MLB makes new proposal- Union demands start date and terms by Monday

weams

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll be back because...well, I love baseball.  I love the Orioles.  I really can't imagine MLB being played and not paying attention on some dumb principle that I have against the players and the owners because they're both spoiled assholes.  You can't get mad at water for being wet.  

That said...

God #@$%ING DAMMIT.  @#%& every last one of them.  MLB just...never gets it right.  The most painful thing in all of this is that they had a chance to lead.  They had a chance to be the first pro sports league to get it together this summer, to come up with a plan to get back to playing and be the first ones on stage Nascar doesn't count, you can't prove me wrong with NO OTHER COMPETITION.  MLB, the sport with the oldest, fart-knockingist fanbase.  MLB, the sport that always seems to lag behind other sports in...just about everything.  MLB, the sport with the dumbest marketing where they try SO HARD TO BE COOL AND RELEVANT.  They had such a prime opportunity to be front stage and center.  No NBA, no NFL and no NHL.  They had an opportunity to be leaders, to show the other leagues how it's done and the opportunity for starved sports fan to see what a great game it can be.  THEY HAD A CHANCE TO HAVE A COMPLETELY CAPTIVE AUDIENCE.

And they blew it.  

The NBA made it back first, which is not surprising.  In the NBA, you get players that make a metric $%#*ton of money and are also hyper aware and concerned with defining their legacy.  LeBron James is chomping at the bit to get back on the court because he knows this might be the best/last time he can contend for a title and if he wins it, it'd add to his legacy.  You get a guy like Giannis who is obsessed with knocking him off. 

Meanwhile, in the MLB you get guys like Snell and Harper who are sitting around bitching about money.  You get the feeling that if someone told Harper this year he would bat .400 but would have to play for free to do it, he wouldn't think twice about sitting out instead of doing something that hasn't been done since 1941 and might not ever happen again.  If someone told Snell he could break Bob Gibson's ERA record for a season or strike out 384 batters this year but not make any money doing so, he'd flip you the bird and sit around and play video games.  World Series?  Forget it, they would just view it as extra work.  I think LeBron would play for free the rest of this summer if he thought he had a chance at another title.

I'm not sure where the NHL is in regards to restarting their season because it's...the NHL.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they got their act together and figured out a way to finish, it certainly looks like they're trying harder.

And you know the NFL is going to play come hell or high water.  The NFL will not miss a week.  They will start on time.  Because they all know there's too much on the line and that by the end of this summer that people will look to their league as something that can bring people together and help them heal.  People will go ballistic if the NFL start date gets pushed back or if games are missed.  But baseball not happening is seemingly being met with apathy from the general sports fanbase.  

@#$% you, MLB.  I'm not saying @#$% you forever, but for right now in this very moment, @#$% you.  @#$% you for being so far behind in everything.  @#$% you for being the last sport to make a statement on George Floyd, only doing so because people noticed you didn't and they called you out on it.  @#$% you players, @#$% you owners, @#$% you all.  @#$% you for not seizing a golden opportunity when you had one because you can't see past your stupid @#$%ing paychecks and your dumbass collective bargaining agreement.  @#$% you for not being able to put your differences aside to be able to play in a time where your fellow countrymen would love nothing more than to watch a game and forget about a pandemic and civil unrest.  @#$% you for not being there when we actually needed you.

Sums it all up. Thank you. 

8 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Still a two to three weeks away from that, but they'll need something by the end of June at the very latest.   

This is probably hardline negotiation tactic.   

But the owners are not going to want to play a season if they can't make money. 

I agree, very hardline.

I feel, that the players are stubborn enough, and call the owner out on this.

But sides wanting the other to cave.

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll be back because...well, I love baseball.  I love the Orioles.  I really can't imagine MLB being played and not paying attention on some dumb principle that I have against the players and the owners because they're both spoiled assholes.  You can't get mad at water for being wet.  

That said...

God #@$%ING DAMMIT.  @#%& every last one of them.  MLB just...never gets it right.  The most painful thing in all of this is that they had a chance to lead.  They had a chance to be the first pro sports league to get it together this summer, to come up with a plan to get back to playing and be the first ones on stage Nascar doesn't count, you can't prove me wrong with NO OTHER COMPETITION.  MLB, the sport with the oldest, fart-knockingist fanbase.  MLB, the sport that always seems to lag behind other sports in...just about everything.  MLB, the sport with the dumbest marketing where they try SO HARD TO BE COOL AND RELEVANT.  They had such a prime opportunity to be front stage and center.  No NBA, no NFL and no NHL.  They had an opportunity to be leaders, to show the other leagues how it's done and the opportunity for starved sports fan to see what a great game it can be.  THEY HAD A CHANCE TO HAVE A COMPLETELY CAPTIVE AUDIENCE.

And they blew it.  

The NBA made it back first, which is not surprising.  In the NBA, you get players that make a metric $%#*ton of money and are also hyper aware and concerned with defining their legacy.  LeBron James is chomping at the bit to get back on the court because he knows this might be the best/last time he can contend for a title and if he wins it, it'd add to his legacy.  You get a guy like Giannis who is obsessed with knocking him off. 

Meanwhile, in the MLB you get guys like Snell and Harper who are sitting around bitching about money.  You get the feeling that if someone told Harper this year he would bat .400 but would have to play for free to do it, he wouldn't think twice about sitting out instead of doing something that hasn't been done since 1941 and might not ever happen again.  If someone told Snell he could break Bob Gibson's ERA record for a season or strike out 384 batters this year but not make any money doing so, he'd flip you the bird and sit around and play video games.  World Series?  Forget it, they would just view it as extra work.  I think LeBron would play for free the rest of this summer if he thought he had a chance at another title.

I'm not sure where the NHL is in regards to restarting their season because it's...the NHL.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they got their act together and figured out a way to finish, it certainly looks like they're trying harder.

And you know the NFL is going to play come hell or high water.  The NFL will not miss a week.  They will start on time.  Because they all know there's too much on the line and that by the end of this summer that people will look to their league as something that can bring people together and help them heal.  People will go ballistic if the NFL start date gets pushed back or if games are missed.  But baseball not happening is seemingly being met with apathy from the general sports fanbase.  

@#$% you, MLB.  I'm not saying @#$% you forever, but for right now in this very moment, @#$% you.  @#$% you for being so far behind in everything.  @#$% you for being the last sport to make a statement on George Floyd, only doing so because people noticed you didn't and they called you out on it.  @#$% you players, @#$% you owners, @#$% you all.  @#$% you for not seizing a golden opportunity when you had one because you can't see past your stupid @#$%ing paychecks and your dumbass collective bargaining agreement.  @#$% you for not being able to put your differences aside to be able to play in a time where your fellow countrymen would love nothing more than to watch a game and forget about a pandemic and civil unrest.  @#$% you for not being there when we actually needed you.

This post should totally be a podcast. I'm dead serious. 

Morons... all of them.

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There will be an MLB season. Calm down. Too much money for both sides to miss out on. 

I think the lack of a real MLB commish, and just a puppet for the owners, doesnt bode well for us fans feeling that both sides are clowns.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There will be an MLB season. Calm down. Too much money for both sides to miss out on. 

People were convinced there was no way there wouldn't be a World Series in 1994.  While I'll gladly eat crow if/when proven wrong, everything is an improbability or impossibility, until it happens.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

People were convinced there was no way there wouldn't be a World Series in 1994.  While I'll gladly eat crow if/when proven wrong, everything is an improbability or impossibility, until it happens.

as long I dont have to watch women soccer. Now women beach volleyball, maybe. :)

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Honestly, I don’t care very much.    The season’s already blown to smithereens and whatever they do will go down with a huge asterisk.    And, the O’s were going to be terrible anyways.    The only thing that upsets me is that younger players (especially those in the minors) are losing a year of development.    But at this point, I can live without baseball this year if I have to.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I don’t care very much.    The season’s already blown to smithereens and whatever they do will go down with a huge asterisk.    And, the O’s were going to be terrible anyways.    The only thing that upsets me is that younger players (especially those in the minors) are losing a year of development.    But at this point, I can live without baseball this year if I have to.

Who are you and what'd you do with Frobby?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I watch the KBO. I absolutely want somebaseball. 

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The only thing that upsets me is that younger players (especially those in the minors) are losing a year of development.   

Yes sir, this is exactly when I am at. 

Im happy for those that able to watch Korean Ball, and just not for me.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well, if they want to have any kind of an MLB season, they need to get it started in the first week of July.  That means they'd have to start training...next week?  If they started training next week that'd give them 3-4 weeks to prepare for a bit of a season.

In case you didn't notice, MLB rejected the offer and they didn't counter.  Essentially, they broke off talks.  It's already a contentious relationship, chances of it getting magically better by next week and coming to an agreement to play part of a season are slim.

@ShaneDawg85is right, people were convinced in '94 that they wouldn't cancel the World Series...and they certainly did.  It wasn't just cancelling the World Series, it was cancelling Griffey/Matt Williams run at 61 and Tony Gwynn making a run at .400.  And they also took it right to the brink of the start of the '95 season.  People don't remember this too much but the start of the '95 season was delayed and they were close to having replacement players play instead.  And that would have meant that Cal wouldn't have broken 2,130.  The 1995 season was shortened to 144 games.

Now, it's a different cast of owners, a different cast of players and union reps, that might be the only silver lining here.  But it doesn't look like that is making much of a difference.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, if they want to have any kind of an MLB season, they need to get it started in the first week of July.  That means they'd have to start training...next week?  If they started training next week that'd give them 3-4 weeks to prepare for a bit of a season.

In case you didn't notice, MLB rejected the offer and they didn't counter.  Essentially, they broke off talks.  It's already a contentious relationship, chances of it getting magically better by next week and coming to an agreement to play part of a season are slim.

@ShaneDawg85is right, people were convinced in '94 that they wouldn't cancel the World Series...and they certainly did.  It wasn't just cancelling the World Series, it was cancelling Griffey/Matt Williams run at 61 and Tony Gwynn making a run at .400.  And they also took it right to the brink of the start of the '95 season.  People don't remember this too much but the start of the '95 season was delayed and they were close to having replacement players play instead.  And that would have meant that Cal wouldn't have broken 2,130.  The 1995 season was shortened to 144 games.

Now, it's a different cast of owners, a different cast of players and union reps, that might be the only silver lining here.  But it doesn't look like that is making much of a difference.

Well, Manfred was outside counsel advising the owners on the strike.

He was worthless than, and now, fast forward to 2020, still worthless to MLB.

Marty, whatever you do, skip 2020, never travel there. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Define season. 50 games, 0 fans, fake divisions, expanded rosters, most likely lack of intensity by many of the players, pretty much a poor imitation of ST. Not much better than nothing IMO.

3 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Define season. 50 games, 0 fans, fake divisions, expanded rosters, most likely lack of intensity by many of the players, pretty much a poor imitation of ST. Not much better than nothing IMO.

We can put fake fans in the stands.