No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

1) What guideline didnt he follow?

2) So you either are thinking he is faking his condition or you aren't? Which is it?

3) How so? I wouldn't get in the box with a guy throwing 90+ because I cant hit it. And I am more likely to be drilled by the ball than hit it.

1-From what I understand if you don't take the medication that can cause the TUE to not be renewed.  So if he decided to not take his medication that would qualify as not following the guidelines.

This isn't difficult stuff.

2- I'm not suggesting he is faking his condition, I'm saying that MLB has to be vigilant for cases in which someone is faking the condition.

3- I can relate to not being able to see more than a blur if I were in the cage against a ML fastball.  I'd get in there if for some reason I was required to.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hey man, he's basically MAKING the Orioles money by existing on the roster! 

I think I'm the only one that has been asked to do that.  It isn't a whole board thing.

Edited by Can_of_corn
Didn't want to make it sound like I was being forced, I'm not.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

1) I'd say the fact that they changed his medication shows the process is warranted.

2) Didn't you admit that dosages can very widely over time?  Shouldn't MLB stay on top of that?  Doesn't Davis have people that can do this for him so it isn't a personal burden?

I did not suggest that Davis specifically went to a random doctor, you know this and are being disingenuous. 

1) They changed the medication from a regular fast acting tablet to one that is slower dissolving to limit it to a once per day prescription. The class and type of drug and active ingredient is the same.

2) Yes.... But that would be a the discretion of his doctor and not MLB to take care his treatment. I assume that he has an agent and medical people. I dont know why they would do that ...nor do I know why baseball would not allow a player to take his necessary prescription medication.

3) So then what was your point? You obviously said it to make a point! Davis was diagnosed in 2008 and began taking medication. He started having trouble with the exemptions around 2012 and that coincided with his stat spike. So 4 years of ADDERALL with no problem or difficulty getting an exemption while he was a mediocre producing player trying to become a everyday player. Then he breaks out and the difficulties start happening.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-spring-training-0228-20150227-story.html

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's a strategic asset held in reserve.

Nah, the concentration of middle infielders on the right side because of the shift is a potential violation of social distancing guidelines so Hyde is acting out of an abundance of caution to preserve opponents health and the continuation of the season. ?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Roll Tide said:

1) They changed the medication from a regular fast acting tablet to one that is slower dissolving to limit it to a once per day prescription. The class and type of drug and active ingredient is the same.

2) Yes.... But that would be a the discretion of his doctor and not MLB to take care his treatment. I assume that he has an agent and medical people. I dont know why they would do that ...nor do I know why baseball would not allow a player to take his necessary prescription medication.

3) So then what was your point? You obviously said it to make a point! Davis was diagnosed in 2008 and began taking medication. He started having trouble with the exemptions around 2012 and that coincided with his stat spike. So 4 years of ADDERALL with no problem or difficulty getting an exemption while he was a mediocre producing player trying to become a everyday player. Then he breaks out and the difficulties start happening.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-spring-training-0228-20150227-story.html

The point was that MLB has every right to review the TUE on a yearly basis.  These are performance enhancing drugs and if MLB is worried about PED use they need to monitor it.

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Daniel Cabrera hit .009 in his professional career.  1-for-106.  Based on his time with the O's in interleague he'd often just stand there and take three called strikes.  Struck out in 97 of his 126 PAs.

He walked nine times as a pro.  That's kind of how I see a Chris Davis walk.  Sometimes the pitcher just won't hit his spots four times in seven pitches, even if the batter is not trying.

Yeah but you have to have the discipline to not swing - it could be that Hyde through Davis was the better bet there, whereas maybe Mullins would be more eager to swing to try to get a hit to somehow prove he belongs up in the bigs, a walk doesn't really help his case as much.   Davis pitch recognition has actually been fair - I've seen a good chunk of his at bats and he didn't often swing at balls or watch strikes, at least not like he used to.   Just for some reason the contact or placement wasn't there, and also obviously definitely not the power - like against the Nats last weekend after Santander and Severino home-runs, Davis tried the same thing and hit the warning track.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1-From what I understand if you don't take the medication that can cause the TUE to not be renewed.  So if he decided to not take his medication that would qualify as not following the guidelines.

2- I'm not suggesting he is faking his condition, I'm saying that MLB has to be vigilant for cases in which someone is faking the condition.

3- I can relate to not being able to see more than a blur if I were in the cage against a ML fastball.  I'd get in there if for some reason I was required to.

1) what happens if a person that is bipolar doesn't take his medicine? Eventually he wigs out and some really erratic behavior ensues? This patient convinces himself that he doesn't need the medication and stops taking it. I don't think ADHD medicine is very different. I'm sure Chris while be medicated was focused and confident. He stops taking the medication without notifying his doctor or staff. He begins to have problems and discovers the side effects (lack of focus, blurry ball etc). He starts taking it again

ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE

2) I agree but Davis' took the medicine for 4 years before his stats spiked and he became a regular.

ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE

3) Its apples and oranges Corn .... Can you relate to having trouble paying attention to do your job? Can you relate to ready a book and not being able to recall what you read? Its like walking through the motions on auto pilot. You are there but just can stay focused!

#ITOLDYOUTHATYOUCANTRELATE!

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

1) what happens if a person that is bipolar doesn't take his medicine? Eventually he wigs out and some really erratic behavior ensues? This patient convinces himself that he doesn't need the medication and stops taking it. I don't think ADHD medicine is very different. I'm sure Chris while be medicated was focused and confident. He stops taking the medication without notifying his doctor or staff. He begins to have problems and discovers the side effects (lack of focus, blurry ball etc). He starts taking it again

ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE

2) I agree but Davis' took the medicine for 4 years before his stats spiked and he became a regular.

ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE

3) Its apples and oranges Corn .... Can you relate to having trouble paying attention to do your job? Can you relate to ready a book and not being able to recall what you read? Its like walking through the motions on auto pilot. You are there but just can stay focused!

Then he needs to go on the disabled list.  Not repeatedly violate MLB rules.

Yet another reason I wish CD would just retire.....1B is a prime position to give a fringy guy an opportunity to to establish value for the organization. Looking at Nunez, Ruiz, Alberto, Iglesias, Severino, etc......and harkening back to 1989 with Tettleton, Milligan, Devereaux, Ballard, etc., this phase in a rebuild offers the chance to develop value through opportunity that competing organizations don't have. Particularly LH power hitters at Camden Yards. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE

ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE

Why are we rehashing all this now?   In 2015 Davis was granted a TUE for Vyvanse and posted a .923 OPS.    Apparently that drug worked for him just fine, and we’ve never heard that he’s not allowed to take that anymore.   The source of his problems lie elsewhere.    

Now, if you’re just having an academic discussion of what happened in 2014, fine, but it’s not really relevant to today.   

• Upvote 1