Reliever market

Sports Guy

I gotta agree with this...'tis amazing what "This is our Year" mentality can do to common sense. We just have to find them...

I think counting on MLB GMs to be foaming at the mouth, quivering and shaking, desperately looking for situational relievers is a great way to be let down.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't see many major league GMs dumb enough to trade two prospects and take on a bunch of salary for 15 innings of Chad Bradford. If I think that's a ridiculous trade I'd bet most GMs would rate it no worse than pretty bad.

If they feel it helps them get to and eventually win in the playoffs, they would absolutely do it.

Now, maybe you don't get the second player but i think you can get the top 10 prospect.

And, i think if you pay some of the contract, you can get an even better player or the second player.

Or, as i said, maybe you can get a good young guy like Crisp, who has struggled but was very good in Cle and has good upside.

Best sentence in the thread.

Arent the O's kinda at this point? Burres, Penn, Loewen, Hoey, Doyne Etc. Etc.

If I was the GM I would try to unload the whole bullpen for this exact reason for whatever I could get back. I bet we could find a better use for the $40 million.

I think counting on MLB GMs to be foaming at the mouth, quivering and shaking, desperately looking for situational relievers is a great way to be let down.

If the market for them is strong and there is very little out there, the concept of supply and demand becomes very large here.

This is definitely going to be an interesting case study.

If the Orioles put these guys out there(which they probably won't, thus never getting to see what we could net in return), it will be interesting to see how teams look at these contracts.

We already know a few teams have asked about Bradford, including the Yankees.

If the market for them is strong and there is very little out there, the concept of supply and demand becomes very large here.

The market for guys like Cordero, Gagne, and Otsuka is probably not the same as the market for guys like Bradford and Walker. Yes, supply and demand is a factor, but if you're going to start talking about economics you have to question if you even have substitute products here! ;)

Or, as i said, maybe you can get a good young guy like Crisp, who has struggled but was very good in Cle and has good upside.

That's more likely because the money is more equal, and also because Crisp has actually been good only two of his six years in the majors. It's starting to look more and more like '04-'05 were the outliers, and his current level of production is what he'll give you going forward. Considering the whole package, he's not that much better than Patterson.

If you're a smart GM you realize that there are a lot of pitchers who can pitch at the Bradford and Walker level. The O's have an awful pen and they won't even call up guys like Doyne and Hoey, and they're arguably better than Bradford and Walker. There's a supply glut.

That's more likely because the money is more equal, and also because Crisp has actually been good only two of his six years in the majors. It's starting to look more and more like '04-'05 were the outliers, and his current level of production is what he'll give you going forward. Considering the whole package, he's not that much better than Patterson.

I agree with Jon.

If you take the money out of the equation by swapping similar contracts, then somebody like Crisp seems like a good possibility.

Or Jacque. ;)

The market for guys like Cordero, Gagne, and Otsuka is probably not the same as the market for guys like Bradford and Walker.

I agree but other than Gagne, the others may not even be traded.

And don't forget that Gagne can block a trade to a lot of teams.

However, the asking price for them is high and probably much higher than what we should/would ask for guys like Walker and Bradford.

If you're a smart GM you realize that there are a lot of pitchers who can pitch at the Bradford and Walker level. The O's have an awful pen and they won't even call up guys like Doyne and Hoey, and they're arguably better than Bradford and Walker. There's a supply glut.

Drungo, you know as well as i do that many of the contenders are not going to throw inexperienced relievers in the middle of a playoff push.

Now, some teams will but most won't and because of that, these guys will be in demand.

Walker and Bradford are known commodities with long track records, who are performing very close to their typical levels. Both pitched well in last year's pennant race. They are pretty attractive. When it's July and you are in a pennant race, you want guys who will pitch at that level, not guys who can pitch at that level.

Crisp was getting better every year until he got into Boston...He was hurt last year.

Not sure what is going on with him this year but maybe being in Boston is a problem..I know the fans have gotten on him and i think the media has as well.

So maybe he needs a change of scenary but i would take the risk on him.

He is still young and showed signs in Cleveland that he was going to be a very good player.

Walker and Bradford are known commodities with long track records, who are performing very close to their typical levels. Both pitched well in last year's pennant race. They are pretty attractive. When it's July and you are in a pennant race, you want guys who will pitch at that level, not guys who can pitch at that level.

But you also want guys who won't cost you 10 times the MLB minimum for the next 2-3 years. There are a lot of veteran relievers available who don't have silly contracts. Almost every team under .500 has a couple they'd be happy to move.

Patterson was getting better every year until he got screwed up by Dusty.

Not sure what is going on with him this year but maybe being in Chicago is a problem..I know the fans have gotten on him and i think the media has as well.

So maybe he needs a change of scenary but i would take the risk on him.

He is still young and showed signs in Chicago that he was going to be a very good player.

That works a lot of ways.

Archived