No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Would he be okay in the Atlantic League?  Last year Lew Ford hit .303 with a .768 OPS there, and he was 42.  So maybe. 

You had to mention L*w F**d?  Seriously?  Doesn't that summon up some demon curse from the pits of hell?  Aren't we dealing with enough already!?!  xD

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

Is it the money?  Again, surely not.  He already has multi-generational wealth for his family... with sound investing, the Davis line will be set for centuries just from what he's already made.   In addition, as others have mentioned, if he decided to call it quits, the Orioles would be very agreeable with a buyout at this point... if the team could save some percentage of the guaranteed money AND free up a roster spot from a negative production player, that would be a victory.  So he wouldn't even be out all of the remaining money.

Sorry but this argument just doesn't hold water.  People just don't give up more money because they simply have enough.  Yes it is more than most need but that isn't for you are I to say.  In his mind he has earned that money in the past when he was getting less because he couldn't go to another team.  That is how his agent thinks and the players association. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Sorry but this argument just doesn't hold water.  People just don't give up more money because they simply have enough.  Yes it is more than most need but that isn't for you are I to say.  In his mind he has earned that money in the past when he was getting less because he couldn't go to another team.  That is how his agent thinks and the players association. 

That's right. They have to have ALL the money. Gotta afford all those huge mansions and Bugatti Veyrons!

7 minutes ago, accinfo said:

You're missing the main part of my point. 

If he decided to hang up the cleats tomorrow and opened up the process by telling the Orioles he was open to negotiating a buyout, in the end, he could probably get 75% or more of the money he's owed and give up that small (in comparison to the rest of the contract) portion in exchange for being able to leave his job at that very moment.  Again, the money is a non-issue.

Also, he's not going to care what the player's association or his agent thinks because, let's be honest, he's probably never playing pro ball again once he ends this current deal.   

5 hours ago, accinfo said:

I agree with your point .... but 

1) he’s already said it’s not fair to the other players, fans, and organization.

2) he’s blamed the severe weight loss on stress

3) he’s admitted to having a family conversation about retirement 

4) I’m sure Chris is devastated with his collapse

5) and he saiid there will be another end of season decision 

I was worried about a .200-.225 average and 15-20 homerun season giving him hope.

At this point, ownership is best to wait and see how it goes. If he plays once a week and performs like today it’s going to become very difficult for him to deal with it

I think Chris is a pretty proud guy and I think he is nearing his breaking point.

Right  now I think he’s still an 11 WAR player career. In 2+ years he might be close to negative. I don’t think he wants that

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You should experience his mom at a game.  She's going to stand at the end of the dugout and let Hyde have it every game her boy isn't in the lineup.  Once quarantine is over.  Now it's just emails.  And Skype.  And Zoom.  And Teams.  Texts.  Facebook messenger.  Lots of Facebook messenger.

Is her name Karen?

• Upvote 1

My mind starts churning in strange ways on hypotheticals.  I want to know what level Davis would have to be dropped to in order to be a productive player.

AA?  I don't think so.  You take a good player in AA and they're still usually not terrible in the majors.  I think he'd struggle to OPS .700 for the Baysox.

Would he be okay in the Atlantic League?  Last year Lew Ford hit .303 with a .768 OPS there, and he was 42.  So maybe. 

I think if he went to Japan he'd still be bad.  Korea... I don't know, but probably still not actually productive.

You could send him to the Mexico City Red Devils, the Diablo Rojos, and he might be adequate.  They're at 7300' in altitude and they score six or seven runs a game.  He could probably OPS .800 there, which might be 12th on the team, but would seem respectable.

He'd probably be a big star in the Pecos League.  The Tuscon team is scoring almost 10 runs a game and the quality of play can't be as good as a decent college league.

Yeah, but he would still have to make contact with the ball. Warning track power is one thing but not being able to get the bat on the ball is an insurmountable problem.

I'm a little worried about Adam.  He's OPSing under .700 for Orix, but is walking at about twice his normal rate.  That's sometimes a sign of reactions slowing down and just not swinging at stuff because the brain doesn't get there in time.  It's not uncommon to have a late career walk spike just before it's all over.

Speaking of reactions slowing down: Image for post

Not to belabor the point and post this old photo yet again, but he looks asleep on his feet. The body is turned on but the brain is turned off. I wonder whether a change to his medication would help. Couldn't hurt, could it? And I am not being mean-spirited by suggesting it.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Yeah, but he would still have to make contact with the ball. Warning track power is one thing but not being able to get the bat on the ball is an insurmountable problem.

At that altitude with roughly AA pitching he'd see fewer 96 mph fastballs and the breaking stuff won't have any bite.  The Mexican League K rate was 17% compared to 23% in the majors.  I'm guessing Davis' rate would go from 40% (in '19) to under 30%.  And he could still hit a ball a looong way in a city that's 2000' higher than Denver.

2 minutes ago, Chuck A said:

I would think that a guy with any pride in himself would just walk away instead of being an anchor to his team, just collecting a guaranteed paycheck for ZERO production.

That is a lot of money to walk away from.  I can also see if hard for a prideful person to admit to themselves that they are an anchor to the team.

10 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Speaking of reactions slowing down: Image for post

Not to belabor the point and post this old photo yet again, but he looks asleep on his feet. The body is turned on but the brain is turned off. I wonder whether a change to his medication would help. Couldn't hurt, could it? And I am not being mean-spirited by suggesting it.

ADHD.......He’s not even looking in the direction of the pitcher. Honestly that’s extremely dangerous for Chris.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is a lot of money to walk away from.  I can also see if hard for a prideful person to admit to themselves that they are an anchor to the team.

Right now he is hitting like a pitcher that doesn’t hit well though.  At some point that has to hit home, right?

• Upvote 1