Jomboy: Albert Belle refuses to take 1B

Enjoy Terror

15 hours ago, LA2 said:

I've never quite understood why Albert Belle gets trashed so much by old-time O's fans. Wasn't his fault that his hip fell apart on him--he tried his absolutely hardest to play with pain. I still remember him hustling hard down the first-base line despite the fact that he could only limp. I know he was surly, even to some fans, but that shouldn't overshadow his fire to play and win.

But trick or treaters!!!!!!11111

Never understood it either.  He wasn't bad while he was here.  Certainly wasn't the nicest guy ever but while in Baltimore he was solid.   I also remember he wrote guest columns for the Sun that were pretty good.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think most fans are fine with rooting for a huge jerk if he gets a big hit in the playoffs.

I sure am.   I mean, I'd root for you if you were in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, LA2 said:

I've never quite understood why Albert Belle gets trashed so much by old-time O's fans. Wasn't his fault that his hip fell apart on him--he tried his absolutely hardest to play with pain. I still remember him hustling hard down the first-base line despite the fact that he could only limp. I know he was surly, even to some fans, but that shouldn't overshadow his fire to play and win.

I was in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium when Belle had a go ahead base hit of Mariano Rivera in the 9th. I believe it was this game. Great memory! https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA200005070.shtml

16 hours ago, LA2 said:

I trash him because when I was a kid, I waited outside the stadium to say hi to players and possibly get autographs and everyone was great except him.  He was a dbag to everyone that was there and could care less to talk to anyone or at the very least give a smile and wave like some guys did.

In retrospect, maybe he had a bad day, but you dont understand that as a kid trying to interact even for a brief second with your heros(he was never my favorite player, but Orioles players in general as being heros).  My avatar is Cal holding me when I was two.  So, I guess I have unfair expectations when it comes to how players should treat fans(especially kids) because Cal has always been a class act.

2 hours ago, sevastras said:

I trash him because when I was a kid, I waited outside the stadium to say hi to players and possibly get autographs and everyone was great except him.  He was a dbag to everyone that was there and could care less to talk to anyone or at the very least give a smile and wave like some guys did.

In retrospect, maybe he had a bad day, but you dont understand that as a kid trying to interact even for a brief second with your heros(he was never my favorite player, but Orioles players in general as being heros).  My avatar is Cal holding me when I was two.  So, I guess I have unfair expectations when it comes to how players should treat fans(especially kids) because Cal has always been a class act.

Getting mad at Albert Belle for being unfriendly is like getting mad at water for being wet.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I was in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium when Belle had a go ahead base hit of Mariano Rivera in the 9th. I believe it was this game. Great memory! https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA200005070.shtml

Not a bad lineup except that it was old and Ripken had a poor season. The bench was strong, but the starting pitching was thin and the bullpen ultra-flammable. Hargrove was a laid-back manager.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

But trick or treaters!!!!!!11111

Never understood it either.  He wasn't bad while he was here.  Certainly wasn't the nicest guy ever but while in Baltimore he was solid.   I also remember he wrote guest columns for the Sun that were pretty good.

I sure am.   I mean, I'd root for you if you were in the playoffs.

I think it had to do with Belle started to decline when he joined the Orioles. In 1998, Belle hit 37 home runs, but he was a step down from his peak where he was hitting 90+ extra base hits in a season. 

And in 2000, Belle's hip problems really started to show when he hit only 23 home runs. Fans were expecting one of the best sluggers in baseball instead they got a good player. In retrospect Belle was pretty good compared to what the Orioles called a baseball team during most of the dark years prior to 2012. 

47 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think it had to do with Belle started to decline when he joined the Orioles. In 1998, Belle hit 37 home runs, but he was a step down from his peak where he was hitting 90+ extra base hits in a season. 

And in 2000, Belle's hip problems really started to show when he hit only 23 home runs. Fans were expecting one of the best sluggers in baseball instead they got a good player. In retrospect Belle was pretty good compared to what the Orioles called a baseball team during most of the dark years prior to 2012. 

He got the largest contract at the time,if my memory serves me correctly.

Some of the fans felt that big money meant big production.

16 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Did she go out with you afterwards?

I broke a 2nd base girls arm in intramurals in college.  I hit left handed and smoked a one hopper of her harm.  She puked.  She did not go out with me afterwards.

This is why I avoided co-ed sports altogether.  Inevitably, one of two things happen.  Either A) the girl is better and makes you look like less of a man, or B) you hurt the girl and look like less of a man.  It's a no-win situation.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well, as previously mentioned, his hip went out on him.  He retired early.  That kinda sucks and, IMO, shouldn't really be held against him in his time in Baltimore.  

12 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The same fans also turn on Eddie Murray and Manny, to just name a couple.

The Oriole fandom has got some great fans, but when you fall out of favor, they turn on you quick.

Albert Belle was a jerk.    It’s not nothing to do with his hip, and everything to do with how he treated other people.