Owners submit new economic plan to union : UPDATED

Tony-OH

8 hours ago, 24fps said:

I agree with your post up to the last two sentences.  I think the disease will prove to be far deadlier than it currently appears it will be.  We won't know until this time next year and I certainly hope you're right.  Nice gesture tho...

I look forward to seeing some baseball even in a highly compromised form.

We haven't even begun to see large numbers die from complications related to the virus. Depending on how bad the case is, it can cause slight to severe lung damage plus I can pretty well assure you there will be a second wave sometime later in this year. 

Also, I do not think any player should be forced to play, either. Worker's safety has been a thing for almost 30 years now, I do not see how this applies differently to baseball. A players long term health should not be considered a potential trade off to watch 82 or however many games of baseball we'd see this season.

Finally, the virus does not suddenly stop being a public health risk because you are bored of it. It doesn't stop being one because your employers, who are only focused on the money in their pocket tell you it is safe. No player should play for anything less than their contract- any other workplace with a union worth its salt has secured full paycheck for its work force even in limited hours. This should be the absolute baseline for what owners need to give for players to play.

Edited by MountUrCastle
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I would prefer that personally, but MLB makes enough money, that they can afford to pay the guys major league minimum to sit at home, especially since their replacement would be getting major league minimum as well.

While the MLB donated 1 mill each, so that workers for the team will still get a paycheck. The contract vendors that work at OPACY was protesting yesterday, their money runs out, and since they are not formal employees, they will not be getting additional money from their vendor company. According to WBAL, there are 50K workers in this hospitality category in the city.

11 minutes ago, Chuck A said:

The players need to play.  As far as how bad this pandemic is, let me share some first hand information.  I was hospitalized on April 2nd, I had a heart attack.  Not from fear of Covid-19 but from blockages of arteries in my heart.  I had to have emergency surgery ... I feel 1000% better today than I did then.  I am a very friendly person and am at ease speaking to damn near anyone at all.  Anyway, I was informed while in the hospital that in my condition, even though the only symptom similar to the Covid-19 pandemic being shortness of breath, I would be counted as a patient.  The staff I spoke to was in absolute disgust that the reasoning for this (from high up in the hospital) was that they would get a $39,000 bonus for each case they report.  And other information I will not share.  Be careful of what you hear on the news today.  It will be different a few years down the road.

April 2nd is the same date, I had my COVID attack and ended up in the hospital.

I think the people did not tell you correctly about the 39K.

Bottom line, glad to see you are still with us.

Medicare has determined that a hospital gets paid $13,000 if a COVID-19 patient on Medicare is admitted and $39,000 if the patient goes on a ventilator, he claimed.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/21/facebook-posts/Fact-check-Hospitals-COVID-19-payments/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chuck A said:

The players need to play.  As far as how bad this pandemic is, let me share some first hand information.  I was hospitalized on April 2nd, I had a heart attack.  Not from fear of Covid-19 but from blockages of arteries in my heart.  I had to have emergency surgery ... I feel 1000% better today than I did then.  I am a very friendly person and am at ease speaking to damn near anyone at all.  Anyway, I was informed while in the hospital that in my condition, even though the only symptom similar to the Covid-19 pandemic being shortness of breath, I would be counted as a patient.  The staff I spoke to was in absolute disgust that the reasoning for this (from high up in the hospital) was that they would get a $39,000 bonus for each case they report.  And other information I will not share.  Be careful of what you hear on the news today.  It will be different a few years down the road.

Glad you are all good Chuck!  That had to be scary.   

This is purely conjecture, I have not evidence to back it up, only things I have heard from fairly direct interactions that any death that is remotely related to Covid is being reported as a Covid death.  Including hospice patients, who obviously are terminally ill already, but if they contract Covid and pass, hospice reports is and it is counted as a Covid death.  And saying that I am not saying that people should still not take this virus seriously, I have older parents who my family and I are constantly urging they stay home and isolated and will insist they do so for quite some time to come.   But how things are being reported with this (IMO) are not fair and accurate.  It's really disappointing and worrisome because the next pandemic may not be taken as nearly as seriously if this all comes out as having been statistically manipulated and over hyped. 

Anyway, love seeing Manfred saying he things there will be baseball this summer.  May that is just a ploy by him to try to get the players association to give a bit, but hoping not and that it truly is positive news. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chuck A said:

Glad you are Ok.  ANd I am glad you had the sense to go to the hospital. From from some doctors and nurses I have talked to they said they aren't seeing any patients at the hospital as people are too afraid to go in no matter how serious the condition. 

18 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.

I also don't believe for a second that they're really THAT worried about their health and their families, especially when a lot of these guys have a side piece or 3 on the road. They're worried about their money.  And as big of a douche as Snell is, at least he's saying what they're all thinking.  

Have you seen what Blake Snell looks like? I highly doubt he has a string of cuties in different cities.  

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Walk Chamberlain bragged about scoring with 20,000 woman in his NBA career.

Something about a dude in a uniform that women dig.

Wilt Chamberlain was a big good looking guy and universally famous.   

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Just as long as Bobby Bonilla gets his $1M, then I’m good.  Chen might be one of the highest paid players this season along with Prince Fielder and Jacoby Ellsbury.  
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/extra-mustard/2020/05/14/rangers-prince-fielder-contract-2020-salary

By the same reasoning, good thing the O's didn't cut Davis last year.

3 hours ago, orioles119 said:

If Blake Snell's comments are any indication, I'm leaning now towards no season.  After all, we wouldn't want the players to "get theirs" as he said. ?

I totally wouldn't put it past Manfred to declare the CBA void and play with replacement players. No way the owners take the hit from a lost year of revenue laying down.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I totally wouldn't put it past Manfred to declare the CBA void and play with replacement players. No way the owners take the hit from a lost year of revenue laying down.

I agree.  And wouldn't mind it at all to be honest.  The Orioles would actually have a chance.