Kiley McDaniel (ESPN) top 100 List

joelala

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see why you wouldn’t keep the same money you started with.  Just because you trade down, it doesn’t change that equation.  It just makes it harder for the team trading up to spend as much money in other rounds..but that is lessened by the idea that they would be dealing some of those other picks to move up.

If you trade one of the competitive balance picks you lose the associated slot money.

That's what is called a precedent.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you trade one of the competitive balance picks you lose the associated slot money.

That's what is called a precedent.

Yea, I don’t get the position you are taking here but whatever. 

Money wouldn’t change.  If you enter with a bonus pool of 17 million and you trade down, your pool stays the same.  If you trade up, your pool stays the same.  I don’t think it needs to be complicated beyond that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I don’t get the position you are taking here but whatever. 

Money wouldn’t change.  If you enter with a bonus pool of 17 million and you trade down, your pool stays the same.  If you trade up, your pool stays the same.  I don’t think it needs to be complicated beyond that.

You don't understand it?

You can currently trade some draft picks.

If you do the money associated with those slots go with the slots.

There is no reason to think that would not be the case if they allowed more draft picks to be traded.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't understand it?

There is no reason to think that would not be the case if they allowed more draft picks to be traded.

Yea I don’t think that same rule applies if you trade all picks.  The money would have to come with the picks as its set up...but that changes when you make all picks available.  It’s a very simple thing to change.

Let me go into a bit more depth.  In the scenario above why would the Angels trade up to #2 if they didn't get the increased pool money?  How much leverage do they have picking second if the teams below them have significantly more slot money?  Let's say they want Austin Martin, you think he's signing for 4.7M?  The way the draft is set up the Angels don't even have the option of throwing their entire pool (6.4M) at him.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I don’t think that same rule applies if you trade all picks.  The money would have to come with the picks as its set up...but that changes when you make all picks available.  It’s a very simple thing to change.

Why would you think that?

What basis do you have other than it being something you wish would happen?

4 hours ago, joelala said:

His write up on Grod is very nice:

”Rodriguez was a surprise pick at No. 11 overall in the 2018 draft, both since he was generally thought to go in the back half of the first round and also because he was generally seen behind Matthew Liberatore (80th on this list) and Cole Winn (45+ FV).

Obviously, Baltimore has been more right than that consensus so far and much of that is due to how quickly Rodriguez has made adjustments. While I was at FanGraphs, I took high-speed video of Rodriguez in the Futures Game and saw the mesmerizing screwball-like action he was getting on his new changeup. It went from being a distant third pitch that was never much better than average to a plus pitch. Some of the pitch-design things that Houston is known for (Verlander's new arm slot, fastball spin, etc.) are at work here with former Houston people running the show in Baltimore.

Rodriguez now has four above-average to plus pitches with starter command. If he had a 2020 minor league season, it would not be surprising to have seen him steamroll his way to Double-A and be comfortably in that top tier of troublesome-to-sort pitching prospects above. Only having experience in low-A and not having one 70-grade projected pitch are the two things holding him back thus far, but Rodriguez actually doesn't have a clear concern like all of them do.

Rodriguez may be underranked here, but he'll likely move up 10-15 spots with a strong first half of the 2021 minor league season, as his questions melt away while other prospects graduate.“

Wow, "screwball action on changeup" and "no clear concerns" are very exciting. Add to that the video of him throwing a baseball across the lake, I can't wait to see this guy. Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't understand it?

If you could trade all picks, I think you'd need to overhaul the process to match the money like the NFL.

You trade up to get a higher ranks player because they have higher value to you and the cost should be higher.  Trade down get more picks and lower costs.  It isn't set up that way, but trading picks should remove the 48th rounder getting 2nd round money. 

There is precedent, but to do this I think they'd do better with a larger overhaul than just say you trade picks and the associated value.  Otherwise it diminishes the value of having a cap for the weaker teams in the first place.

3 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

If you could trade all picks, I think you'd need to overhaul the process to match the money like the NFL.

You trade up to get a higher ranks player because they have higher value to you and the cost should be higher.  Trade down get more picks and lower costs.  It isn't set up that way, but trading picks should remove the 48th rounder getting 2nd round money. 

There is precedent, but to do this I think they'd do better with a larger overhaul than just say you trade picks and the associated value.  Otherwise it diminishes the value of having a cap for the weaker teams in the first place.

But if you do it the other way you give teams like the Yankees and Dodgers another avenue to exploit their superior revenue streams.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if you do it the other way you give teams like the Yankees and Dodgers another avenue to exploit their superior revenue streams.

Certainly.  I think finding a good solution is part of why they've limited to to only comp picks. 

At a minimum they'd have to navigate this differently than the NFL and it's not a simple switch.

11 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Certainly.  I think finding a good solution is part of why they've limited to to only comp picks. 

At a minimum they'd have to navigate this differently than the NFL and it's not a simple switch.

I think MLB's version of finding a good solution is to do as little as possible.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think MLB's version of finding a good solution is to do as little as possible.

If it's not scattered into a million pieces don't fix it? 

Won't argue, I do think this one would be tricky.  At the same time a committee of people dedicated to it for a bit should be able to make it work or at minimum test things out like the extras runner at 2nd stuff.  IDK, but I'm not holding my breath.

4 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

If it's not scattered into a million pieces don't fix it? 

Won't argue, I do think this one would be tricky.  At the same time a committee of people dedicated to it for a bit should be able to make it work or at minimum test things out like the extras runner at 2nd stuff.  IDK, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you look at the trading of competitive balance picks as a trial balloon you will see a fair number of the transactions involved teams trading away draft picks in order to shed salary.

Is that something we want to see more of?

Would you be happy if the O's had traded their 2020-2022 first round picks away to dump the Davis contract?

Please don't @me with math over that example, it was a hypothetical situation.