How much will outfielders and 1B play in 2021?

wildcard

I looked at the scheduled number of games an Orioles  could play and compared it to how many they did play over the last 3 years.   Not playing could have been because of injury,  rest, or managers discretion.   

Here is what I found if this is projected forward to a 162 game season:

Mountcastle:   82% of games:  132 games

Mancini:  81% of games: 131 games

Santander: 77% of games: 125 games

Hays: 59% of games:  96 games

Mullins:  93% of games: 151 games,  but only starts vs right-handed pitching: 118 games.  Called in to play defense in the others.

Diaz:  63% of games of 102 after callup.  64 games.     I have him spending 2 months at AAA.

McKenna:  Called up whenever Hays or Mullins are on the DL.   77 games mostly spent on the bench or as a defensive replacement.

Number of games for 1B, LF, CF and RF in a 162 games season: 648 games

Number of games shown above:  666 games

Its all guess work but I thought it was interesting to see what percentage of games the players had played of the last 3 years.

Are you just giving DH to Stewart there?   He's another reserve if Shaw beats him, or anything like that.

I think the club hopes those 6 guys cover the 5 spots (I would give DH to this group over Stewart), if their health lets them.   Overall Mullins probably 6th best there, but he complements rest of group so well.

A lot of the early health returns are really spotty there, but there was a little while in the beginning we thought Adam Jones was brittle too.   Obviously for enjoying ST approach, new year, etc I'm taking so far so good Trey reports at face value.  

20 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Are you just giving DH to Stewart there?   He's another reserve if Shaw beats him, or anything like that.

I think the club hopes those 6 guys cover the 5 spots (I would give DH to this group over Stewart), if their health lets them.   Overall Mullins probably 6th best there, but he complements rest of group so well.

A lot of the early health returns are really spotty there, but there was a little while in the beginning we thought Adam Jones was brittle too.   Obviously for enjoying ST approach, new year, etc I'm taking so far so good Trey reports at face value.  

Stewart   77% or 124 games

Shaw  80% or 129 games

1 minute ago, Matt Bennett said:

McKenna and Diaz will start in AAA and stay there most the year unless they really push the issue or injuries force them to come up.

6 guys over the 5 positions in some fashion. If Nunez didn’t fit I don’t see why Chris Shaw would. 

1.  Money,  Nunez was reported to get 2m- 4m.  Shaw will get the minimum.     

2.  Shaw and Stewart both have an option left.  Nunez was out of options.

3. The O's have a predominately right handed lineup with Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Severino, Diaz, Valaika, Martin, Bannon and Urias.   Shaw or Stewart helps balance the offense along with Santander (s),  Sisco, Sanchez(s), Ruiz and Mullins who is a switchhitter but really only hits well from the left side. 

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1.  Money,  Nunez was reported to get 2m- 4m.  Shaw will get the minimum.     

2.  Shaw and Stewart both have an option left.  Nunez was out of options.

3. The O's have a predominately right handed lineup with Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Severino, Diaz, Valaika, Martin, Bannon and Urias.   Shaw or Stewart helps balance the offense along with Santander (s),  Sisco, Sanchez(s), Ruiz and Mullins who is a switchhitter but really only hits well from the left side. 

Shaw is in direct competition with Stewart. He will not impact anyone else. 

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If Mullins starts 118 games this year, we must really be trying to lose or everyone is hurt.

I think these are fairly reasonable expectations.  I would hope Santander plays more and I think Mountcastle is likely to play 145+ games unless he gets hurt.  

If Mullins plays, not starts in 118 games it could be a good or bad thing. Injuries/lack of production from others or playing with a lead a lot. 

How they handle DH assuming Trey is good to go will be a storyline early this year.