Santander drawing interest

Jammer7

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you'd tell him to lie to the O's?

I'm confused here.  You have all the draft projections in front of you and you see that your son is projected to go ~9th.  So if the O's call and say we will pay him #7.5 money to go #2 you would tell your son to say yes and then change your demand?  Tell the O's up front to pay him 1-2 money?

Even if they actually had your son #1 on their board they'd tell you to pound sand.

Then you have your son, the senior, reentering the draft.

Yes ....And why not? He doesn’t owe the Orioles anything. Do you really think MLB teams especially the Orioles are good on their word. If so I’ll have some of whatever you are smoking.

7.5 was fair value...he took over 2 million less.

Id be doing what’s best for my son ...not the Orioles. As a father who we know with a fair amount of certainty wasn’t an Orioles fan before they chose him. Even if he was an Orioles fan He’d still owe loyalty to his son over a team that was owned by this ownership group. 

And you’d have more leverage once the selection was made as they would agree to a fair contract or as you said send him back to the draft. 

Do you really think the Orioles would give up on Kjerstad over a couple million dollars once they drafted him?

Not to mention that the PR hit they would take by their main stream fans who already believe the Orioles are cheap?

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I never said they took BPA.  I don’t know how they ranked him.  What I do know is that they felt he was worthy of that pick and that he was a better value, along with else they could sign, vs signing Martin.  That is a fact and it’s very obvious.

You are hung up that he took less.  So what?  That happens every single draft.  Is Correa a bad player because he took less money?  Is he a failure?

And I don’t get what you mean about them saying negative stuff.  WTf does that have to do with anything?

And btw, it is obvious that they passed on Martin for money...but it’s also possible they liked Kjerstad more.  There was a lot of talk from people that Martin was just a second baseman with questionable power.    If Elias felt he wouldn’t play SS or CF and/or that his power wouldn’t play in the majors and that could effect his BA/OBP numbers, it’s very reasonable and smart not to pick him.  Personally, I’m glad they didn’t pick him.  Before the draft, I was hoping for a Veen.  I think his upside was the highest but I also recognize the risk of the college bat.  

If they were going to take a MIer, I would have rather had Gonzalez vs Martin I think but that would also depend on what scouts felt about his bat and how his stats were inflated playing in New Mexico.

At 2.6 million dollars less! 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes ....And why not? He doesn’t owe the Orioles anything. Do you really think MLB teams especially the Orioles are good on their word. If so I’ll have some of whatever you are smoking.

Id be doing what’s best for my son ...not the Orioles. As a father who we know with a fair amount of certainty wasn’t an Orioles fan before they chose him. Even if he was an Orioles fan He’d still owe loyalty to his son over a team that was owned by this ownership group. 

And you’d have more leverage once the selection was made as they would agree to a fair contract or as you said send him back to the draft. 

Do you really think the Orioles would give up on Kjerstad over a couple million dollars once they drafted him?

Not to mention that the PR hit they would take by their main stream fans who already believe the Orioles are cheap?

That wouldn’t be best for your son.  You would be screwing over your son in a big way.  You are just wrong about this, just like you were that he took 7.5M less.  You should just drop that part of your argument.

And yes, they would give him up on him over that money and they should.  That’s not how you negotiate.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you'd tell your son to negotiate in poor faith with the Orioles.

Classy.

Also, way to probably cost your son millions of dollars since if I'm the O's I happily pick 1-3 in 2021 while your son is a senior draftee with  zero leverage and a reputation for being untrustworthy.  (sorry if you are a mom and not a dad)

Edit- Also you will have royally pissed off your son's actual advisor by slandering them.

back.png

No problem.....you have the right to your opinion. But, Kjerstad needs that 2.5 million more than the greedy ownership group of one of their worst ran teams during their tenure.

The slotting system was put into place years ago so that players couldn’t ask for way more money than they deserve. The reward for being the second pick is X number of dollars. Why wouldn’t you want your kid to get paid what he deserves for being the 2nd pick...So the Orioles can way overpay a couple of high school kids a few rounds later. 

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Because I'd want my son to be a man of his word.

I think that yes, in a heartbeat the O's would take the composition pick in the 2021 draft over paying your dishonest son slot.  Wouldn't you in their shoes? 

As for a PR hit, even I wouldn't give the O's crap about not signing a kid that went back on his word.  No way in the world would I believe the O's picked him with the intention of paying him slot.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No problem.....you have the right to your opinion. But, Kjerstad needs that 2.5 million more than the greedy ownership group of one of their worst ran teams during their tenure.

The slotting system was put into place years ago so that players couldn’t ask for way more money than they deserve. The reward for being the second pick is X number of dollars. Why wouldn’t you want your kid to get paid what he deserves for being the 2nd pick...So the Orioles can way overpay a couple of high school kids a few rounds later. 

You do know that if the O's don't sign him they get a replacement pick in the next draft right?  Boy I'd sure hate to have all that slot money in a full sized draft.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That wouldn’t be best for your son.  You would be screwing over your son in a big way.  You are just wrong about this, just like you were that he took 7.5M less.  You should just drop that part of your argument.

And yes, they would give him up on him over that money and they should.  That’s not how you negotiate.  

How .... I’d be getting my son the extra 2.6 million dollars he deserves under baseballs slotting system. 

If Kjerstad ends up being the player his parents hope he is there would be no problem getting a very lucrative deal from any and a

ll of the teams at the MLB level that are not cheap. If he were to bust he received the money he deserved to take care of his family for ever. It’s just business!

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

How .... I’d be getting my son the extra 2.6 million dollars he deserves under baseballs slotting system. 

If Kjerstad ends up being the player his parents hope he is there would be no problem getting a very lucrative deal from any and a

ll of the teams at the MLB level that are not cheap. If he were to bust he received the money he deserved to take care of his family for ever. It’s just business!

No, you wouldn’t get it.  The Os would tell you to GFY.  Your kid would have to go back to school, potentially risking injury or just a failure to produce (and thus receive way less than what he did get) and would have a reputation of being dishonest and poor to work with.

You would have failed him and the entire league would know it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because I'd want my son to be a man of his word.

I think that yes, in a heartbeat the O's would take the composition pick in the 2021 draft over paying your dishonest son slot.  Wouldn't you in their shoes? 

As for a PR hit, even I wouldn't give the O's crap about not signing a kid that went back on his word.  No way in the world would I believe the O's picked him with the intention of paying him slot.

You value that money way more for a greedy, lousy ownership group that you happen to be a fan of! 

If they did ...Kjerstad would likely go to the independent league for a year and if he’s the player you guys claim he is ...He’d likely go higher and get more

Thats not to say you don’t continue to negotiate and maybe you end up with 6.5-7 million instead. 

Kjerstad is represented by Rosen according to the only article I could find. I personally would hire an agent early with the slotting system. As the deal is in parameters of the of the slotting system. If I ran into the issue then you hire Boras or one of the other agents that would be up to the challenge.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You do know that if the O's don't sign him they get a replacement pick in the next draft right?  Boy I'd sure hate to have all that slot money in a full sized draft.

They wouldn’t know they had that money until after the draft. The contract is never signed on draft day ...but surely you knew  that before posting this dumb post!

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, you wouldn’t get it.  The Os would tell you to GFY.  Your kid would have to go back to school, potentially risking injury or just a failure to produce (and thus receive way less than what he did get) and would have a reputation of being dishonest and poor to work with.

You would have failed him and the entire league would know it.

Ok ...you have a right to have your opinion. I’m sure it’s been done in the past and I’m sure in many cases the player was signed anyway. But whatever dude ...you know it all! I can’t believe the Orioles are so Effin stupid not to hire you as their GM and the Ravens at the same time! What a bunch of idiots!

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Ok ...you have a right to have your opinion. I’m sure it’s been done in the past and I’m sure in many cases the player was signed anyway. But whatever dude ...you know it all! I can’t believe the Orioles are so Effin stupid not to hire you as their GM and the Ravens at the same time! What a bunch of idiots!

Please find me one instance in which we know a player lied to a team about his salary demands and the team acquiesced to his new demand.

You ever notice that even guys like AR sign for below slot?

The player has a lot more to lose than the team.  You think your son is going to do better than #7.5 money as a senior with a tarnished reputation?

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They wouldn’t know they had that money until after the draft. The contract is never signed on draft day ...but surely you knew  that before posting this dumb post!

I don't even understand what you are trying to say here.

If the O's don't sign him they get the 1-3 pick in the 2021 draft.  That would leave them with two high picks in that draft and a ton of pool money compared to other teams.