Gary Thorne is Back

Can_of_corn

5 minutes ago, weams said:

It sounds like that may be up in the air. 

That what it sounds like, and honestly, we the fans, do not need to know every single detail about our beloved sports team. IMO

Its not like the details of that contract is made public, like the ball player's contracts.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Sad that it's only for remote parts. So far the Zooms have had bad audio and awkward interruptions with the other commentators because of the slight delay.

Palmer's have been good. And last multiple innings. It's better than no Gary. :)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, eddie83 said:

They said in February he was back. 

When he wasn’t back once MLB started back up it was never mentioned about it being over his contract. 

Might have been a dispute about who bore the risk of the season being shortened.   That wouldn’t have been an issue in February when they said he was back.   

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Might have been a dispute about who bore the risk of the season being shortened.   That wouldn’t have been an issue in February when they said he was back.   

Right but when it was announced the season started back up it was said due to age reasons why some weren’t back on. 

Not saying they would want to promote it but they kept the real reason hidden. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Right but when it was announced the season started back up it was said due to age reasons why some weren’t back on. 

Not saying they would want to promote it but they kept the real reason hidden. 

Said by whom?   I read some speculation on this board, but certainly didn’t see any team source saying it was for any particular reason.   In fact, I don’t know that either the team or MASN made any statement at all.    The news of this broke in some Dan Connolly tweets from an unnamed source that gave no explanation of why Thorne was out.   

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Said by whom?   I read some speculation on this board, but certainly didn’t see any team source saying it was for any particular reason.   In fact, I don’t know that either the team or MASN made any statement at all.    The news of this broke in some Dan Connolly tweets from an unnamed source that gave no explanation of why Thorne was out.   

Said right here. https://theathletic.com/1936440/2020/07/18/gary-thorne-off-orioles-broadcasts-in-2020-jim-palmer-working-off-site-only/?redirected=1

Paraphrasing, 

Multiple sources indicate Palmer, Thorne, Davis, Hunter and Dempsey are considered by ownership to be high risk for covid.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Said right here. https://theathletic.com/1936440/2020/07/18/gary-thorne-off-orioles-broadcasts-in-2020-jim-palmer-working-off-site-only/?redirected=1

Paraphrasing, 

Multiple sources indicate Palmer, Thorne, Davis, Hunter and Dempsey are considered by ownership to be high risk for covid.

Which is weird considering Scott Garceau (born 1951) is only a couple years younger than Dempsey (born 1949) if Google is to be believed. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Paraphrasing, 

Thanks.   I don’t subscribe to the Athletic and hadn’t seen a reference to that before. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Which is weird considering Scott Garceau (born 1951) is only a couple years younger than Dempsey (born 1949) if Google is to be believed. 

Garceau hadn't been an Orioles broadcaster for 20+ years and potentially relishes the opportunity, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was less risk averse than the more established guys.