Jomboy: Albert Belle refuses to take 1B

Enjoy Terror

On 5/18/2020 at 12:29 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Apparently MLB marketing's department in 1999 thought every team of the future would wear uniforms with oversized logos. ?

tatc-feat.jpg

mlb_ga_future_cr_1296x729.jpg

That Pirates uniform doesn't rep a futuristic-looking pirate.  I want to see a Space Pirate. 

Also is Phisher supposed to be playing for the planet Mercury?  Did they think that teams would shift from a metropolitan home to a planetary home?

19 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

No one was more savage than Tommy Lasorda! He went off on the Philly Fanatic once for no good reason at all! Poor guy was just minding his own business!

There is more to this story:

This was the guy playing the phanatic being interviewed.

On Tommy Lasorda:
Two things pissed Dave Raymond off -- one, the Dodgers beat the Phillies; two, Tommy was really a Philly guy, but he shed his skin to be Mr. Los Angeles. He had pictures with Frank Sinatra on his wall. Everyone hated that. The Phanatic called him out on that stuff. And Tommy could be phony.

"In 1980, I went to Japan on an All-Star tour after the Phillies won the World Series. One time during pregame, I was standing in the dugout near Tommy -- I wasn't in costume -- and he was talking to Bill Madlock from the Pirates. Tug McGraw was also on the team. He was my closest friend among the players. So Tommy sees Tug and is all, 'Hey! Hey Tug!' Very friendly. Then Tug walks away and Tommy says, 'That little Punch and Judy, he shouldn't be in the majors.'

"He and Madlock go on to make fun of him. They're serious.

"I told Tug about it. The next season, the Phillies are playing Pittsburgh. Madlock comes up. McGraw is relieving. Tug beans him. Madlock is like, 'What the f--- are you doing?' Tug just points. I was like, 'Oh s---, he aimed for his head!' But I knew exactly why it happened …

"After Tommy attacked me [in 1988], the next inning I got on top of the Phillies' dugout. I had the Tommy doll in one hand, a pizza in the other. I'm stuffing his face with pizza, then smacking him. … The next day, I'm getting calls from the L.A. media. Tommy attacked me in the papers! Said I was bad for kids!

"I didn't want to get in a war of words. The next time the Dodgers came in, I sent him a pasta dinner from a favorite place and a note that said, 'I'm sorry.' I went down to see him after the game. I asked him if he got the dinner.

He said, 'Yeah. The sauce was overdone. Anything else?'"

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2020 at 9:02 PM, Frobby said:

Albert Belle was a jerk.    It’s not nothing to do with his hip, and everything to do with how he treated other people.   

On 5/19/2020 at 8:36 AM, Redskins Rick said:

And Eddie was a jerk, too??????

It was completely different.  Eddie came up as an Oriole, his teammates loved him, and he was not known to be a jerk to anyone except some reporters.  He also got a really raw deal from EBW who more-or-less blamed him for the combined faults of the 1980-86 Orioles organization.

Belle was a surly drunk signed to a huge contract in mid-career. He corked his bat, snarled at kids, threw baseballs into the stands at hecklers. 

Saying Eddie and Albert are the same is like saying that Manute Bol and John Means are both tall.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

It was completely different.  Eddie came up as an Oriole, his teammates loved him, and he was not known to be a jerk to anyone except some reporters.  He also got a really raw deal from EBW who more-or-less blamed him for the combined faults of the 1980-86 Orioles organization.

Belle was a surly drunk signed to a huge contract in mid-career. He corked his bat, snarled at kids, threw baseballs into the stands at hecklers. 

Saying Eddie and Albert are the same is like saying that Manute Bol and John Means are both tall.

My point was more about the fans quickly falling out of love with Oriole players through the years. There is a history of that.

Was not my intent to say Eddie and Belle were in the same mode.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

My point was more about the fans quickly falling out of love with Oriole players through the years. There is a history of that.

Was not my intent to say Eddie and Belle were in the same mode.

A few fans briefly bought into the EBW narrative about Eddie.  But that was completely gone by the time he came back in '96 and he's almost universally beloved in Baltimore now.  The only people in Baltimore who fondly recall Joey are the curmudgeons and devil's advocates who refuse to take the consensus position on anything.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

A few fans briefly bought into the EBW narrative about Eddie.  But that was completely gone by the time he came back in '96 and he's almost universally beloved in Baltimore now.  The only people in Baltimore who fondly recall Joey are the curmudgeons and devil's advocates who refuse to take the consensus position on anything.

I remember fans calling into baltimore sports radio talk shows and talk about Eddie dogging it and being lazy.

Cal Jr explained it pretty good one day, Eddie was such an athlete that when he ran, he didnt look like he was trying too hard, until you actually looked at how much ground in a short time he covered.

I am glad they welcomed him back to the team, just disappointed that they chased him away because of EBW.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

hit send too quickly. Greg Olson talking about Oriole fans and booing.

When he joined the Orioles in 1988, a fresh-faced reliever barely out of Auburn, he watched the Memorial Stadium crowd boo Eddie Murray.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

There is more to this story:

This was the guy playing the phanatic being interviewed.

Weird he called Tug McGraw a little punch n judy. McGraw was 2 inches taller than he was. Guess he was talking about the physical strength part.

As far as the phanatic being bad for kids. I can see someone thinking that as he has done some pretty lewd gestures that I'd be embarrassed to do behind closed doors.

Just now, OsEatAlEast said:

Weird he called Tug McGraw a little punch n judy. McGraw was 2 inches taller than he was. Guess he was talking about the physical strength part.

As far as the phanatic being bad for kids. I can see someone thinking that as he has done some pretty lewd gestures that I'd be embarrassed to do behind closed doors.

I wasnt taking sides either way. Just providing more of the background issues.

41 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Oh I knew that, I just like to slam the phanatic any chance I get. He always makes the list of top 5 mascots. ?

I dont mind the Bird, as I guess, he is the "Home team" mascot.

But personally, I think the mascots belong in the minors and not at the Pro level.

Nothing sillier looking than seeing the 3 President Caricatures running around the baseball field for the Nationals.

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont mind the Bird, as I guess, he is the "Home team" mascot.

But personally, I think the mascots belong in the minors and not at the Pro level.

Nothing sillier looking than seeing the 3 President Caricatures running around the baseball field for the Nationals.

Well yeah, what do you expect from a franchise that ripped off Walgreens for their team logo.