O’s Sign Galvis. 1/$1.25 million

LookinUp

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Me either, but apparently they believe Galvis is a significantly better player then he's been over the last few years offensively and the major drop off last year defensively was apparently an aberration, because players normally get better at 31. 

I don't hate this move, I just don't see what it does all that much. I think they could have player Sanchez at SS and probably gotten the same defense and allowed Valaika or Urias to play 2B every day to see what they have. But hey, why not bring in a 31-year old with bad defensive numbers last year and well below average stick?

You’re putting a lot of emphasis on the Statcast numbers.    Fangraphs has him at +2.6 UZR/150, BB-ref has him at O Rtot and +1 DRS.   I like the Statcast numbers but where I’ve got three sources saying a player is average or slightly above and one source saying he’s below, I’m not going to put too much emphasis on the one negative number that’s out there, especially for a guy who has generally had a good defensive reputation.  

I’m also not convinced that Sanchez, who has played less than 100 innings at SS in the majors in 7 years, can be a solid major league SS.   Given the choice between Galvis and Sanchez defensively at SS, I’d certainly think Galvis is a much better bet.   Sanchez is also a slightly worse hitter.    

So, I am not excited about this move, but at $1.5 mm, it’s okay.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You’re putting a lot of emphasis on the Statcast numbers.    Fangraphs has him at +2.6 UZR/150, BB-ref has him at O Rtot and +1 DRS.   I like the Statcast numbers but where I’ve got three sources saying a player is average or slightly above and one source saying he’s below, I’m not going to put too much emphasis on the one negative number that’s out there, especially for a guy who has generally had a good defensive reputation.  

I’m also not convinced that Sanchez, who has played less than 100 innings at SS in the majors in 7 years, can be a solid major league SS.   Given the choice between Galvis and Sanchez defensively at SS, I’d certainly think Galvis is a much better bet.   Sanchez is also a slightly worse hitter.    

So, I am not excited about this move, but at $1.5 mm, it’s okay.  

Not to mention, I have no idea why anyone is putting stock in any defensive stats that are over a SSS.  They have enough noise as it is over a full season, much less 1/3 of one.

Sanchez and Valaika sounds terrible to me.  

Sanchez won a GG at second.  He’s a good defensive second baseman.  That’s why you signed him.  He needs to stay there.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

[Sidebar:  why is chopped liver the universal analogy for something that is bad?   Why are "hotcakes" always the example of something that sells very quickly?]

Because liver sucks. WASTE of GOOD onions. :puke:

Hotcakes... I'm not sure...

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t understand how anyone can be upset that Iglesias was traded.

And no one is excited about this move.  We are just accepting of it.  

I’m not upset that we traded Iglesias...but why spend over a million in this guy. Just sign a Guy for the minimum or they should’ve drafted a rule 5 guy with a plus glove.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not upset that we traded Iglesias...but why spend over a million in this guy. Just sign a Guy for the minimum or they should’ve drafted a rule 5 guy with a plus glove.

Because they basically did exactly what you are saying a few years ago and Martin wasn’t a ML player.   And maybe that player didn’t exist in the rule 5 this year?  Maybe they didn’t like any of them?  

So, they signed someone they deem to be an actual representation of what a ML player should be able to be.

Martin is still here as a back up.  The money means nothing or else they wouldn’t have done it.  No reason to even mention that aspect of things.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because they basically did exactly what you are saying a few years ago and Martin wasn’t a ML player.   And maybe that player didn’t exist in the rule 5 this year?  Maybe they didn’t like any of them?  

So, they signed someone they deem to be an actual representation of what a ML player should be able to be.

Martin is still here as a back up.  The money means nothing or else they wouldn’t have done it.  No reason to even mention that aspect of things.

His Defense is trending the wrong way and he has a career OBP just over .300. I don’t hate it but we were asking our better players to defer money on a 1 year cheap salary so why waste money here?

I'm excited!!!  

Last year Tampa Bay went to the World Series.  5 of their top 9 hitters in at bats had a 708 OPS or lower.   Not every player has to be a 800 OPS hitter.   They each needs to do their part.   Now I'm not saying the O's are putting together a World Series team,  but adding a steady SS to the mix is a good step.    The offense comes from Santander, Mancini, Mouncastle, Hays,  with others like Mullins, Severino and Valaika doing their part.

I think we also have to keep in mind where the O's are in the rebuild.  Come the deadline Mancini, Cobb,  Galvis, and Sanchez are on the  trade block.   Martin and Bannon could be starting for the the O's in August.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

His Defense is trending the wrong way and he has a career OBP just over .300. I don’t hate it but we were asking our better players to defer money on a 1 year cheap salary so why waste money here?

You have no idea which way his defense is trending..none of us do because no one here has watched him. 

Your question was already answered.  I don’t know why you keep asking it.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You have no idea which way his defense is trending..none of us do because no one here has watched him. 

Your question was already answered.  I don’t know why you keep asking it.

I'm not going to dig my heels in like War Eagle here, but at 31 I don't expect his defense to be going up.  

Doesn't totally matter, it's a one year deal anyway.  If his defense holds steady from what it was in 2019, that's fine.