9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

O's desperate for a lefty reliever.

My first reaction to the O's adding Brian Gonzalez to the 60 man pool was  "What?".    But then I looked into it.  Gonzalez was converted from a starter to a reliever at Bowie last season.    His line as a reliever in not half bad.

3.79 ERA,  38 IP, 28H,  9 BB,  34 SO,   .197 avg,   0.97 WHIP

So this is a reaction to trading Bleier and being left with Fry as the 2nd lefty in the pen.   We could actually see Gonzalez in the majors this season.

34 minutes ago, makoman said:

Brian Gonzalez, I honestly didn't know he was still in the org. Good thing Means came out of nowhere or 2014 would be a negative WAR draft, with Hess and Wilkerson bringing down anything Scott accomplishes. I bet there were some mistakes in there, including Bud Norris and Ubaldo. 

You can't call the Norris trade a mistake.  His one good season out of the three with the O's coincided with them winning the division by 12 games so he was obviously essential.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Aren't they playing intrasquad games in Bowie? Would a couple intrasquad games a week be that much worse than sitting on the bench with the O's?

Nobody suggested sitting on the bench with the O's.  

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't call the Norris trade a mistake.  His one good season out of the three with the O's coincided with them winning the division by 12 games so he was obviously essential.

What about that games in Detroit?

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's desperate for a lefty reliever.

My first reaction to the O's adding Brian Gonzalez to the 60 man pool was  "What?".    But then I looked into it.  Gonzalez was converted from a starter to a reliever at Bowie last season.    His line as a reliever in not half bad.

3.79 ERA,  38 IP, 28H,  9 BB,  34 SO,   .197 avg,   0.97 WHIP

So this is a reaction to trading Bleier and being left with Fry as the 2nd lefty in the pen.   We could actually see Gonzalez in the majors this season.

Then they shouldn’t have traded Bleier 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So they should have known that going into the season they wouldn’t need him? Especially with the SP issues in 13? 

Biggest mistakes of that era was the Rick Adair issue and major mishandling of Arrieta. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So they should have known that going into the season they wouldn’t need him? Especially with the SP issues in 13? 

Biggest mistakes of that era was the Rick Adair issue and major mishandling of Arrieta. 

I think they overpaid for Norris.  I don't think a start he made in the playoffs means they didn't. 

I don't think he was worth a ML ready player, a draft pick and a lottery ticket.