Attention Chris Davis

SteveA

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Bunting is so easy why'd he only have a .144 career batting average?

It’s not easy to bunt for a hit when the fielders aren’t shifting, and are probably playing a little shallow since, well, you’re a .144 hitter with zero power.   It’s a lot easier when the 3B is playing 20 feet to the left of 2B at a normal depth.   

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not easy to bunt for a hit when the fielders aren’t shifting, and are probably playing a little shallow since, well, you’re a .144 hitter with zero power.   It’s a lot easier when the 3B is playing 20 feet to the left of 2B at a normal depth.   

It's not easy to hit right handed when you are lefthanded. But some folks put in the work...

His opposite field double that nearly went out of the park was a nice easy swing.  Makes me think that's a repeatable swing, and he can get hits on it even when he doesn't get it up in the air - because the defense is set for him to pull.  When he pulls it, he's almost always grounding out into the switch - or striking out.  It seems like a matter of being disciplined.    

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

His opposite field double that nearly went out of the park was a nice easy swing.  Makes me think that's a repeatable swing, and he can get hits on it even when he doesn't get it up in the air - because the defense is set for him to pull.  When he pulls it, he's almost always grounding out into the switch - or striking out.  It seems like a matter of being disciplined.    

His at bats have looked better so far this season.  He has hit the ball hard a couple of times and gotten out and only has one K.  I still don’t think he should get much playing time after the first week, but he has looked better than he has in the past.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bravo, that's the thing.  He's got the whole side of the infield open.  It is certainly NOT something he has put any work into.  It looks like he's worked to continue hitting into the shift over the past two seasons.

In a normal bunting situation, you have 3 players within a playable distance to the ball: 3b or 1b and the P and C.  In CD's case there is one player that can make a play on a well bunted ball that could even be a pusher or a slapper not a traditional bunt.  If he were to take the time to develop that skill of placing the ball on the grass of the 3b side 1/2 or more up the line, he'd be on base.  If he were able to put a little power into it and get it beyond the base he definitely makes it.

Just on numbers of at bats 300/ season.  If he bunts once every two games and there's 8 ab's and we say that he's successful half of those times that's 1/16 if we factor two more hits in for him to average 3/16 that's .188.  Another bunt gets him to 4/16 and a BA of .225.  That would best his totals for his last 3 years.

The problem with this argument is that most who disagree, disagree with what bunting and the bunting numbers have come to be seen as over the years - - - an automatic out.  True enough, but that's with fielders playing shallow and an athletic quickness to the ball.  Given.  THAT is NOT this situation.  The hit is being given, the fielders are saying take it by their positioning, and it is not being taken because of either ineptitude in doing it or outright stubbornness to attempt to adapt to the game and what's being GIVEN.

By learning to do it even modestly well and forcing honesty in position play, the right side of the IF would have to be opened up even slightly to him and maybe that's enough to see a little more production.  I'm pretty dubious on any changes when it comes his approach tho, or the team really insisting on anything different.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Bravo, that's the thing.  He's got the whole side of the infield open.  It is certainly NOT something he has put any work into.  It looks like he's worked to continue hitting into the shift over the past two seasons.

In a normal bunting situation, you have 3 players within a playable distance to the ball: 3b or 1b and the P and C.  In CD's case there is one player that can make a play on a well bunted ball that could even be a pusher or a slapper not a traditional bunt.  If he were to take the time to develop that skill of placing the ball on the grass of the 3b side 1/2 or more up the line, he'd be on base.  If he were able to put a little power into it and get it beyond the base he definitely makes it.

Just on numbers of at bats 300/ season.  If he bunts once every two games and there's 8 ab's and we say that he's successful half of those times that's 1/16 if we factor two more hits in for him to average 3/16 that's .188.  Another bunt gets him to 4/16 and a BA of .225.  That would best his totals for his last 3 years.

The problem with this argument is that most who disagree, disagree with what bunting and the bunting numbers have come to be seen as over the years - - - an automatic out.  True enough, but that's with fielders playing shallow and an athletic quickness to the ball.  Given.  THAT is NOT this situation.  The hit is being given, the fielders are saying take it by their positioning, and it is not being taken because of either ineptitude in doing it or outright stubbornness to attempt to adapt to the game and what's being GIVEN.

By learning to do it even modestly well and forcing honesty in position play, the right side of the IF would have to be opened up even slightly to him and maybe that's enough to see a little more production.  I'm pretty dubious on any changes when it comes his approach tho, or the team really insisting on anything different.

Honestly some guys can figure out bunting and some can’t. Chris May be too proud to bunt or maybe he’s been unsuccessful if practice. If that’s the case why do it in a game? 

He's hitting the ball hard and his extra muscle gain has him back where he can make a nice easy swing carry to within a foot of the top of the monster in left center.  Not sure why he lost so much weight the past two years, but the added muscle will certainly help this season.  I'm still pulling for him to have a nice bounce back, and with Mancini out and Mountcastle still not with the club, its not like he's blocking anyone.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

He's hitting the ball hard and his extra muscle gain has him back where he can make a nice easy swing carry to within a foot of the top of the monster in left center.  Not sure why he lost so much weight the past two years, but the added muscle will certainly help this season.  I'm still pulling for him to have a nice bounce back, and with Mancini out and Mountcastle still not with the club, its not like he's blocking anyone.  

Dilson Herrera dice, "Hola cabron!"!  ?. Solamente el cafe amigo!

38 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I'm guessing it's some combination of unintentional - not working out as hard to maintain bulk post-physical peak - and some intentional - to help prolong career