No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Whatever he is paid is a sunk cost, yes, but the question is whether the amount he is paid is much less if he is on the roster and they play far fewer games.  If it is true that a player that is cut before the season is owed the full season's salary even if the season ends up being dramatically shorter.  Apparently, based on what's happened with Chen, that answer is "yes."  Therefore, there could be huge savings if Davis is not cut, but the 2021 season is reduced, as there was this season.

Having said that, it seems to me they could wait and see if next season is delayed at the beginning, like this season was, and then cut him once the season starts.  Once the reduced salary is in place due to the shortened season, his pro-rated salary would be in effect.

I get that, but you can't put a price on the roster spot and how he hinders the development of other players.  Yes, there are less dollars spent on his contract this year and perhaps in 2021 if there's another wacky season but at some point the conversation also needs to include how he hinders the roster moving forward and not just the salary.  As Mountcastle's time gets closer, as Mancini makes it back from cancer, there's no room for him.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

My understanding is that they would have had to pay him in full if he’d been cut before they decided to shorten the season.    That is second hand information from articles like this one.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5500578002

Well I guess that makes sense that they never anticipated a season having much less than the normal 162 games when writing long-term contracts.  Like many things from this strange season I will bet this  will lead to future contracts being written differently.   I guess until they know this Covid doesn't effect the next season that will influence whether or not to cut someone with a large contract.  All that being said with 28 players on the roster he just shouldn't play any longer.

A couple of years ago there might have been some hope for him to recover.  I think he's proven now that isn't going to happen.  So having a couple players who would benefit from the playing time in there instead of him is what this club should be doing.  As Davis is not part of future, the club needs to develop their identity without the "traveling circus" aspect that Davis' presence will continue to provide with this team.  Time to completely part with the past.

27 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

A couple of years ago there might have been some hope for him to recover.  I think he's proven now that isn't going to happen.  So having a couple players who would benefit from the playing time in there instead of him is what this club should be doing.  As Davis is not part of future, the club needs to develop their identity without the "traveling circus" aspect that Davis' presence will continue to provide with this team.  Time to completely part with the past.

I think it's a bit unfair to call Davis a "traveling circus." He isn't a good player - but he does his job and by all accounts is well-liked and respected in the clubhouse.

Just now, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I think it's a bit unfair to call Davis a "traveling circus." He isn't a good player - but he does his job and by all accounts is well-liked and respected in the clubhouse.

Does he?

Was he hired to do what he is doing?

If you were as good at your job as Davis is at his would you stay employed?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I don't think it is because he gets as much or more attention than a club who's actually playing pretty good right now.  I guess what I'm trying to convey, maybe a bit too emphatically is that he is a distraction - and not in a good way to a young club.  It's why I've been in favor form the the beginning and despite the cost to release him.  There's not another team he'd have been in the line-up of over the past two years.  He's been a space filler in the line up and a side show attraction to sports writers.  .136???  Enough is enough already... for him and the team.

Edited by drjohnnyfeva

While that wasn't a horrible at bat for Davis, I simply don't get why you put him in that situation.  Sure, Mullins isn't great with the bat, but Davis is terrible.  I guess hoping that he finally gets a hold of one and ties up the game, but that's just not a good gamble.  

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

While that wasn't a horrible at bat for Davis, I simply don't get why you put him in that situation.  Sure, Mullins isn't great with the bat, but Davis is terrible.  I guess hoping that he finally gets a hold of one and ties up the game, but that's just not a good gamble.  

It would have been a horrific show of a lack of respect for all Davis has done in his career to leave him on the bench in that situation.  He's earned the right to bat there.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Yeah, there is no reason for sending your worst hitter up there as a pinch hitter.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does he?

Was he hired to do what he is doing?

If you were as good at your job as Davis is at his would you stay employed?

Nope, no one else would. 

Actors: it doesn't matter as much how many takes they need to get it right, as long as they do eventually get it right. The ones who don't end up out of the business because the films they're in flop.

Surgeons: they have to do it right, every time, live. Even a small failure rate and they face lawsuits and having to find new employment.

IT workers: they have to meet their deadlines, and when someone says something's on fire, they have to drop everything and fix it immediately. If they can't do either of these things with a very high success rate, they won't stick long in the profession.

Baseball hitters (for positions where defense isn't that hard to get right, or for DH): No one would argue with a batter hitting .300, but .150 is unacceptable. So there's a gradation. Hitters as poor as Davis who are nothing special defensively often end up getting DFA'ed after a few months.

Davis is the equivalent of an actor who single-handedly causes a movie to get bad ratings; a surgeon who only does his surgeries correctly 50% of the time; an IT worker who ignores his deadlines and plays video games all day; and... I really don't have any other hitter to compare him to in MLB, because there's no one out there right now who's quite as bad as him.

When literally every other hitter in MLB is looking down at you going "whew, at least I'm not that bad" and the club STILL won't cut him... there's something wrong there. Which hospital retains a surgeon who's like "Yeah, I accidentally killed 24 people last week by completely botching their surgeries." ??? Which actor is so bad that they're not even funny and has a long and illustrious career? Which IT worker keeps making 6 figs year after year when they don't even know how to open a command prompt on Windows?

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would have been a horrific show of a lack of respect for all Davis has done in his career to leave him on the bench in that situation.  He's earned the right to bat there.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not...I hope it is.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not...I hope it is.

You've been away too long if you can't tell.

I thought I did a pretty nice job with it.

Heh, evidently I was more subtle than I thought.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Haha 1