Crazysilver03

Yes

Alexei

ACab

They wouldn't want Greene and his contract

Yes

Don't want his contract

Possible but doubt it

Still have Gonzalez under contract, right? Spend more money? Doubt it.

Potentially.

Nah...They will either re-sign Furcal or go internal I would think

Maybe.

Indians are going to leave ACab at 2B. Twins flirted with taking on some payroll this season, and at $6.5 he wouldn't kill them, the extension is the sticking point there. Nationals will start spending money soon, don't be surprised. Never know with the Cubs. I think they do still have AGonz, but could send him back in the deal on the last year of the deal, maybe eat a bit of cash. Cards have nothing. I think you are right with LAD. Giants, who knows.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indians are going to leave ACab at 2B. Twins flirted with taking on some payroll this season, and at $6.5 he wouldn't kill them, the extension is the sticking point there. Nationals will start spending money soon, don't be surprised. Never know with the Cubs. I think they do still have AGonz, but could send him back in the deal on the last year of the deal, maybe eat a bit of cash. Cards have nothing. I think you are right with LAD. Giants, who knows.

Maybe for next year, because Peralta will still be at short. However, Eric Wedge has been quoted as saying eventually they feel Peralta will move to third, at which time they will shift Cabrera to short.

The Nationals already spent money to extend Cristian Guzman, they don't need a shortstop.

Agreed the Twins could be in play, but I strongly doubt the Cubs go away from Theriot after he hit .300 and how much Piniella and Hendry love the guy.

If you can get Greene for a couple guys who figure to most likely end up in the BP, then you have to do it. I wonder if Brian Burres would be of interest?

Not to change the subject, but what's Bobby Crosby's status with the A's? Is he worth a look? I know Beane has always liked Hayden Penn. Any interest in Crosby?

Maybe for next year, because Peralta will still be at short. However, Eric Wedge has been quoted as saying eventually they feel Peralta will move to third, at which time they will shift Cabrera to short.

The Nationals already spent money to extend Cristian Guzman, they don't need a shortstop.

Agreed the Twins could be in play, but I strongly doubt the Cubs go away from Theriot after he hit .300 and how much Piniella and Hendry love the guy.

Forgot about Guzman, agree on Theriot, but you never know with those crazy Cubbies, but the Indians will shift around whatever they can find. If they can get a SS they will move Peralta to 3B and leave ACab there, if they get a 2B they will go with that shift. I don't see anything that says they are confident enough in Barfield to make that move now, and with them inquiring on BRob, that says they are looking to upgrade on of the MINF spots. Greene would be cheaper and younger (by a hair) than BRob although they probably don't need the SLG% of Greene, you have to look at costs to acquire too.

Jays

O's

White Sox Rameriz

Indians (Trying to move Peralta)ACab

Twins Tolbert, Harris, Punto

Tigers

Nationals Guzman

Cubs (love Greene)Theriot Cedeno

Reds Keppinger, Cabrera

Cards

Dodgers (probably fill from within)DeJesus, Furcal(re sign) Hu[/b

Giants Buriss

Anything else I can help you with?

P.S. someone else made a better more thorough list a few pages back.

And OBP is great if you are Billy Beane and live solely by it, or need that particular attribute in your lineup, but OBP does not a team make. You want a nice blend of talent, OBP guys, SLG guys, SB guys...etc. While I'm not discounting Izturis, I wouldn't mind him either, on a team that is lacking SLG %, Greene could help in that area.

The O's would be happy to have any of these guys. They are all preferable to a one year rental of a questionable SS. OBP is the single most important offensive stat especially from a defensive intensive position. I think you might need a little help.:)

The O's would be happy to have any of these guys. They are all preferable to a one year rental of a questionable SS. OBP is the single most important offensive stat especially from a defensive intensive position. I think you might need a little help.:)

You are right, the O's would be happy to have any, but we are bottom of the barrel, and other teams, not so much. None of the Twins options are better than Greene, the CHW will try Ramirez and see in ST, the Tribe like I said before it depends on if it is easier to get a SS or a 2B, the Cubs should be good, but you can never tell with them, they have flirted with Greene for 2 years. The LAD should fill from within, or resign Furcal, but that just takes another available SS off the market.

So you still have STL, DET, O's, TOR, MIN, and others. Not to mention whatever teams have injury issues, and the ones that look set, but decide to upgrade like CHW did last year.

You are right, the O's would be happy to have any, but we are bottom of the barrel, and other teams, not so much. None of the Twins options are better than Greene, the CHW will try Ramirez and see in ST, the Tribe like I said before it depends on if it is easier to get a SS or a 2B, the Cubs should be good, but you can never tell with them, they have flirted with Greene for 2 years. The LAD should fill from within, or resign Furcal, but that just takes another available SS off the market.

So you still have STL, DET, O's, TOR, MIN, and others. Not to mention whatever teams have injury issues, and the ones that look set, but decide to upgrade like CHW did last year.

Right 5 teams. Not 9 or 10. And the Twins wouldn't spend the money on him. You are over rating Greene's value. You have no guarantee he would extend nor any guarantee you would want him too extend. He is a one year gamble. IMO the O's are about the only team that might be willing to take that bet given what they have in house. He has clubhouse issues, a terrible carer OBP, a huge drop off defensively as well as offensively. My point is that the O's are going to have to trade for or draft their long term SS solution and they will need time to let them develop in the MiL. A ML ready prospect would cost them too much in pitching.

Right 5 teams. Not 9 or 10. And the Twins wouldn't spend the money on him. You are over rating Greene's value. You have no guarantee he would extend nor any guarantee you would want him too extend. He is a one year gamble. IMO the O's are about the only team that might be willing to take that bet given what they have in house. He has clubhouse issues, a terrible carer OBP, a huge drop off defensively as well as offensively. My point is that the O's are going to have to trade for or draft their long term SS solution and they will need time to let them develop in the MiL. A ML ready prospect would cost them too much in pitching.

Wait...what? No one said he wasn't a gamble, but how much of a gamble is it when you really have nothing else to lose at the position? Who said he had clubhouse issues? News to me. Again, with the OBP, people read Moneyball and then decide that this is the only thing that should be used to measure baseball players, there is so much more than that. A huge drop off defensively? He had an off season in 07 and then this year his stats went right back to where he was in 06 which was in the top 10.

Wait...what? No one said he wasn't a gamble, but how much of a gamble is it when you really have nothing else to lose at the position? Who said he had clubhouse issues? News to me. Again, with the OBP, people read Moneyball and then decide that this is the only thing that should be used to measure baseball players, there is so much more than that. A huge drop off defensively? He had an off season in 07 and then this year his stats went right back to where he was in 06 which was in the top 10.
Ask Professor Drungo to tell you about Jaun Pierre and Tony Batista. According to the Fielding Bible Greene is a -4 down from a +7 in '07.

Ask Professor Drungo to tell you about Jaun Pierre and Tony Batista. According to the Fielding Bible Greene is a -4 down from a +7 in '07.

Yeah, sorry, I was looking at the wrong year, it was this year, not 07 where he had a down year, but still, even with his down year, he finished better than Jose Reyes. The past 2 years he was in the top 7 or 8 in all of baseball. So because a guy has one down season you are ready to say he's worth a bag of baseballs and they should be so lucky we would take him off of their hands?

I'm not saying OBP is not important in baseball, but it is not the only statistic you need to have a successful team. Of course in theory if hitters 1-9 had a high OBP every game you would score a lot of runs in the small ball sort of way, but would you take a team 1-9 full of leadoff hitters or would you want some power, speed, and intangibles sprinkled in? Would turn Ryan Howard away because he strikes out too much and doesn't walk enough? There are players that are better at different statistics, and a blend of all of them will give you a successful team. Greene is never going to be a huge OBP guy, but he will be a good SLG guy from a position that normally doesn't provide that, so you balance that out with an OBP guy from another position. Or you can look at OPS where Greene has a career .733 including this past horrible year, whereas Hardy has a career .777 and Reyes a career .773, not that far off considering the season he just had.

Yeah, sorry, I was looking at the wrong year, it was this year, not 07 where he had a down year, but still, even with his down year, he finished better than Jose Reyes. The past 2 years he was in the top 7 or 8 in all of baseball. So because a guy has one down season you are ready to say he's worth a bag of baseballs and they should be so lucky we would take him off of their hands?

I'm not saying OBP is not important in baseball, but it is not the only statistic you need to have a successful team. Of course in theory if hitters 1-9 had a high OBP every game you would score a lot of runs in the small ball sort of way, but would you take a team 1-9 full of leadoff hitters or would you want some power, speed, and intangibles sprinkled in? Would turn Ryan Howard away because he strikes out too much and doesn't walk enough? There are players that are better at different statistics, and a blend of all of them will give you a successful team. Greene is never going to be a huge OBP guy, but he will be a good SLG guy from a position that normally doesn't provide that, so you balance that out with an OBP guy from another position. Or you can look at OPS where Greene has a career .733 including this past horrible year, whereas Hardy has a career .777 and Reyes a career .773, not that far off considering the season he just had.

I would win more games with 9 BRobs than 9 Howards.

I agree with this. It would be real nice to have Greene in the 6 or seven hole able to drive some guys in. The top 4 spots in the lineup this year did a good job setting the table. He coud thrive here

San Diego's grievance against Khalil Greene won't be heard until spring, according to the San Diego Union Tribune:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081004/news_1s4khalil.html

I don't see Greene "being forced out of San Diego."

Many Padre fans, however, would gladly pack Greene's bags:

http://forum.signonsandiego.com/showthread.php?t=89077

San Diego's grievance against Khalil Greene won't be heard until spring, according to the San Diego Union Tribune:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081004/news_1s4khalil.html

I don't see Greene "being forced out of San Diego."

Many Padre fans, however, would gladly pack Greene's bags:

http://forum.signonsandiego.com/showthread.php?t=89077

Orioles fans would love to take him in I'm sure. Those fans don't understand how good they have it. Had SD ownership decided to make a ballpark that they could actually score runs in, Greene might have done a little better there. They really need to bring the fences in at PETCO...

Archived