White Sox looking for a LH OFer

Sports Guy

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It depends on how the player is perceived vs. how he performs.    I can think of lots of players who had more trade value later compared to earlier because they proved themselves as excellent players, whereas earlier in their career their potential was unrealized.   

Sure that happens.  I expect we both understand the concepts here.  Of course, the flip side of your point, conceptually, is that the later a player develops into a quality producer, the closer to free agency and the less trade value a player may have - as the Os experienced when dealing and trading JJohnson closer - since the arb cost increases and the acquisition target would be under team control of the acquiring team for fewer years.

End of day, however, the "peak" excess value is usually earlier in the career when a star player is producing 2+ war at the league minimum.  

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

So I wonder if there is any real interest in Santander and if Elias is ready to listen on him.

I think there is definitely interest.  Doesn’t make sense that there isn’t.  Doesn’t mean the interest is which to warrant a trade but again, I suspect a good deal could be found.

37 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

End of day, however, the "peak" excess value is usually earlier in the career when a star player is producing 2+ war at the league minimum. 

That’s an excellent rule of thumb. However, wouldn’t it also stand to reason that the younger a player reaches that plateau, the more likely it is that he will surpass it while still being inexpensive?

And therefore he would be more valuable to his current club, who would have to replace that inexpensive excellence for those years?