Britt: The Crash of 2015

weams

17 minutes ago, murph said:

Frobby noted it in another post that Davis spent a decent amount of time in RF and had an .843 OPS while out there.  And those same players tended to hit better when playing RF but not when playing LF (skewing the RF numbers higher with that split). 

If they'd resigned Markakis they'd have gotten about a .750 OPS out of right, just as they did.  And LF would have been covered by Pearce, David Lough, De Aza, Delmon, etc.  And the results would have been pretty much the same.  Except maybe they don't trade Zach Davies for arguably the worst 55 games of Gerardo Parra's 11-year career.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, murph said:

Frobby noted it in another post that Davis spent a decent amount of time in RF and had an .843 OPS while out there.  And those same players tended to hit better when playing RF but not when playing LF (skewing the RF numbers higher with that split). 

I forgot about Davis playing out there towards the latter part of the season.  When I think of Davis in right I more so think of 2012 when he inexplicably had a case of the yips and had trouble catching the ball at 1st, only time in his career I can recall that being the case.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Frobby said:

I’m as big a Markakis fan as anyone on this board, but I understand why they felt 4/$44 mm was too big a risk for a guy about to have surgery for a herniated disc. As it turns out, Nick recovered well and (per Fangraphs) produced $45.9 mm in value for his $44 mm.     Basically, a break even deal.   I would have liked to have his steady presence in the lineup those four years.    But, hindsight is 20/20.   

So ultimately a high risk and low reward deal. $1.9m surplus is pretty low reward.