Sulser Fails at Save attempt, O's lose 8-6 after rain

weams

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Actually there was plenty of weak to go around.   Sulser didn't hit his spots and the ump didn't call them when he did.

Allow me to be more clear.

In my opinion it is weak for fans to complain about the umps. 

Unless of course you think they have a league mandate ordering them to make calls that don't favor the O's?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Allow me to be more clear.

In my opinion it is weak for fans to complain about the umps. 

Unless of course you think they have a league mandate ordering them to make calls that don't favor the O's?

Did you watch the 9th inning?

15 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I don't think anyone is saying they are out to get the O's, but when the ump misses obvious calls and then the pitcher has to come back with a teed up homerun ball, its frustrating.  That's all.

In a season that is already on the brink of collapse, with 7 inning double headers and runners on second in extra innings that resembles beer league softball, this would have been the time to start testing out computer aided strike zones.  But alas, I'm just glad to have baseball back, in whatever form we have.

In total agreement with you on all fronts. 

That it's silly to imply that umpires can not / do not impact games when they miss calls...  even ball and strike calls. Every blown call is a change in scenario in an at bat that can lead to pitchers having to take extra risks that they otherwise wouldn't have, and there definitely may be a different result at the end.

And I wholeheartedly agree that yes, this would have been the perfect year to implement electronic balls and strikes at every stadium where MLB games are being played that are equipped to handle it.

As a disclaimer, I also was not up to see the ninth last night (working from home and my day starts at 7) so my comments are not stemming from last night's game.  It's just a road that we've walked down far too many times before. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I don't think anyone is saying they are out to get the O's, but when the ump misses obvious calls and then the pitcher has to come back with a teed up homerun ball, its frustrating.  That's all.

In a season that is already on the brink of collapse, with 7 inning double headers and runners on second in extra innings that resembles beer league softball, this would have been the time to start testing out computer aided strike zones.  But alas, I'm just glad to have baseball back, in whatever form we have.

Sure it's frustrating but what's the point of complaining about it in a thread?

20 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

My wife is a Phillies fan and last night was shocked at the inconsistency.  It is the messy kind of season to try out electronic assistance.  I see how Sulser's was close to call, and tough not to get.  Britton's pitch 6 inches below the knee was a I'm ready to go home call.

Ironically, Kevin Brown was basically calling pitches in counts for both sides.  Would Sulser throw a 2-2 fastball, like he did the 3-1 fastball?  It does make a difference. 

I will also say, maybe being in a fastball count against a HR hitter, you just don't throw the fastball...

Either way, the O's did good to fight back from a 5-0 1st inning hole and it was a crappy way to see the game end.

18 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

In total agreement with you on all fronts. 

That it's silly to imply that umpires can not / do not impact games when they miss calls...  even ball and strike calls. Every blown call is a change in scenario in an at bat that can lead to pitchers having to take extra risks that they otherwise wouldn't have, and there definitely may be a different result at the end.

And I wholeheartedly agree that yes, this would have been the perfect year to implement electronic balls and strikes at every stadium where MLB games are being played that are equipped to handle it.

As a disclaimer, I also was not up to see the ninth last night (working from home and my day starts at 7) so my comments are not stemming from last night's game.  It's just a road that we've walked down far too many times before. 

The more I watch the way the game is going and how bad the home plate umpires are now, I agree with this 100%. Why not give it a shot for maybe one game of a series or for one or two series per team? 

I used to be against it, but honestly, watching that knucklehead consistently miss pitches and be inconsistent within his own zone last night kinda was the last straw for me to be a convert. Either that or allow umpires back there but allow managers to challenge a couple of pitches a night with immediate computer response to whether it was a ball or strike.

Honestly, base umpires are just for show now anyways since their calls can be challenged.

• Upvote 1