14-16 at the midpoint

Frobby

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It has them start with a weaker part of the lineup and so maybe you can stick with them for a few weak batters the third time through the lineup.   

So one more batter maybe?

I mean I'm fine with the opener strategy but I don't think it solves the issue with the starters.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The long term piece is AR.   But Severino and Sisco allow Elias not to rush AR.   Holaday  and Wynns will not even be on the 40 man roster come December.

Holaday is a serviceable backup.  He could suffice if Elias wanted to trade Severino or Sisco.

Afterall we are only talking until June 2022.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The long term piece is AR.   But Severino and Sisco allow Elias not to rush AR.   Holaday  and Wynns will not even be on the 40 man roster come December.

If the presence or absence Sisco and Severino causes Mike Elias to alter his approach to promoting our most prized prospect since Matt Wieters, then this re-build is probably already doomed.

Personally I don't think Severino vs. no Severino makes an ounce of difference in Adley's promotions timeline.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

That’s interesting. In the later innings, Hyde seems more aware of the 3-batter rule and seems to favor specific matchups, but it sure looks like he’s letting his starters linger too long. So his bullpen use might be ok, but his starter usage is not. If he had a real bullpen and a real 162-game season, he’d be at sea.

Honstly Philip I think you just want to see an unrealistically quick hook.

Our starters are averaging 4.3 innings per start and you think they are going too long over the course of the season.

Yes, sometimes they get in trouble and get knocked out.   But you've got to at least try to get 4+ out of a starter if he isn't totally being blasted.   Even with a 28 man roster relievers aren't an infinite resource.

Every time a starter gives up a couple runs in his final inning you are in the game thread saying he should be yanked.   When a starter does go 4 or 5 and gets out of a jam in the 4th you never have a complaint.   And of course you always assume that the reliever would have done better, which is inherently untrue.   The reliever you bring in when a starter is getting yanked as early as you like is usually not one of your top 4 or 5 guys in the pen and he might do just as bad.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Yes that’s probably true. So what?

Sisco/Holaday/Wynns also allow Mike to not rush AR.

Not caring about results at the MLB level allows Mike to not rush AR, and use <whoever> at catcher.

It's ice that we have two productive offensive catchers this year but it is a luxury.   

I don't think the presense of Holaday or Wynns has any affect whatsoever on Rutschman's ETA.   If they vanished into thin air, perhaps sent to the cornfield by that nasty little boy on the Twilight Zone, Elias would shake a tree and find a couple AAAA Cs somewhere and Rutschman would still come to the majors on whatever magic date Elias has in his head.

2 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

If the presence or absence Sisco and Severino causes Mike Elias to alter his approach to promoting our most prized prospect since Matt Wieters, then this re-build is probably already doomed.

Personally I don't think Severino vs. no Severino makes an ounce of difference in Adley's promotions timeline.

You have it backwards.   Severino and Sisco are with the O's until AR is ready.  Its about ARs development.