick you out, thought it would suck to get your cup of coffee and they go back to years of a minor league career while still paying dues.

As for why MLBPA would reject the draft proposal, I would imagine it has to do with the balance of power on the whole.  The move to shorten the draft obviously fits hand in hand with MLBs desire to eliminate minor league teams.

That would decrease the number of potential union members even if it did not reduce the number of actual union members and in that way it's the same as why the unions fought the janus case.

Janus for those who are unfamiliar ruled that unions could not collect dues from non-union members even if they were in the union's protected working class.

• Upvote 1

Cutting slot values in half for rounds 6-10 is weak and not based on anything other than frugality on the part of the owners. It saves less than $500K per team (last year the Orioles slot value for rounds 6-10 in which they had the first pick was $1.03 million), capping undrafted players at $20,000 for 5 and $5,000 for all others is also an absurd penny pinching move. For rounds 11 on in previous drafts, that cap was $125K, dropping it to $20,000 for 5 players and $5,000 for the rest is ridiculous.

The 11th round on isn't solely minor league roster churn, in the 2010 draft, the following notable players were taken (and signed) in the 11th round alone - Adam Duvall, Joc Pederson, Chasen Shreve, and Adam Kolarek.

Notable players taken and signed in the 11th round and onward by the Orioles since 2010 include Cedric Mullins, John Means, Steven Brault, Jimmy Yac, Mike Yaz, Donnie Hart, Josh Hader, and Zach Davies. And the Orioles are notably terrible at drafting! If this was in place when those guys were drafted, most of the high school players would have gone to college and most of the college players would have stayed for their senior year.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Cutting slot values in half for rounds 6-10 is weak and not based on anything other than frugality on the part of the owners. It saves less than $500K per team (last year the Orioles slot value for rounds 6-10 in which they had the first pick was $1.03 million), capping undrafted players at $20,000 for 5 and $5,000 for all others is also an absurd penny pinching move. For rounds 11 on in previous drafts, that cap was $125K, dropping it to $20,000 for 5 players and $5,000 for the rest is ridiculous.

The 11th round on isn't solely minor league roster churn, in the 2010 draft, the following notable players were taken (and signed) in the 11th round alone - Adam Duvall, Joc Pederson, Chasen Shreve, and Adam Kolarek.

Notable players taken and signed in the 11th round and onward by the Orioles since 2010 include Cedric Mullins, John Means, Steven Brault, Jimmy Yac, Mike Yaz, Donnie Hart, Josh Hader, and Zach Davies. And the Orioles are notably terrible at drafting! If this was in place when those guys were drafted, most of the high school players would have gone to college and most of the college players would have stayed for their senior year.

I disagree.

I think they are trying to leverage this opportunity to further advance their long range goal.  (less emphasis on the minor leagues and more on team run camps)

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You would think the two sides could get together and hammer out a "fair" deal for all parties involved.

There is plenty of money to be shared among the parties involved, no need for any one party to get greedy,

The players are smarting from the last CBA where they thought they got what they wanted only to find out they wanted the wrong things.  I don't think they are in a mood to come to a graceful accord.  The owners of course take a longer view of things and want any incremental advantage they can muster.