BA Mock Draft: Jack Leiter

WarehouseChatter

The latest Baseball America mock draft has us selecting Jack Leiter with the 5th pick.  Clearly he has pedigree and was highly touted out of high school (although selected in the 20th round, he had a strong commitment to Vandy which led to him slipping).  I had previously seen Rocker and Leiter going 1-2 in previous drafts.  Thoughts on Leiter?  Is there more hype due to his name vs. actual performance success?  Curious as to the board’s thoughts.

Its a profile where I'd hope for Gregg Olson/Mike Leake things to happen.  The polish of his entire life experience is I think why he performs in this stratosphere at 20, 21 years old.  

You look at Grayson and can dream the Jonathan Ogden dreams the fastballs go on forever, and I don't think there's any of that here.

That said, its a demographic I'd find encouraging for the hope Elias plans to flip the switch for '22.   And then in the '22 draft I'm good with the full-on Gregg Olson type guy for the mid-decade crescendo.

If we're full Astros/Cubs mimics though, its more likely bats and buy the pitchers later.   Some of why I'm rather optimistic for the peak Rutschman teams is we have Hall/Rodriguez/Baumann so far so good before the blueprint Bryant/Rizzo/Schwarber/Springer/Bregman/Correa/Rutschman/Kjerstad the world's best 21 year old hitters are a good place to start hoping for the world's best 25 year old hitters you chase rings with.

• Upvote 1

I don't really know anything about the amateur draft prospects anymore, so I usually go to the below link and click on the little black "Report" box to the right to get a quick blurb. I know FanGraphs is not end all/be all, but the quick synopsis help me get an idea of who the player is and what the could be capable of. Just in case it helps:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2021-mlb-draft/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Its a profile where I'd hope for Gregg Olson/Mike Leake things to happen.  The polish of his entire life experience is I think why he performs in this stratosphere at 20, 21 years old.  

You look at Grayson and can dream the Jonathan Ogden dreams the fastballs go on forever, and I don't think there's any of that here.

That said, its a demographic I'd find encouraging for the hope Elias plans to flip the switch for '22.   And then in the '22 draft I'm good with the full-on Gregg Olson type guy for the mid-decade crescendo.

If we're full Astros/Cubs mimics though, its more likely bats and buy the pitchers later.   Some of why I'm rather optimistic for the peak Rutschman teams is we have Hall/Rodriguez/Baumann so far so good before the blueprint Bryant/Rizzo/Schwarber/Springer/Bregman/Correa/Rutschman/Kjerstad the world's best 21 year old hitters are a good place to start hoping for the world's best 25 year old hitters you chase rings with.

Wut?