SI: MLBPA rejects 2020 draft proposal - UPDATE 5 round implemented

weams

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The players are smarting from the last CBA where they thought they got what they wanted only to find out they wanted the wrong things.  I don't think they are in a mood to come to a graceful accord.  The owners of course take a longer view of things and want any incremental advantage they can muster.

Im in no mood for a work stoppage. I dont care if its player caused or owner caused.

Not the time for that. IMO

Note. I have heard no rumors of a stoppage, just rambling, because I remember and hated the previous stoppages.

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree.

I think they are trying to leverage this opportunity to further advance their long range goal.  (less emphasis on the minor leagues and more on team run camps)

That is a good reason to cut the total number of rounds, but it doesn't seem relevant as to why the slot values should be cut.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Apparently it will be even worse. Great. 

They shouldn’t be able to sign anyone after 5th round if they are doing this.  Owners are taking advantage of pandemic to rip off these guys.  It doesn’t even make sense. By far most of the draft money is spent of the first five rounds. 

59 minutes ago, atomic said:

They shouldn’t be able to sign anyone after 5th round if they are doing this.  Owners are taking advantage of pandemic to rip off these guys.  It doesn’t even make sense. By far most of the draft money is spent of the first five rounds. 

Can't imagine many players will sign after the 5th round. Have to figure almost no high schoolers, and the college players don't lose any eligibility this year, so players that would have been Juniors this year still have two more years of eligibility and could presumably get full bonuses next year.

Even if you are a fringe prospect, I would think spending the a fourth year in college and getting a degree beats $20K, even if you somehow got less next year.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Can't imagine many players will sign after the 5th round. Have to figure almost no high schoolers, and the college players don't lose any eligibility this year, so players that would have been Juniors this year still have two more years of eligibility and could presumably get full bonuses next year.

Might be more than you think.  Some kids just don't want to go to school and others won't be able to afford it since baseball doesn't offer a lot of scholarships.  I guess you might see an uptick in quality players in community college.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Might be more than you think.  Some kids just don't want to go to school and others won't be able to afford it since baseball doesn't offer a lot of scholarships.  I guess you might see an uptick in quality players in community college.

Yeah, for the high school players without academic interest, community college will be a popular avenue. Draft will be stacked next year, extra important for the Orioles to tank ?.

IMO, this is a bad scenario for the Os.  On the one hand, our supplemental pick is extremely valuable in this situation, but we are not able to take advantage of our second pick in every round after the fifth round and we may be unable to take advantage of our large bonus pool to spread $ among more prospects.  Further, this may push kids who need the $ and don't want to go to college into the fourth and fifth rounds where they may have to sign for slot instead of holding out for $600k-$1M.

What may be interesting is that this should force agents/draft picks to be more upfront about $ and may cause talent to be drafted in appropriate order straight down the line instead of the way many teams weave in and out of the draft with under-slot signings.  In other words, the five round scramble creates a different set of scenarios than what teams were getting used to with 10 rounds.

For the Os sake, it would have been nicer to see this closer to 10-15 rounds.

We have six picks, #2 overall and three of the top 40, and the largest bonus pool.  We need our front office to draft wisely.

If one wants to be optimistic, one scenario could be that we save $500k against slot with our three top picks and then have $ to go above slot in rounds four and five and possibly pick up the equivalent of an additional third round talent.  Lots of scenarios, obviously.  It will be interesting if a kid who wants $500k and has agreed with the Os to take $500k in the fourth round will be drafted by a different team offering the kid slot (say for example $300k in this example) and telling the kid to pound sand or take the $.

13 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, for the high school players without academic interest, community college will be a popular avenue. Draft will be stacked next year, extra important for the Orioles to tank ?.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Going to be harder in an abbreviated season. 

I think these O's are up to the task!

82abc133dafcdd4afa8dd998ffa70ac9--superm