Mullins and DJ Stewart

accinfo

Ok I along with most people here didn't think Cedric Mullins or DJ Stewart were long-term answers for the Orioles but I am not sure now.  I thought Mullins was at best a 4th outfielder but at least against right-handed pitching he looks like he may be able to hit in the majors.  Maybe he should re-think being a switch hitter but he has looked good for a decent stretch now.  Same with DJ Stewart.  Frobby said he was glad he was having a moment but that moment has had some length to it.  I just like the fact that he can draw a walk.  Maybe he is just like Nunez and he is very streaky but he just  looks like he has figured a few things out. 

2 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Ok I along with most people here didn't think Cedric Mullins or DJ Stewart were long-term answers for the Orioles but I am not sure now.  I thought Mullins was at best a 4th outfielder but at least against right-handed pitching he looks like he may be able to hit in the majors.  Maybe they he should re-think being a switch hitter but he has looked good for a decent stretch now.  Same with DJ Stewart.  Frobby said he was glad he was having a moment but that moment has had some length to it.  I just like the fact that he can draw a walk.  Maybe he is just like Nunez and he is very streaky but he just  looks like he has figured a few things out. 

I like the walks.

I also like the dongs.

They both look like big-leaguers to me, just a few short weeks after they both looked like AAAA players.

I think they're both worth a spot, but I can't decide if either of them deserve every-day status. Of the two, it's starting to look like DJ has a combination of power and batting eye that you just can't ignore. Keep throwing him out there and see what happens. Mullins seems like a guy you'd love to have on your bench as long as he stays cheap.

• Upvote 1

Mullins can't hit lefties as a right handed batter, the disparity in the stats between LHP as RHB and RHP as LHB are pretty significant.  

I'd be curious to know if he can hit lefties as a lefthanded batter.  If so, he might be able to carve out time as an every day player.  I still think he's a 4th outfielder, though.  But not a bad 4th outfielder to have.

DJ Stewart might be coming around, though.  I like the patience at the plate, too.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm getting a Luke Scott vibe from DJ Stewart. Good plate discipline and extremely streaky.

I like Mullins' game a lot. I think he'll have a career as a second-division starting outfielder like David Lough or Craig Gentry

The Luke Scott comp is interesting.   I’ve never thought of Stewart as having Scott’s raw power, but maybe he’s just coming into his own in that regard.   He had a very good ISO at Norfolk last year, too.    

I think Mullins is a better hitter than Lough.     Similar defender, though Lough had a better arm.   Gentry was a better OBP guy than Mullins, but I think Mullins has a bit more power.