MLB Season likely delayed again so players can get vaccinated before reporting

Roll Tide

The goal in delaying the season is to ensure every player can be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to meeting for spring training. Considering the vaccine is just rolling out now around the country and the normal start of spring training is less than two months away it seems like a pipe dream to hope for those things to line up favorably.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2020/12/16/22178004/baltimore-orioles-mlb-trade-rumors-free-agents-offseason-delay-2020

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would think that the contracts they signed would include language that would force the issue.

Yes, employers can require their employees to be vaccinated, if they have the right language in their contracts (or, if the employees are employees at will).   I’ll bet there will be some disputes about this (not necessarily in MLB, but in general).   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, employers can require their employees to be vaccinated, if they have the right language in their contracts (or, if the employees are employees at will).   I’ll bet there will be some disputes about this (not necessarily in MLB, but in general).   

As there should be.

I would guess the players can always opt out of the season if they want.

53 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

What will the minor leagues do with their seasons? Those owners wont want to play in empty ballparks. 

I have been wondering about this too, but more hoping the MLB boot-dragging would be offset by regular April minor league play.

Entertainment-wise for the Orioles org in '21, missing a month or two at the MLB level wouldn't be too painful.   If the KBO can get on ESPN, why not the Eastern or International League?   In April I'd be waaay more juiced to get to see a Baumann/Hall/Rodriguez full game than Kremer/Akin, etc.   Maybe even first looks at the Smith, Stallings types too.

It boils down to:

1. The owners want to minimize how long they have to play with the stands empty (and/or nearly empty)

2. The players want to play as much as possible to get as much of their pay as possible

I think we see a fan-less spring training again (which is sad for me since I live in Florida), but the owners want to push the regular season as far as possible in hopes that the general populous has enough access to the vaccine to allow case numbers to drop and stadiums to open up (at least to a point where they can fill up to nearly 50% capacity). If I had to guess, we end up with spring training starting in mid-March, the regular season kicking off in late April with limited seating available, opening back up as the season progresses.