Nunez DFA

VaBird1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol...you are arguing a point no one is making and yet I’m defeated?  lol. Keep drinking!

Your "point" effectively boils down to "I know better than every single Major League front office because I would have happily paid Renato Nunez's arbitration price tag when literally none of those 30 MLB FOs were willing to do so."
Will someone somewhere give him a Major League contract that is worth more than the league minimum in free agency as you (tangentially) claim? Maybe, maybe not, but that isn't really pertinent to the subject of whether or not the Orioles should have DFA'd him due to his projected arbitration cost relative to his value (or lack thereof) to the team.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Your "point" effectively boils down to "I know better than every single Major League front office because I would have happily paid Renato Nunez's arbitration price tag when literally none of those 30 MLB FOs were willing to do so."
Will someone somewhere give him a Major League contract that is worth more than the league minimum in free agency as you (tangentially) claim? Maybe, maybe not, but that isn't really pertinent to the subject of whether or not the Orioles should have DFA'd him due to his projected arbitration cost relative to his value (or lack thereof) to the team.  

No, that’s not my point.  Try to keep up. 

9 hours ago, Philip said:

I read your comment about Shaw with great interest, I was also wondering why they would get rid of Nunez, and then bring on board someone exactly like Nunez... Who is also older, ha ha.

I agree with the poster who said that Shaw and Nunez aren't necessarily related, that is the team didn't "choose" Shaw over Nunez, they simply decided they didnt want to pay an amount incremental to the minimum for Nunez, and also claimed Shaw.

That said, for those who keep calling them the same player, Shaw is multiples cheaper than Nunez, if he even makes the ML roster (albeit small dollars overall). Also, he's a lefty. Our logjam at 1B/DH/LF is a lot of righty bats outside of Davis and Stewart. A cheaper significantly player who has a similar skillset, but hits from the left side of the dish, seems like a more efficient use of resources TBH, if one even grants that the transactions are related.

The team isn't in pure slash mode, which appears to be a concern. They picked up Iglesias's option as it presented positive value to the team. Nunez seems like a good place to trim payroll during the rebuild years as long as their is an understanding that ownership will be willing to reinvest when the team is competitive, something that recent O's history seems to show as true

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I agree with the poster who said that Shaw and Nunez aren't necessarily related, that is the team didn't "choose" Shaw over Nunez, they simply decided they didnt want to pay an amount incremental to the minimum for Nunez, and also claimed Shaw.

Yeah, I think the odds no more than 50/50 that Shaw even makes it through the off-season on the 40-man roster, let alone ever plays for the team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Granted those are the real results, but I would bet teams evaluate DH candidates against a higher replacement (or position average) level baseline.

It's a known known that the DH Penalty is real, yet despite the handful of Cruz/Yordan type guys, most teams cycle their regulars there and deem it a partial rest day.  

Half the teams do, and half don’t, as I documented yesterday.   The O’s didn’t have a primary DH this year; last year they did.   It just depends on a team’s personnel at the time.