Orioles no longer only Baltimore baseball team with Major League titles. Black Sox and Elite Giants now recognized

Roll Tide

Yesterday was a momentous day in baseball history as for the first time, MLB announced that it will officially recognize the baseball teams of the Negro League teams across seven different leagues through the first half of the 20th century as being major league teams. For the vast majority of the players who played before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in MLB, this was their only opportunity to play. They have always been major leaguers, but it’s nice for MLB to finally correct this oversight.

The change in designation adds at least two official major league titles to Baltimore baseball history. The Baltimore Black Sox were champions of the American Negro League in 1929, and in 1939, the Baltimore Elite Giants, operating in the Negro National League, took the Negro National Title. The Elite Giants won again in 1949, after Robinson was playing in Brooklyn, but MLB’s announcement only covered through 1948. I’m not sure how that one counts.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2020/12/17/22178424/orioles-news-rumors-baltimore-negro-league-history

Cool ....Probably should of been long ago.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I should probably know this, but is there any recognition for either the Black Sox and Elite Giants at OPACY?  Or for that matter, the 1894-96 NL Champs?  All of them should be up there with the pennants below the stands behind home plate.

They certainly aren't up there with the pennants in the lower deck behind home plate.

If there is a display of non-modern-Oriole MLB/NLB history in Baltimore somewhere, I haven't seen it.   And I've wandered the park looking at interesting things like the Maryland Sports Hall of Fame display, the display wall that shows the historical evolution of the Oriole Bird logo, and the Memorial Stadium remembrance display outside the stadium with the urn and the original Time Will Not Dim The Glory Of Their Deeds letters.

So I'd say what you are looking for doesn't exist.

36 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They certainly aren't up there with the pennants in the lower deck behind home plate.

If there is a display of non-modern-Oriole MLB/NLB history in Baltimore somewhere, I haven't seen it.   And I've wandered the park looking at interesting things like the Maryland Sports Hall of Fame display, the display wall that shows the historical evolution of the Oriole Bird logo, and the Memorial Stadium remembrance display outside the stadium with the urn and the original Time Will Not Dim The Glory Of Their Deeds letters.

So I'd say what you are looking for doesn't exist.

From my history posting here I'd say that's a problem that tens of us in the area are clamoring to be fixed, so it needs to be remedied as soon as possible.

One problem with displaying memorabilia from the old NL Orioles and the IL Orioles is that a lot of it burned up in the Oriole Park fire in '44.  But if they're looking for a minimalist solution painting five extra pennants on the lower deck display would take about eight hours and $30 in material.

I think the O's and Jays need to wear 1920 period uniforms for a game commemorating the '20 IL pennant race.  On August 28, Toronto had a one game lead over Baltimore, then went 20-2 the rest of the season and finished 2.5 games behind the Orioles who won their last 25 games.

There are like six of us history buffs here who'd be really into that.  But selling the jerseys, that would bring in the dramatically larger crowd of memorabilia and baseball stuff hoarders.

They've worn Black Sox jerseys at some point, haven't they?

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

From my history posting here I'd say that's a problem that tens of us in the area are clamoring to be fixed, so it needs to be remedied as soon as possible.

One problem with displaying memorabilia from the old NL Orioles and the IL Orioles is that a lot of it burned up in the Oriole Park fire in '44.  But if they're looking for a minimalist solution painting five extra pennants on the lower deck display would take about eight hours and $30 in material.

Oriole Park burned up like a tinderbox. Now I understand why my grandfather made a big deal about it. 

slgMdtyfboxgOuuGkmQ0r-oRpSXVeS4c9DrHeosL

uWDF8YQZLhGfIfb92IWRoikZzxXF3QaoYwCTc0Kn

8MxhB7ntPAoLiLz1RKLgXDMlI1J5HJZDrH0q8Aeb

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Oriole Park burned up like a tinderbox. Now I understand why my grandfather made a big deal about it. 

slgMdtyfboxgOuuGkmQ0r-oRpSXVeS4c9DrHeosL

uWDF8YQZLhGfIfb92IWRoikZzxXF3QaoYwCTc0Kn

8MxhB7ntPAoLiLz1RKLgXDMlI1J5HJZDrH0q8Aeb

The first big modern ballpark building craze was the introduction of steel-and-concrete parks around 1910.  They just assumed, for good reason, that old wooden ones would eventually burn down so they were never designed as big, permanent monuments to the game.  Oriole Park had to have been one of the last major wood parks, starting it's life as Terrapin Park for the Federal League in '14, just after places like Shibe Park in Philly and League Park in Cleveland opened.

In the 1890s so many parks burned that a rumor was going around of a serial baseball arsonist.

15 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I should probably know this, but is there any recognition for either the Black Sox and Elite Giants at OPACY?  Or for that matter, the 1894-96 NL Champs?  All of them should be up there with the pennants below the stands behind home plate.

Should they change the name to Orioles/Elite Giants/Black Sox Park at Camden Yards?  ?

It would be very cool to have some kind of exhibit in the Orioles museum at least.   I’d love to go to the Negro Leagues museum in Kansas City sometime.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Should they change the name to Orioles/Elite Giants/Black Sox Park at Camden Yards?  ?

It would be very cool to have some kind of exhibit in the Orioles museum at least.   I’d love to go to the Negro Leagues museum in Kansas City sometime.   

Yea, but that would involve going to Kansas City.  I've already checked off every state but Arkansas, so that seems unlikely.  Maybe when I'm retired in the 2030s I'll finally take that cross-country road trip in a completely nonsensical car and stop in on the way.