The 2021 Bullpen

sportsfan8703

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

His WHIP is worrisome.  Also, he has allowed 10 of 17 inherited runners to score, which is awful.   I’ll say this, a lot of his inherited runners came in very tough situations — twice he entered a game with the bases loaded and nobody out.    It would be miraculous if none of those runners had scored.    But all six of them did score, and that ain’t good.  

Yeah, not great. But otherwise he's done a decent job of eating the middle innings, and as we well know as O's fans, we could do a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT worse with that particular relief role. lol 

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2020 at 4:47 PM, Frobby said:

His WHIP is worrisome.  Also, he has allowed 10 of 17 inherited runners to score, which is awful.   I’ll say this, a lot of his inherited runners came in very tough situations — twice he entered a game with the bases loaded and nobody out.    It would be miraculous if none of those runners had scored.    But all six of them did score, and that ain’t good.  

I don’t really like Lakins either.  He doesn’t miss a ton of bats (he’s adequate but not great, especially nowadays) and he doesn’t throw a lot of strikes.  His BB rate is high and his K rate is ok this year but wasn’t good in Boston.

His FIP is over a run higher than his ERA and his xFIp is over 5.  His BABiP is a bit unlucky.

Overall, he stands a chance to be your 6th-8th guy in your pen.  I don’t have a problem with him coming to camp to see how he looks vs other players.  I do have a problem penciling him into the 2021 pen right now.  He’s not that type of player.

End of the day, he’s very likely a dime a dozen type guy who won’t really help you that much but he can serve a role on a good team.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Can we stop talking about Phillips now, please?

Maybe, but maybe not for the reason you are thinking.  Phillips almost needed elbow surgery in March.  But a 2nd opinion kept him from pursuing that route.   He walked off the mound with a sore elbow last night.   If the injury is serious he may be in for a long rehab.

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe, but maybe not for the reason you are thinking.  Phillips almost needed elbow surgery in March.  But a 2nd opinion kept him from pursuing that route.   He walked off the mound with a sore elbow last night.   If the injury is serious he may be in for a long rehab.

Really too bad for him. For a guy who was borderline to begin with, who knows if he will get another shot. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Well, that takes care of that, so now we can shift gears a wee bit

• 2 months later...

Here’s a comparison of the 2019 and 2020 bullpens.   Due to the shortened 2020 season, I’m focusing on rate stats:

2019: 5.79 ERA, 1.514 WHIP, 8.6 K/9, 2.12 K/BB, 4.04 IP/game, 50% save rate, 38% inherited runners scored, 

2020: 3.90 ERA, 1.272 WHIP, 8.8 K/9, 2.27 K/BB,  4.19 IP/game, 61% save rate, 32% inherited runners scored

Overall, a very solid improvement in every area.  We had a solidly average bullpen in 2020.    

As an aside, in the course of looking at these stats I noticed that the Kansas City Royals had a 95% save rate last year (19/20) despite the fact that their bullpen ERA was a decent but not great 3.84.     That’s rather astounding, and unlikely to be repeated.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a comparison of the 2019 and 2020 bullpens.   Due to the shortened 2020 season, I’m focusing on rate stats:

2019: 5.79 ERA, 1.514 WHIP, 8.6 K/9, 2.12 K/BB, 4.04 IP/game, 50% save rate, 38% inherited runners scored, 

2020: 3.90 ERA, 1.272 WHIP, 8.8 K/9, 2.27 K/BB,  4.19 IP/game, 61% save rate, 32% inherited runners scored

Overall, a very solid improvement in every area.  We had a solidly average bullpen in 2020.    

As an aside, in the course of looking at these stats I noticed that the Kansas City Royals had a 95% save rate last year (19/20) despite the fact that their bullpen ERA was a decent but not great 3.84.     That’s rather astounding, and unlikely to be repeated.   

As a group the O's relievers that are returning look like they could be better in 2021.   Harvey,  Scott, Tate, Fry, Lakins, Valdez, Eshelman, Armstrong seem set to have good years.  The addition of Mattson could help.  Sulser will have to do better to stay in the majors.  They may get some help later in the season from Wells and Lowther if those two are not in the rotation.  I feel better about the relievers than the rotation at this point.

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As a group the O's relievers that are returning look like they could be better in 2021.   Harvey,  Scott, Tate, Fry, Lakins, Valdez, Eshelman, Armstrong seem set to have good years.  The addition of Mattson could help.  Sulser will have to do better to stay in the majors.  They may get some help later in the season from Wells and Lowther if those two are not in the rotation.  I feel better about the relievers than the rotation at this point.

That is only rational.    Our relievers had a 3.90 ERA (league average 4.31) while the starters had a 5.09 ERA (league average 4.52).   That said, the rotation is more interesting to talk about.    I’m excited to see how Kremer and Akin fare over an entire season, whether Means can build on his strong finish, who fills the fifth spot and who from the minors bubbles up as the year progresses.   

But to stay on topic, I feel our bullpen has a bunch of reasonably competent guys but lacks the 1-2 dominant guys you’d really like at the back end.    Hyde did a nice job of mixing and matching last year, and maybe a couple of our younger guys will take another step forward next year the way that relievers like Jim Johnson and Zack Britton once did.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That is only rational.    Our relievers had a 3.90 ERA (league average 4.31) while the starters had a 5.09 ERA (league average 4.52).   That said, the rotation is more interesting to talk about.    I’m excited to see how Kremer and Akin fare over an entire season, whether Means can build on his strong finish, who fills the fifth spot and who from the minors bubbles up as the year progresses.   

But to stay on topic, I feel our bullpen has a bunch of reasonably competent guys but lacks the 1-2 dominant guys you’d really like at the back end.    Hyde did a nice job of mixing and matching last year, and maybe a couple of our younger guys will take another step forward next year the way that relievers like Jim Johnson and Zack Britton once did.   

Yes, there are three interesting starters. Not 5 or 6 or 7.   Cobb is oft injured.  The #5 is probably a veteran brought in.   We have to see if Baumann is injured and how he does at AAA.  Lowther and Wells right now seem like back end guys that are half a season away.

I agree someone has to step up as a closer or the O's will need to acquire one.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Was it 2012 when our rotation was boring and perfect?

Troy Patton, Pedro Strop, Darren o’Day and then Johnson. Boring as watching paint dry, but incredibly reliable. I don’t even remember who were the other guys in the bullpen, because who needed them?

The bullpen had a great run from 2012-16, especially in the even numbered years.

• 4 months later...