Share your Farewells to the 2020 season

HowAboutThat

13 hours ago, Philip said:

Paul Simon is a genius. His lyrics are, as a group, the deepest ever written in the rock genre.

Say wha?  @Can_of_corn will argue but isn't Paul more alt-pop?  I guess mellow rock but I would water down his genre choice.  (Where have you gone Joe Di, a nation (?) lifts its lonely eyes to you - yuchh).  He has written some nice ditties though.  I was walking on Seventh Avenue in NYC once and remembered his line, "... a come-on from the whores on 7th Ave.").  I like many of the lines from "An American Tune"

"Many's the time I've been mistaken and many times confused

Yes, and often often felt forsaken and certainly misused "

I’m just happy we got even a little bit of baseball. But this has been a year of constant reminders that what doesn’t feel normal will eventually feel normal. The first few games were like the twilight zone. Now when I see pictures of sold out baseball stadiums I feel unease and shock at how many people are crammed together...same goes for concerts/festivals/massive orgies

6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Say wha?  @Can_of_corn will argue but isn't Paul more alt-pop?  I guess mellow rock but I would water down his genre choice.  (Where have you gone Joe Di, a nation (?) lifts its lonely eyes to you - yuchh).  He has written some nice ditties though.  I was walking on Seventh Avenue in NYC once and remembered his line, "... a come-on from the whores on 7th Ave.").

Yes that’s “The Boxer” great great song but my favorite line is “...a pocket full of mumbles; such are promises.”

I’m not really up on the sub genres. I don’t think Simon, or Simon & Garfunkel, were rock, I’d call them quasi-folk, or something like that, like John Denver or Gordon Lightfoot. I was lazy and just used the first term that came to mind.

somebody needs to make a family tree of music styles. Wherever Simon is, his lyrics are the best on the branch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’m just happy we got even a little bit of baseball. But this has been a year of constant reminders that what doesn’t feel normal will eventually feel normal. The first few games were like the twilight zone. Now when I see pictures of sold out baseball stadiums I feel unease and shock at how many people are crammed together...same goes for concerts/festivals/massive orgies

I wonder what we will permanently leave behind when this crisis is over.

Isaac Asimov tossed off a short story called “the fun they had” which I remember 40 years after reading it, about future education where kids remain at home and are taught by education robots. The children ask about education in the past and are shocked to learn that they went to dedicated teaching buildings with human teachers.

the children lament not having the same chance To socialize with friends and be in groups for large activities, and talk about “the fun they had.”
I wonder how much of that we will lose...

Its a great story...and eerily prescient.

If Asimov were alive today, he would say,”of course.” Because he was rather proud of himself.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well you've never listened to Pantera.

I would say that is a correct statement. I’ve spent my life listening to about 95% classical, but when I listen in on classical, I listen to 60s folk, art rock like Pink Floyd or Alan Parsons, at one time I had a shameful love for ABBA, loved Kansas and Styx and actually bought most of their albums.

But no Pantera... shocking, I know.

There are some incredibly profound lyrics on Kansas’ “ point of no return“ album

Edited by Philip