Snell to Padres

Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I never said this was a bad deal.  I said I wasn't impressed by the return.  Maybe this was the best possible deal, I can still be unimpressed.

In general I'd rather get fewer players that are more likely to provide value on the ML team than more players with a lesser chance.

But how are you basing the definition of “more likely to provide value on the ML team”?  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

But how are you basing the definition of “more likely to provide value on the ML team”?  

I know you are just trying to get me to say prospect lists.  ?

But I don't even have to mention what industry experts say.

I could just mention the inexperience of the players acquired and how as a general role players that are further away carry more risk.

Or I could just use basic logic.  If it was a 4+1 for 2 trade than it's logical that either the Padres grossly, and I mean grossly overpaid or that the parties involved don't value the four prospects that highly.  We do have a history of similar trades and returns to compare it to.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know you are just trying to get me to say prospect lists.  ?

But I don't even have to mention what industry experts say.

I could just mention the inexperience of the players acquired and how as a general role players that are further away carry more risk.

Or I could just use basic logic.  If it was a 4+1 for 2 trade than it's logical that either the Padres grossly, and I mean grossly overpaid or that the parties involved don't value the four prospects that highly.  We do have a history of similar trades and returns to compare it to.

No, I want your actual answer.  I mean, it’s obvious prospect rankings mean something to you even if you don’t want to admit it.

If your logic is “you want someone closer to the majors”, that’s fine.  I understand that.  The issue I have with that is, why would you want a lesser talent just because they are closer?(assuming the talent is lesser, which is a fair assumption in this case)

The only question I would want to know is, if they had paid some of his salary, would the return have been better?  Would you have gotten those higher ranked, closer to the majors type guys?  If you had thrown them 10-15M, is the package way better.  If so, I think that’s the better move although it’s easier to say that when it’s not your money.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, I want your actual answer.  I mean, it’s obvious prospect rankings mean something to you even if you don’t want to admit it.

If your logic is “you want someone closer to the majors”, that’s fine.  I understand that.  The issue I have with that is, why would you want a lesser talent just because they are closer?(assuming the talent is lesser, which is a fair assumption in this case)

The only question I would want to know is, if they had paid some of his salary, would the return have been better?  Would you have gotten those higher ranked, closer to the majors type guys?  If you had thrown them 10-15M, is the package way better.  If so, I think that’s the better move although it’s easier to say that when it’s not your money.

I'm happy to admit that what experts in the field think influences my opinion.  I was just pointing out that your post was an attempt to get a "gotcha" moment and that I didn't even need to bring up what the community thinks to reach a conclusion.

I also didn't say that I want someone closer to the majors.  I most certainly didn't say I want a lesser talent, in fact I said the opposite. 

If I were the Cubs I would have tried, if ownership had allowed it, to pay some money to increase the perceived value of the players coming back.  I'm doubtful ownership would have been on board and I have no idea if the Padres had interest in such a deal.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm happy to admit that what experts in the field think influences my opinion.  I was just pointing out that your post was an attempt to get a "gotcha" moment and that I didn't even need to bring up what the community thinks to reach a conclusion.

I also didn't say that I want someone closer to the majors.  I most certainly didn't say I want a lesser talent, in fact I said the opposite. 

If I were the Cubs I would have tried, if ownership had allowed it, to pay some money to increase the perceived value of the players coming back.  I'm doubtful ownership would have been on board and I have no idea if the Padres had interest in such a deal.

Not really trying to get a gotcha moment but you are the one who had an issue because I implied that was part of, if not all of, your reasoning.  Don’t get so upset if it’s the truth.  It’s fine to admit it.  I just think we all take that stuff too far.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, OrioleDog said:

Just the huge deal part.   The fun of 2021 will be seeing if the existing core proves itself good enough to be somewhere a star FA in the 2022 class would actually consider coming ala Padres Machado.   Correa's youth and Elias history make him the most likely candidate of the main four SS to me, and of course it's in play we're still LOL Orioles to excellent big leaguers a year from now.

The advantage I hope the Peak Rutschman Teams will hold over the Rays will be the willingness to continue employing good players even after they pass an Arb1 salary level.   

Its possible the '22 payroll is Davis $21M swansong, $8M for Arb3 Trey, $4M for Arb2 Santander, $3M for Arb1 Means (more actually, I hope) and 20-some minimum guys.   

So change one of those minimums to $35M Lindor, and I think the delta is about $47M to $82M before you start Davis-goofing around with Lindor (Correa/Story/Baez/Scherzer/Bryant/Arenado/Verlander/Greinke....) structures like 20/40/40/40/40 to keep the 2022-2023 payrolls with Lindor about $70M each.

I can't see the O's handing out a $35 mill/yr contract to anyone after the Davis contract debacle.  My hope is that with the huge number of big money free agents next year, a "Tejada" opportunity appears.  By which I mean a top free agent that is being passed over by other teams.  Wouldn't mind settling for say Correa for a much smaller contract. 

This offseason seems to point to the likelihood that MLB teams are less likely to give out $30 mill/yr contracts to any and every player that made an All Star team.