Santander drawing interest

Jammer7

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You can bet if a thread has reached 21 pages on the OH, the topic has changed.

I'm growing increasingly skeptical of Santander being on the OD roster.  At the very least, I don't think he'll be here after the trading deadline, especially if Diaz is somehow raking in AA or AAA.

When I heard him and the team are going to arbitration the first thing I did was suggest he might get traded. 

59 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Once Kjerstad was selected his selection would be announced. The Agent tells them he wants money more fair for the slot he was selected. The other selections in the draft would’ve already been made so ...how in the heck would it change your dray strategy? It couldn’t possibly unless Kjerstads agent told the Orioles immediately after the selection...something they clearly wouldn’t do. 

So you could pay a couple of later picks more money after yo7 had already selected them anyway?

******* Oh got it ...In the next draft! Ok ....so you would again advocate on passing the BPA to cut a deal with a lesser player. 

Kjerstad had a number and the Orioles knew that number before they drafted him. There have been cases of players in the past changing their number after getting drafted, but it's pretty rare as that is part of the process and is pretty well defined now. 

This allows teams to do what the Orioles did this year with Kjerstad so they could get high ceiling high school kids in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Team also do this during normal drafts by drafting senior signs or cheap $10k players in 5th-10th rounds so they can use the savings to get guys with high numbers in other draft positions within the first ten rounds.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Kjerstad had a number and the Orioles knew that number before they drafted him. There have been cases of players in the past changing their number after getting drafted, but it's pretty rare as that is part of the process and is pretty well defined now. 

This allows teams to do what the Orioles did this year with Kjerstad so they could get high ceiling high school kids in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Team also do this during normal drafts by drafting senior signs or cheap $10k players in 5th-10th rounds so they can use the savings to get guys with high numbers in other draft positions within the first ten rounds.

I get the process and its fine....I'm just moving the goal post ?

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:47 AM, Roll Tide said:

I think he accepted less with the first pick in order to overslot later. Didn’t like the pick when it was made and still think we passed on the BPA. I don’t have anything against Kjerstad and as an Oriole fan want him to be a good major league player. I thought it was pretty obvious the approach that the organization took....guess I’m mistaken ?

BTW, I never buy anything that these guys tell reporters, media etc to justify a move.

Happy Birthday

• Like 1

Seems like a situation where Miami is coming off a playoff appearance and thinks they have a shot again this season. Even with the different circumstances. 

We could take advantage of that and trade them Santander, Severino, and Armstrong. We could get a package of players for 2022+.  Also, this would likely prompt them to DFA Zach Pop and hopefully he could clear waivers and come back here. 

Would they give up SS Jazz Chisholm?  He made his debut last year. #60ish prospect in all of MLB. We could keep him in AAA in 2021. Big time athlete with power. Low BA. Seems like an “extra” part for Miami right now, but a SS of the future for us. Miami gets three guys to contribute right away. We get a SS of the future and salary relief. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Saw that.  Pretty obvious that they are out on Santander now and that they never made an offer, or at least one that Elias considered good enough.

Duvall's basically a platoon LFer - and is ordinary at best in LF - though he did make a great homerun saving catch last season.  Kindofan odd contract - he's just getting 2 mil this season, but he has 3 mil guaranteed next season on a 7 mil mutual option - so 5 mil is guaranteed.  2 straight good years after a terrible one.  Braves non-tendered him, and he's 32.        

16 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Saw that.  Pretty obvious that they are out on Santander now and that they never made an offer, or at least one that Elias considered good enough.

I think it’s safe to say that if reports are true, that the Os valued him more than Miami.

Of course, we don’t know that the reports are true.