Britt: The Crash of 2015

weams

https://theathletic.com/1888452/2020/06/25/an-all-out-assault-on-everything-you-hold-dear-inside-the-beat-2015-orioles/

Cruz was older. He was also a maniac about health and fitness and was in better shape than guys four or five years younger. Manager Buck Showalter took great pains not to overuse him, and Cruz was never treated for any serious injuries. It made no sense, except for the reason that maybe the Orioles didn’t — as Duquette had claimed — have the financial resources to keep Cruz and Markakis. Markakis was the sure thing, or at least he was supposed to be: a guy who lived year-round in Maryland, a homegrown talent, quiet leader, and the rare player who had an established relationship with principal owner Peter Angelos.

The fourth year. Again, that was how the Orioles painted losing a pivotal player that winter. Markakis, then 31, had a herniated disk in his neck, first diagnosed in March 2013. He played in 160 and 155 games the following two seasons. Still, Baltimore — an organization that has blamed physicals for contract breakdowns before — was wary of how Markakis’ neck would hold up. Or was it?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry this is classic hindsight.  There was plenty of reason not to keep Cruz.

Markakis has had exactly one excellent half a season since he left.

The problem isn't the people they let go, it's the people they kept.

And maybe the people they brought in, like Snider and de Aza.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eh?

Snider and De Aza didn't do near the damage that the contracts to Hardy, O'Day, Trumbo, Matusz and Davis did.

Sure. I did say "and", so I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just meant for that season specifically, they were poor replacements/players. 

I really enjoyed the article.  I do think it is interesting insight.  What I would really like is more detail into the real disfunction at this time.  Mainly, when Toronto reached out to Duquette, everything changed. Looking at Cruz...who clearly would have helped if we kept him.  Markakis certainly would not have hurt.  But signing Davis did.  Trumbo the second time...O'day the second time...Hardy the second time.  These decisions hurt more than letting the other two go, even IF you agree with the point in hindsight that the O's could or should have done both.

Corn, your point on Markakis is accurate, Markakis didn't really have a great run.  The point though is that he played for 4 years and the myriad of guys we played did not do better.  

Either way, the thrill of 14 should have been the beginning of something.  Instead...well here we are.

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I really enjoyed the article.  I do think it is interesting insight.  What I would really like is more detail into the real disfunction at this time.  Mainly, when Toronto reached out to Duquette, everything changed. Looking at Cruz...who clearly would have helped if we kept him.  Markakis certainly would not have hurt.  But signing Davis did.  Trumbo the second time...O'day the second time...Hardy the second time.  These decisions hurt more than letting the other two go, even IF you agree with the point in hindsight that the O's could or should have done both.

Corn, your point on Markakis is accurate, Markakis didn't really have a great run.  The point though is that he played for 4 years and the myriad of guys we played did not do better.  

Either way, the thrill of 14 should have been the beginning of something.  Instead...well here we are.

They traded for Trumbo the first time.

I will say that I would have been a lot happier with them bringing Markakis back then I was Trumbo or Davis (Or Cruz if that had happened).

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They traded for Trumbo the first time.

I will say that I would have been a lot happier with them bringing Markakis back then I was Trumbo or Davis (Or Cruz if that had happened).

I agree, that's what I meant by Trumbo the second time.  And I too was against Cruz and even Markakis on 4 yr deals at the time.  But in hindsight....

I was also for Hardy the second time and thought his leadership would still be worthwhile to Manny and Schoop...so...Im not always right either.